Hasn't pooped, may be straining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra213

He's 4, almost 5 months old. Usually he poops every day, very rarely every other day. Its been 3 days so as a new mom I'm kinda worried. I'm also not sure if he just tried to strain or not, he had his legs really close with his tail up and head up.
He's had a nice long, warm soak, since yesterday he hasn't had much of an appetite for fruits or veggies, I got him to eat a couple small pieces of mango and a couple crickets.
He usually eats dandelion greens, squash, grapes, broccoli and mango as an occasional treat. Crickets are powdered with calcium and multi every other day, crickets are on a calcium/multi diet. Basking area is around 100-103, cold side in the low 80s
I know I'm probably just being an over-worried mom, but is that normal? Is there anything I should try? How many days should I let him go before getting medical attention? I also just got a powder that has a laxitive effect and worm preventative, should I try a little of that?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's probably fine, esp. if he's not acting lethargic or black bearding. You can give him some applesauce, baby food squash, prunes or sweet potato and a few drops of veg. oil mixed in. He'll probably go any day now.

Terra213

Original Poster
AHBD":3a0gkybz said:
He's probably fine, esp. if he's not acting lethargic or black bearding. You can give him some applesauce, baby food squash, prunes or sweet potato and a few drops of veg. oil mixed in. He'll probably go any day now.
Ok, I'll give that a try tonight with another warm soak. He produced some urea crystals, so maybe that's a start?
How long would you say is normal at his age? I tried looking around online and it seems like everyone has a different timeline. Some people said if they hadn't by three days it was a problem, some people said only start to worry if its been more than a week

Terra213

Original Poster
Update: he just went after his second soaking and it was very undigested. Like there was something that looked like a small cricket leg in there and I could tell what was squash and what was dandelion greens. Will that happen if you feed too many greens or is that more a sign of worms?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Might just be an upset stomach passing things through undigested. I'd just watch it for now. If it continues like that for a few weeks then taking a sample to the vet might be a good idea. If it's an upset stomach it should resolve on it's own before then. Might be a good idea to try limiting or cutting out fruit for now as that sometimes causes some digestive issues for them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
double check the warm zone temperature and basking spot temperature …. may be too low .

how are you measuring these and with what ?

also : double check the lighting / heat schedule and the feeding schedule …. may be getting some food too late in the day and getting enough time at temperature start digesting it before you turn off the heat and lights.

Terra213

Original Poster
Cooper- is there anything else food wise I should avoid ike squash? Or should I just let him go with his crickets?
King- I was actually worried I was messing him up with his feeding schedule. I used to get home a lot later because of the bus, so he'd get fed later at night. But I moved to a closer apartment so he's been eating a little earlier. I never feed him within 2 hours of him going to bed so he can get plenty of heat and have time to digest. Should I try bumping that window up to 3 hours?
His cooler side does fluctuate a little, but at its lowest its like the high 70s and its never gone past 85. Basking area I do everything I can to keep it no lower than 100. If it gets to 100 I turn on his CHE and move it closer to the basking side. I try to keep it no higher than 105 when I'm away just in case it creeps up a degree or two, and that's just because I've heard mixed things about temperatures past 105 and just not having that experience yet with their temperature needs I thought it would be better to err on the side of caution. If I'm wrong there please let me know and I'll adjust it, I want my little buddy to be happy. Uvb bulb is a 26 watt, I don't remember the basking bulb wattage off the top of my head, it was the warmest one I could find for a dome light

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How far is your 26w UVB bulb from the basking area? Is it a UVB200? 150? Generally those need to be about 6-8'' above the main basking area to be effective.

As far as food goes you'll have to play around with it a bit. High water content food like squash could contribute to the messy poops so I'd keep it out for a few days and see what happens. If you keep swapping food out for a few days at a time and observing you might find the culprit.

Terra213

Original Poster
I did go a few days without squash and it didn't help. I ended up taking him to the vet today because he just wasn't looking himself and he did have an abnormally large amount of Coccidia in his sample, so the vet gave me some dewormer and hopefully in a week he'll be back to his normal self. I did not realize that about the uvb so I'm going to be changing that around, its a little higher up than that

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Coccidia can be tough on them. Did the vet prescribe Ponazuril? That's a pretty effective medication and works pretty quickly. Be sure to sanitize anything that comes in contact with poop using either ammonia/water mixture or steam to help prevent re-infection. I hope he feels better soon with the meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom