Protrusion from vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just adopted this bearded dragon yesterday. He (pretty sure now) is about a year old, and yesterday when I was handling him I noticed something coming out of his vent. I looked it up, and everyone said to try soaks, but I wanted to see if anyone could identify this.

It's hard when you touch it. The substrate is that calcium sand which I intend to change out when given the chance, but it's made him, and that protrusion orange which makes it difficult to identify for me.

So I snapped a picture of it.

bV2MqY7.jpg

I did try soaking him today, but he seemed more interested in climbing around on me and bobbing his head at everything lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm concerned about him, but he is active and very attentive. So he doesn't seem distressed.

LunarFirefly

Original Poster
Hey!

Thanks for the quick reply. That's good to hear, thank you. Will it come out on its own? I'm still quite new with these guys, and my younger male is only about 4-5 months old.

Thanks again!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it is a seminal plug which is very common in males!
It should work itself out gradually but you can try soaking him again to see if that helps. It will
probably come out on its own next time he goes to the bathroom.

Tracie

LunarFirefly

Original Poster
Drache613":bg9uj93f said:
Hello,

I agree, it is a seminal plug which is very common in males!
It should work itself out gradually but you can try soaking him again to see if that helps. It will
probably come out on its own next time he goes to the bathroom.

Tracie

Hey thanks for the reply.

He actually went to the bathroom earlier and it didn't come out. I'll try soaking him again tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks for the info!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, well that is normal. On some occasions, you can gently apply some pressure & try to pull
it out when he is in the bath, if it softens up. Sometimes you can get them out without too
much trouble. He will be fine. It doesn't seem to be bothering him does it?

Tracie

LunarFirefly

Original Poster
No it isn't bothering him at all. He seems perfectly active and has a good appetite.

I managed to soften it up and gently pulled it out but it was just a little piece of white material and he had defecated earlier today before I gave him his bath so maybe it just got stuck there? Was there suppose to be more?

Thanks for the help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh so it did come out today then?
Some of it may have come off previously if it was fairly short. They aren't huge, no so that is
probably all that there was.
That's great it's all taken care of now though. :D

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

Yes, That Is just a normal seminal plug. My male beardies get those all the time and it's perfectly normal. It's also normal for them to bob at everything. My only male, Loki has been bobbing at everything everywhere he goes. :roll: It's just hormones for both the sperm plug and the head bobbing. Hopefully the behaviour will dampen down a bit in a few months.

Also Is your beardie on sand? Like colored sand? Because the shade of his scales look similar to the stained ones of one of my rescue beardies who was kept on sand and her scales got stained a reddish-orange/pink. She still has a bit of the shade on her but it is shedding off.

-HippieLizards.

LunarFirefly

Original Poster
Hey,

Yeah I just got him off of that gawd awful sand. His previous owner had him on it because apparently the vet recommended it, but I'm well aware that it's not good for them. Right now I have him on paper towels. I spent the better part of yesterday soaking his things, and trying to get that stain off rocks, and his dishes and stuff but it's probably a permanent addition at this point. His tank got a good bleaching too, and yes I made sure it was all flushed out before putting him back in there :)

He seems happier, though. Still bobbing his head aggressively at everything of course but all around I suspect he feels better. The sand stank too so I imagine the smell was bothersome as well.

It amazes me how much dust flies off that stuff. And how badly it stains things x.x And how easily it gets everywhere. Ugh.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Ok good. :) I'm glad you got him off of that horrid sand. Daisy had a similar problem. For the first week of having her, Her entire underbelly area was stained a horrid pinkish red color and when I put her in the bath (probably for the first time in her entire life because there was lots of dirt, Poop, Sand, Retained shed and old food stuck on her and she was very happy to be cleaner) and Started scrubbing the water turned to a rusty orange/brown color. :bleick:

She still has slightly pink feet but now most of her body is back to a beautiful greyish white color. She also was never let out of her cage due to her previous owners having three indoor cats and a Humongous dog. So she has always been very active and loves baths and get lots of exploring time :) . So I Know how you feel about sand. It Is the absolute worst thing EVER (But seriously, a VET recommended that?!?! :angry5:).

Also thankfully the stained skin will come off during his next shed so when he sheds he will be free from the horrid sand stained scales. :blob5: I Have always hated sand and it really is one of those things that was better left undiscovered for herps. :x

But I'm glad that he is active and head bobby. That means that he is feeling healthy enough to want to mate instead of being sickly. :D So at least he feels good! :)

View media item 60404 Daisy says Hi. :)

-HippieLizards.

LunarFirefly

Original Poster
Aw Daisy looks great! What a pretty girl!

Here's a quick piccy of my new boy.

lHam6a9.jpg

I'm excited to see how he looks without the orange staining his scales. Looks like he went through a recent shed so it might be a bit.

There is no longer any residue around his vent so it seems the seminal plug is completely cleared out. What exactly is that for anyway?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Lol Thank you. :) and he is an absolutely gorgeous leatherback with maybe some citrus or sandfire patterning in him. He does look slightly underweight but still looking good. :)

and the seminal plug... I'm not exactly sure about that. :? I'll have to look it up. :study:

LunarFirefly

Original Poster
Thank you :3

Not sure he's a leatherback though. And I had some suspicion he has some natural orange in him as well. Hopefully we'll see soon! I'll definitely keep you posted.

He's getting plenty to eat now. I gave him a bowl full of collard greens, bok choy, acorn squash, and parsnip yesterday. As well as a couple horn worms, and I try to feed him crickets once a day. I'm so use to feeding mostly insects to my little guy, I have to get into the habit of stocking up his veggie bowl and making sure he has everything he needs since their diet shifts when they're older.

Any advice for older bearded dragons?

Thank you!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
He is definitely a leatherback. I Can tell from the picture. This is a picture of a normal scaled beardies back (This is Loki). See how you can see more texture on his back and your beardies back looks more smooth? View media item 60629
You seem to have a good feeding schedule for him. All my beardies are around 3 years to 4 (and maybe a half) years old.

What I would recommend for adults (around 2+ years) is: Greens every other day, Insects once a week, Fruit can be mixed in 1-2x a week and Vegetables can be mixed in with the salad every other day.

My Beardies also love Dandelion greens in their salad and it's very healthy for them. If You're looking for good food for beardies this is an Excellent chart: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjL8aD-29jbAhWGrFkKHV2IAwEQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beautifuldragons.com%2FNutrition.html&usg=AOvVaw0LF794UHKCMVeHLpZG2jZ2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom