Which uvb bulb to buy with a T8 light fixture 24"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Im due to buy a new uvb bulb since its been almost 6 months, and right now I have a reptisun 10.0 uvb. Should I keep buying reptisun 10.0? The thing is I cant remember if its a T5 or T8, pretty sure its T8, but its this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-Fluorescent-24-Inch/dp/B0009YHSWK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529004986&sr=8-2&keywords=reptisun+10.0+uvb+bulb

So whats the best uvb bulb I can buy for a 24 inch T8 Desert Light Fixture?

this is my fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CT2OTA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My beardie is still on a 20g, he is about 5 months old

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hello!

I see that your fixture is a hooded fixture - are you using it on top of a screen?
The fixture for Rept-Sun liner UV bulbs that most people use are for T8 ...
Have you ever thought about using a T8 fixture inside the tank? Unless you already are, but just going by what it looks like, I appears to sit atop the screen.

I can show you links to super cheap T8’s that can go inside the tank - and honestly if you get double sided sticky tape it just sticks right on!or sticky Velcro too. And that way, you don’t have to worry about the light being filters out by a screen. Let me know your thoughts! I’d be happy to share!

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
blue11":ygi9urow said:
Hello!

I see that your fixture is a hooded fixture - are you using it on top of a screen?
The fixture for Rept-Sun liner UV bulbs that most people use are for T8 ...
Have you ever thought about using a T8 fixture inside the tank? Unless you already are, but just going by what it looks like, I appears to sit atop the screen.

I can show you links to super cheap T8’s that can go inside the tank - and honestly if you get double sided sticky tape it just sticks right on!or sticky Velcro too. And that way, you don’t have to worry about the light being filters out by a screen. Let me know your thoughts! I’d be happy to share!

Hi!
heres a pic of my setup:
93594-1984523908.jpg

no mesh top screen

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
93594-664853314.jpg

the pic above is a few weeks old, the one below I just took it a few days ago. He likes to climb everything so I added more stuff in it.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Oh that’s great that there’s no mesh there! Kudos to you.
Thanks for sharing!

If you would like - I can show you a photo of my girls set-up .... I haven’t posted a pic in here in years ? - BUT I can figure it out easy, it may not have changed at all.

Have you ever thought about doing an inside mount just for the convience factor alone? And I don’t know if I can tell .... I need to look back at your photos -is there a piece of plastic that goes over the UV B.B., or does it just have the bulb with no plastic pieces over it?

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Also - to answer our original question - yup T8 and I use Repti-Sun 10.0 for my fixture. The come in 18, 24, 36 and I believe 48 ...

Most popular are the 18 - 24 but some peeps do use 36’s as well.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
blue11":3p20pj6d said:
Oh that’s great that there’s no mesh there! Kudos to you.
Thanks for sharing!

If you would like - I can show you a photo of my girls set-up .... I haven’t posted a pic in here in years ? - BUT I can figure it out easy, it may not have changed at all.

Have you ever thought about doing an inside mount just for the convience factor alone? And I don’t know if I can tell .... I need to look back at your photos -is there a piece of plastic that goes over the UV B.B., or does it just have the bulb with no plastic pieces over it?

Thing is I feel like if I mount it inside of the cage it will cover a lot of space, it might be too close? Its a 24' fixture, fairly big hood, on a small 20g. So I was thinking of mounting it when I upgrade his cage to a bigger size.
And there is no plastic covering any of the uvb bulb, I made sure to check .
Thank you for you help :)

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
I understand about size ...

My tank is 4 feet in length and I use only an 18inch that covers, well, 18 inches over her basking area and a tiny bit of her middle section. When she wants away from UV or heat bulb she can chill on the opposite with none of those bothering her.

You could always downside on the bulb - unless you plan on upgrading his home soon?

If you are using a 20 gallon tank, its too small of a tank, and the UV a 24 inch is too big - they need an area to be away from heat and UV .... is your beardie a bay or juvie or adult? Are you upgrading size of the tank soon? There are some really good sites around that make custom cages that may seem a little pricey upfront, but they are big, everything is wired on the inside, you don’t have to use any fixtures, it’s all internal for your dragon. I can give you some nice sites wherr you can get your beardie into a forever home.
-Emily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom