How long should I wait before worrying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Hi sorry I'd just like a little advice. I can't remember how long it's been since my 18 ish month old last had a bowel movement. It feels like it may have been 3 weeks and while she often goes a couple of weeks without this feels longer. I have tried bathing her a couple of times this week but don't want to overdo it as she's not a huge fan of bath time. She's bright alert and still eating either as many wax worms as I'll give her, a few large locusts or 3-4 supers a day and has never been a big eater and still weighs around 380 grams (again she's never been a big girl). She is alert and bright but doesn't seem to want to move a great deal even by normal beardies standards at the moment which is the only other bad sign. Anyway I'm not worrying yet but thought I'd ask how long people would recommend giving it before going to a vet. Last time this happened I booked an appointment and she pooped in the car on the way there!!!

Hi, at 18 months old a bearded dragon shouldn't be eating that many bugs everyday (if that's what you meant). They should be eating 90 percent greens and 10 percent insects around that age. Offer big salads everyday and try to cut down on bugs to only twice a week. This may have something to do with her being backed up, some plant fiber could help. Offer some more baths and if she doesn't poop soon I would personally be worried since most bearded dragons usually poop once a day or so. Just to be safe, could you let us know the temps in her cage and what kind of UV light you have. Lack of activity sounds UV light related. Also, if your temps aren't high enough (98-105) then she would have a harder time digesting her food.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This is the correct diet for an ADULT bearded dragon :
beardie_food_pyramid.png

Longest any of my gang have gone between is 14 days ( a shallow luke warm bath did the trick ).

When you feel the tummy are you feeling any hard masses ? ( bad ).

Is the dragon straining for no result ? ( very bad )

Is the dragon blackbearding or lethargic ?

More information needed.

I'd be cutting back on the solids , only liquid / sloppy / pureed foods until she poos …. more solids will only add to the backed up poos that's rotting in her GIT (can be very bad).
Natural laxatives such as 0.4ml of olive oil by mouth each day or each other day til something comes out … olive oil is nice tasting , all my gang seem to like it.
Baby apple sauce , plum juice (w/out preservatives) , pumpkin puree baby food are often suggested for an impacted dragon.

You could ask a reptile vet to examine her and maybe take xrays (to work out where any blockage is and take it from there)…. just note animas are very risky , and don't let the vet try to use water under pressure to force the blockage to move ( has to be a last resort - I know a lady who took an impacted but otherwise healthy dragon to a vet who claimed to be an expert (had even worked in zoos) who did the water under pressure thing , gave an anima , and sent the dragon home very lethargic with black beard and laboring for breath - it was dead not long afterwards).

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies.
She gets greens everyday and used to love them but seems to have lost interest lately. When she was younger she'd only eat greens which is probably why I overdo the live stuff a little now. She's not straining or black bearding but seems more lethargic than usual. Her temps are good 30 warm end 22 ish cool end and uv was replaced only a month ago so nice and new.
Like I say it's not unusual for her to go 2 weeks without pooping and then go every day for a couple of weeks and then go back to a couple of weeks without. Just seems slightly longer this time
Can't feel any lumps it is just the none pooping and not wanting to explore much that have me slightly concerned.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's pretty common for adult b.d's to go quite a while with no pooing. Give her any of these [ or a combo of ] natural laxatives and it should do the trick. Appleasauce, bay food prunes, sweet potato or squash, canned pumpkin [ no spices ] and a few drops of olive oil or raw honey. These kinds of food really help them to go, so don't worry about a vet. A warmer than usual bath or a little time out in the sun will also help. She should be fine . :)

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1j8jcmry said:
Hi there, it's pretty common for adult b.d's to go quite a while with no pooing. Give her any of these [ or a combo of ] natural laxatives and it should do the trick. Appleasauce, bay food prunes, sweet potato or squash, canned pumpkin [ no spices ] and a few drops of olive oil or raw honey. These kinds of food really help them to go, so don't worry about a vet. A warmer than usual bath or a little time out in the sun will also help. She should be fine . :)

Thanks ahbd you always stop me worrying

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I worry too. Mine won’t poop in his tank. I use some Repashy Grub pie, mix it in the chopper, add some baby food unsweetened applesauce, prunes and I will add a few drops of olive oil. He hates crickets, hardly eats his greens, hates baths. I talk to him & let him know that he’s going to get a Bath if he doesn’t poop. Sure enough he must be smart because he did it right after that. Marked that on the calendar.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Terry15":f5m4t3aq said:
I worry too. Mine won’t poop in his tank. I use some Repashy Grub pie, mix it in the chopper, add some baby food unsweetened applesauce, prunes and I will add a few drops of olive oil. He hates crickets, hardly eats his greens, hates baths. I talk to him & let him know that he’s going to get a Bath if he doesn’t poop. Sure enough he must be smart because he did it right after that. Marked that on the calendar.

I also talk to mine if there's been no poo for longer than 7 days …. ask her very nicely if she'll do a poo tomorrow , and tell if no poo is forthcoming it's olive oil for her and maybe a bath …. she usually gives a nice big stinky present next day …. I'm sure she understands ...

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Believe me I've tried talking from the positive go on have a poop and you can have some lovely wax worms through to poop now you little **** with No response. To be honest though she doesn't even seem to be trying to poop even when in the bath and there's still nothing solid when I rub her tummy so don't think she's in any discomfort. Will get some natural laxatives when I next get to the shop. Also upped her temps by 3 degrees to see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom