Sudden Swollen Neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have some sad news. I lost my little boy some time during the night. It seems he did manage to bring up the kale but I think he's passed away. His eyes are very sunken and he doesn't seem to be breathing.

I'm very very sad. I'm still cuddling him. Not sure what to do next..

Em

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Em,

Oh no, I am so sorry that you lost Rocky, geez how utterly horrible! :cry: I don't know what could
have happened. You are sure he is gone now, no sign of breathing or any movement?
That is a tragic loss I am sorry, I feel terrible. Losing them so suddenly like that. Rocky
had done so well after his ordeal, too.
We are all here for you.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, that's so sad ! I'm sooooo sorry. :( He was doing so well, maybe there was some type of growth starting in his throat that caused this. My heart goes out to you, I know you re devastated. :(

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Kale wouldn't have caused this would it? I rarely give him it. I feel like I am to blame for either causing him to gag or not getting him seen faster. I was going to bring him to the emergency vet the same day but that's the way he was when I put his lights on.

I did call my vet and they said to bring him in and they will look for a heartbeat but they couldn't find one. He had tons of cuddles and kisses the night I put him to bed, I just wish I knew I needed to rush him there, because again he looked fine.

What I had noticed was under his neck swelling, a smaller firmer lump had appeared and he was due to have the swelling checked at the end of the week so I thought it will be discussed then.

I have opted to have him cremated, they said I can go for a post mortem but not sure I want to put him through it. What do you guys think?

Also, any advice on how to deal with the grief? I can't function and I just can't hold it together for more than 10 minutes before I'm blubbering again.

Em

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's the thoughts of not being with him right now, I hate that he's alone.. And the thought of maybe he could have been saved or what if he was alive. He is such a huge part of my life I don't know how to deal with it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Kale definitely would not cause it, only in the most extreme freak accident like a human choking to death on an average food item. It may be just that he has some problem in his throat again now that has caused this. You would never have known, don't blame yourself in any way at all. On the contrary, you were very diligent in getting him to the vet with the first problem and were taking excellent care of him.

Grief is horrible , it can be so intense that you feel like nothing will ever be normal again. I feel for you and I am not minimizing it, but yes it will lessen as time goes on. Many people on this forum have gone through it. Just hang in there , stay close to good friends or family members who care and let the crying happen because it is part of the process. You will get through this.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the kind words.

It's so hard to get on with daily things right now, I miss him so much. My eyes actually look bruised, I've cried so much.
My original thought was that the kale was bad and upset his stomach so gagging so much to bring it up caused the swelling to rupture but the vet said he could still feel a bit of a lump but the larger swelling seemed flattened. His poops have been on the small side too. I just don't know what to think.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The vet called me this evening, he said that Rockys mouth was clear, the aneurysm hadn't burst, he doesn't think there was an infection. He said there's the possibility that another growth or aneurysm could have developed in another part of the body but there is no way of knowing without a post mortem. I have until midday tomorrow to decide.. What do I do for the best??

Em

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If it would make you feel better it would your choice, but it won't bring Rocky back. At least he was relatively good right up to that point. I agree that there was something else developing but whether it would be worth knowing is up to you. It definitely wasn't bad kale, they eat any old piece of fruit/veg. and are always fine.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think the same. It wouldn't change anything. The vet said given the time it happened that there probably wouldn't have been much they could do. I love him and I miss him but I imagine he is elsewhere, running around in a sunny field head bobbing. He'll always be with me. It will take a long time to return to normal.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Now I'm thinking about impaction. His bowel movements have been on the small side and when he would go it took around 3 or 4 tries before it would be expelled. But I had paper towels as a substrate so not sure if this would be possible?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Em,

Over time, it does get a little easier, but, you never forget them either. :cry: Grief is awful
& it seems like it lasts forever, too.
A necropsy might help with answers but that is completely up to you & don't blame you at all if
you don't want to go that route. There definitely could have been something else going on that
you just weren't aware of. They hide illness very well.
Not sure it would be impaction. If he was dehydrated often that can affect their ability to go to
the bathroom as easily also.
My thoughts are with you, I know he was your life & it's hard to know what to do when he is no
longer with you.

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It is very hard, today is day two and I'm still badly distraught, I'm not eating, I can't do anything. I think I just want him to rest now and bring him back home next week. I miss him so much. Finding out what happened isn't going to bring him back and there will never be another like him.

All of your support has been amazing, thank you for everything. ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Em,

I know, your soul is damaged. :cry: I know the feeling too well. When we lost our first one,
years ago which still feels like yesterday, I thought I was going to die. I couldn't function,
either.
Eventually you will be able to deal with it, but, there is no rush or time table on grief. Let
yourself grieve, it's a natural process but definitely not comfortable. I'm sorry you lost him,
his spirit is still with you. You are right, they are unique & irreplaceable.
I'll be thinking about you.

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So so unique, I realise how special they are. I've been thinking if I'll ever get another, I mean, I'd love to adopt a rescue but right now the pain is too much so I will keep Rocky's house in storage for now. I can't face moving it yet.
I still have a cut off part of his blanket that I keep putting back in there because it smells like him, he had a distinctive smell, never bad because him and his home was always clean but that blanket smell goes away fast so I keep putting it back in there.

I have a friend who got a baby beardie at Christmas time and she's been worried that it was losing weight so on Monday I put together a big care package for her filled with good veggies and worms and locusts, vitamins, critical care, reptoboost and bee pollen, everything he needs and I've heard today that he has perked right up and started a shed. That cheered me up a little, I like to pass on my knowledge and help where I can. So, if it's okay with you guys I'd like to stick around here and help others if I can?

I'm feeling a little better, still extremely sad and crying here and there but I feel like I am accepting and understanding that Rocky isn't here now but he is still very much with me, always.

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom