got this melamine enclosre figuring out basking temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Hi i got this melamine enclosure and the 50 watt basking light and tge 65 watt flood light runs to hot in the basking area only bulb that runs good os a 60 watt incandescent but it dont spread the heat well right where the bulb shines its 96 but as you move away from the bulb the temps drop significanty those bulbs not made for basking at all i was thinking on cutting a 4 inch round hole so i can raise the light so the socket be outside instead of inside or cut a square and put a light fixture with a lamp stand like i have on my exo terra 36x18x18 and finally run an incandescent thermostat which i have but i tried to avoid that because right now on my exo terra my basking temps are fine and not running a thermostat any suggestions be apreciated here is a pic of the enclosure im testing out temps are high all the way to the floor so having a platform atc3 or 5 inches it runs even hotter i need to raise the bulb or run a thermostat.[ximg]97755 2712103785[/ximg]ps: i have a ve 200d dimmer for incandescent bulbs which is a good spot to place probe? I dont want to do it in basking area thats where my beardiw likes to go to the bathroom every morning.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would try a PAR38 or BR40 halogen bulb of about the same wattage and see how you get with the temps. Those should provide a nice wide beam large enough for even basking. They should be dimmable as well. The probe should probably be on the basking site if possible. You can clean it with vinegar and sanitize it with steam or F10 disinfectant as needed. It might be good to start a morning routine bringing him out of the tank to an area that is easy to clean and train him to poop there (through routine) to help keep the tank cleaner.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea thanks i was testing a 65 watt flood light with a dimmer and i was getting good temps onlt problem with a 5 inch high basking spot there is not much clearance once the dragon goes under it i jave to make the basking spot 2 inches lower or put the socket outside the enclosure is poorly designed but the enclosure is well assembled i can work with it,

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's not much overhead to work with. I like having the basking lights at least 12'' up to keep them out of reach and so they provide a nice wide beam. You could go with a flat basking site but if you have a climber you may need to let them out to climb around.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I took the enclosure apart tomorrow im going to get some melamine cut to raise this enclosure also im building my own 48x24x24 as well is not that hard

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i just put my beardie in her new enclosure shes checking it out today she woke up kind of sad she seems lot happier now.[ximg]97755 4638005691[/ximg]

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks my dragon is kind of picky up in the log i checked the temps with a probe thermometer it was reading anywhere from 103,100.95 as you move away from the light down in the bottom is also 100 she likes to bask in the bottom now and not getting the benefits from the uvb lol.need to do something

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i'm using a 100 watt zoo med basking bulb i had 2 in the house and i just had to dim it just a little bit i probably shaved 10 watts off now my beardie is BASKING on top hes getting around 90 micro watts of uvb i may lower the t5 fixture a couple inches over the 4th of july week im going to be off.
97755-4703527633.jpg
for some reason my beardie he never likes it too hot he likes it mid 90's sometimes 100-102 but most of the time 94 to 97f i guess depends on the breed plus i'm in a warm climate most of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom