open to suggestions for basking bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
hi guys i just finished this enclosure 48x24x23.5 all is left is put the melamine tape i got a good basking temp with the zoo med 100 watt basking bulb but should i go with the powersun? i got a t5 5.0 and a 10.0 i could just leave the 5.0 in there and wont do any harm as far as the uvb if i go with the MVB im using a powersun 100 watt where my dragon is right now he should be moving in to this enclosure on tuesday, i need to move it to the other room here are some pics.im just testing right now.[ximg]97755 4462494310[/ximg][ximg]97755 6697247396[/ximg][ximg]97755 1135968441[/ximg]

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i just got my answer today guys i got my solar meter 6.2 r and i thought powersun was the bomb boy was i wrong either i got a bulb that was used or the powersun is crap 12 inches from the bulb and i got the screen cut out i was getting 18 micro watts i also have a 24 inch t8 that gives way more uvb at 13 inches gives 40 my dragon is moving into hes new home tomorrow right now i only have a t5 5.0 the 10.0 arrived broken but my local petshop just got some 10.0, the t5 5.0 is similar to the t8 10.0 10 inches from the bulb it gets about 40 so with the 10.0 be lot stronger also all the way to the bottom of the enclosure he should be getting good uvb dont buy powersun guys unless my bulb was used when i bought it 3 months ago.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's quite low for the PowerSun. You should be seeing good UVB levels between about 8-12'' with the 100w version. I'm glad you were able to test it. Ultimately I'd stick with the T5 10.0 so you can use a halogen bulb for basking. Since you have a fixed top you might need to rely on dimming to fine tune output (vs being able to raise/lower the bulb). The T5 5.0 is OK but just needs to be closer as you said and is somewhat comparable to a T8. I wouldn't put the bulbs closer than 6'' but shoot for around 150-200 uW/cm2 over the main basking zone.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
[ximg]97755 4462494310[/ximg][ximg]97755 6697247396[/ximg]i got my basking temps perfect now where the bulb is is exactly 8 inches from the floor i can put anything as long as is 8 inches both of this basking platforms you see are 8 inches from the ground thats how i got the temps i had 2 100 zoo med basking bulbs laying around so im able to use them now from where my dragon is right now hes getting 40 micro but thats only a 5.0 ill buy the 10.0 tomorrow im getting rid of the cat bed with the cat bed that spot is 85 without is 80 good for winter lol.i also drilled 2 more vents on the back so i got 6 now the enclosure is ready.i ordered 100 watt flood lights only place i could find them with fast shipping was amazon there br38 they spread the heat a bit more as with the basking bulbs is a beam on one area.but yea i may of had a defective powersun bulb but good thing i put that t8 there as well so this last 3 months i think my beardie is fine.maybe later ill buy one of those fixture you can move around for basking so i can put the basking area in another place.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds good. The cat bed might be useful in a window sill if you can mount it there. I have a small dog bed in my living room window sill and Darwin loves sitting in it to look outside.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks. That's Dundee. He used to like to climb onto the Atari that sat under a shelf so it was a nice warm cozy place for him to nap.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hello all anyone know where to buy the steerable light fixture??[ximg]97755 2125999839[/ximg]i could ask JOE but im trying to avoid that lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd imagine the lighting dept of most hardware stores would have them. Do be careful not to put the basking light at much angle (if any) though. Their eyelids shade the light from directly overhead but if the light is coming at a large angle then it may irritate them a bit.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i found one at Home depot on the security section they have some with the sensor dusk till dawn and ones without i bought one for 11 dollars is a dual lamp but i can take one out if i like to and i can use them as a 2 prong positive/negative there specifically made to use with flood lights so its made out of metal and it has a porcelain socket quite nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom