Help! Strange behavior in beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJoey

I had gotten my bearded dragon a pet expo recently and they were doing perfectly fine. The temperature is right and they have UV lighting. I feed them live and they usually attack the crickets immediately. I noticed for the past week or two that they have been spending all their time under their heating lamp, and seem uninterested in their food. They have also already shed and they appear to be lethargic as well. Their skin is a bit wrinkly on the sides as well and they have been getting stress marks. I really love my beardie, and would appreciate any help if possible.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post some photos of him and his setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply. If you can provide details about your setup I'll be happy to go through and see if anything stands out as a possible problem. Hopefully it's just a temporary slowdown period which they sometimes go through.

JustJoey

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1g8xkq4x said:
Can you post some photos of him and his setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply. If you can provide details about your setup I'll be happy to go through and see if anything stands out as a possible problem. Hopefully it's just a temporary slowdown period which they sometimes go through.

I've never heard of a "Slowdown period", Could you please explain that?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they just slow their systems down and take a break. This happens in between growth spurts when they are young and seasonally when they are older. They sleep a bit more and don't want as much food as usual. It's not as intense as brumation where they can shut down completely for months at a time but it's just a phase or rest period. I'm not saying that's the case here for sure but it's possible. If you can provide more detail about your setup I'll be glad to review to see if anything might be off which could also cause lethargic behavior.

JustJoey

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1upss4qg said:
Sometimes they just slow their systems down and take a break. This happens in between growth spurts when they are young and seasonally when they are older. They sleep a bit more and don't want as much food as usual. It's not as intense as brumation where they can shut down completely for months at a time but it's just a phase or rest period. I'm not saying that's the case here for sure but it's possible. If you can provide more detail about your setup I'll be glad to review to see if anything might be off which could also cause lethargic behavior.

I'm so sorry for not responding earlier I had much to do and was away. I was actually able to find out what was wrong with him. It turns out he wasn't getting enough calcium. I bought him calcium and after he was being much more alert and began to have more periods when he wasn't stressed and even appeared to show more color! Thank you so much for your help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good to hear. Calcium is important in their diet. Bugs should be dusted with calcium supplement when you offer them and calcium rich greens like collards are a good thing to offer regularly too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom