QUESTION PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
another few more questions please and thank you if not mind :)

1) when give her some crickets, if she don’t eat them all, when should I take out all the old ones?
2) if a cricket sheds it skin in the tank, should I take out all the others and put new lot, before she eats that one or the skin?
3) what age is she okay if I want take her uptown one day?
4) when should I do weight and length measurements?
5) besides the tank set up, am I doing okay so far?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
JIMMIA":d415lsm1 said:
another few more questions please and thank you if not mind :)

1) when give her some crickets, if she don’t eat them all, when should I take out all the old ones? If she doesn't eat all the crix then you should take out all the uneaten ones.

2) if a cricket sheds it skin in the tank, should I take out all the others and put new lot, before she eats that one or the skin? I Don't entirely understand what you mean, But it is fine if a cricket sheds it's skin it's still fine for the beardie to eat it, it won't infect them or the other crickets.

3) what age is she okay if I want take her uptown one day? I'd typically advice against it unless your going to a place that's pet friendly (such as a reptile expo or a pet shop) but once the beardie is around a year or more, and is chill around people then it would be ok.

4) when should I do weight and length measurements? You should probably measure/weigh them once a month. That's what I do.

5) besides the tank set up, am I doing okay so far?It's hard to say, Could you review what you feed her/what you do care wise and stuff like that? I'd say you've kinda been given some wrong advice (pet store right? never listen to them) But at least your trying to give her the right equip and the proper care now. It's Ok because we all make mistakes sometimes (when I started out with my first beardie I fed her freeze dried crickets and mealworms and had her on calci-sand and her basking spot was at 85* But I later found out what I was doing was wrong and fixed my mistakes from being mislead by pet stores and places similar to that). :)

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thank you heaps again HIPPIELIZARDS :)

okay in my first month, I’ve done okay so far I guess, I know my set up might be a little wrong but it’s all learning curves for me as that’s why I’m asking stuff :)

sorry :/

so I have been giving her about 10 crickets in the morning, around 10 for lunch, and about 5 for dinner, I’ve tried her on some kinda worms in saw dust (I think they were called mealworms),

I’ve given her some graded zucchini and carrot,

I’ve changed her water 2 times a day, I’ve seen her eat a cricket, worm and veg (so at least I know she eaten),

I put a sheet over her tank at night to keep outside light away,

I pick her up like every time I am near her, I pat her for at least 5 to 10 minutes (I don’t grab her by tail, I try let her walk onto my hand than say trust whilst put her on my chest and pat her,

When she opens her mouth at me I say no so she potentially won’t bite and won’t pat her until closes mouth so she knows no

I’ve not taken her more than 5 meters away from her tank,

I read her a bedtime story lol,

I have not seen her poop unless crickets been eating it and I check tank everyday every night,

she has grown atleast 2 strips on the tail as far I’ve seen and her 3 coming threw,

she spends a lot of time sleeping when not patting her, she either sleeping under the uvb or behind her favourite rock,

I don’t tap the glass when she asleep,

and I think that’s about it :) :)

sorry again for my 101 questions :(

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Ok, You seem to be doing very well minus the whole setup problem. :) You do seem to be trying very hard and doing good at caring for her (You actually sound a lot like me with my first month of having Cisco :D).

I Did spot a few flaws though.. Never feed beardies mealworms (or at least like once every few months and no more then 4). Since they have a very hard to digest shell made of chitin (like the stuff your fingernails are made of) In relativity it IS edible but not very tasty/good, Like the tails on shrimp (it technically is edible but isn't very yummy to people).

Also beardies typically shouldn't have worms until they're around a year old. :) and It's fine with all the questions (we're all very happy to help). I Was once a newbie too. :)

Do you try to feed her any greens? Like Collard, Mustard, Turnip, Dandelion, or Endive greens? Those are all very good greens for the beardies. and How many hours on/off are her lights/ is it a 12/12 cycle (bad) or a 14/10 hour cycle which is the best light cycle for them.

The amount of bugs I'd say you should maybe up the morning intake of bugs to about 20-25 and the midday feeding around 15-20 and the later day feeding around 10. :)

The sheet over the tank is ok, The water dish is still not very necessary. The No more then 5 meters away from the tank is fine while she's younger (just wait until she's around 6 months to a year and she can go lots of places but you'll still need to keep an eye on her :) ).

I Love that you read her a bedtime story (All my beardies love to sit with me and read a book, or sit on it while I'm attempting to read it) :lol:. and It means a lot of things if the beardie opens it's mouth.

It could mean that it's acting defensive (does she do any beard inflation at you when she opens her mouth?) or they could be thermo-regulating (when they hit a perfect body temp or they get too hot they open their mouth to either cool down or stay at their current temp) Or They could just be happy. My Daisy likes to 'smile' a Lot :) . View media item 60665
That's good that she's growing but a bit concerning that she may not be pooping. :? It's normal for them to sleep a lot sometimes (they can be quite the couch potato sometimes Lol).

So I'd say you're doing very well so far. :) Keep up the good work! :D

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster

with timeframes of lights, I’m not sure, it has varied, but lately I’ve been having the uvb on consistently and turning off the headlight (the red one) around 12-30am in early hours of the morning as that’s what time I usually get home from work at night, so I usually leave them both on at least 18 hours, than turn it back in around 10am in the morning before I go to work!

so what time frames do you say? please :)

red light to and from ?
white light to and from ?

also I’ve noticed she is not eating all her crickets because I can count at least 25 still in her tank, they have been in there for 2 days so far- so should I remove them?

and still no signs of poop, why?

and here she is in natural sunlight if it helps make a little better picture :) sorry :(

and if with her mouth opening, it’s only happened about 3 times, and I think might be a smile as know she got soft spot on her head near her eyes where pat her and she closes her eyes :)

98861-9999063462.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
JIMMIA":2i8gxqp3 said:

with timeframes of lights, I’m not sure, it has varied, but lately I’ve been having the uvb on consistently and turning off the headlight (the red one) around 12-30am in early hours of the morning as that’s what time I usually get home from work at night, so I usually leave them both on at least 18 hours, than turn it back in around 10am in the morning before I go to work! 18 Hours on is way too long. and How many hours do you keep the red/heat bulb on?

so what time frames do you say? please :) I'd say 14 hours on for both lights and 10 hours off for both lights

red light to and from ? I'd still get rid of it. You can just go to walmart and get a regular halogen lamp there and make sure it's not colored.
white light to and from ? I'd also replace that with a Reptisun 10.0 T5HO Tube bulb. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-Fluorescent-24-Inch/dp/B0009YHSWK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528135433&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=reptisun+10.0+uvb+bulb+t5+ho+18+inch

also I’ve noticed she is not eating all her crickets because I can count at least 25 still in her tank, they have been in there for 2 days so far- so should I remove them? Yes.

and still no signs of poop, why? I Don't know. :? If she doesn't seem to poop in the next few days i'd get her checked out by a vet. Here's a list of vets worldwide for herps: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiMk4DJzLrbAhXBulMKHTkFAkwQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.anapsid.org%2Fvets%2F&usg=AOvVaw2pP2IkrYDg_rfAEPCSx1AB

and here she is in natural sunlight if it helps make a little better picture :) sorry :( She's very pretty. :D Are you sure it's a central bearded dragon and not a rankins? It kinda looks like one to me but it could just be an odd colored central bearded dragon. View media item 61065
and if with her mouth opening, it’s only happened about 3 times, and I think might be a smile as know she got soft spot on her head near her eyes where pat her and she closes her eyes :) Yep, She was probably smiling. If you pet some spots on their body that they like to be pet on then they will sometimes close their eyes and fall asleep. Which normally is a signal of trust. :)

98861-9999063462.jpg

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
she pooped, it looked like one of them pellets that give your chickens or guniea pigs :)

another question please,

I know got to make them feel at home but can change the backdrop every now and than? or leave it as same thing? :)

and time frames, I am trying what you say,

I going have them on from 8 in morning, turn it off at 00-30am :)

98861-7300328342.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The backdrop is in large part to appeal to us. I don't think changing it occasionally will cause any issues is that's what you'd like to do.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
sorry for the gross picture, but this is her poop, is it right colour? I know with us human, we got look out for traces of blood and if it black means not enough water!

so do the same rules apply with them?

98861-6679372117.jpg

98861-7538923858.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
That poop looks good and healthy to me. :) But the urate looks weird.. :? Is it soft or hard?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks OK to me too. Maybe just a bit dry (has it been sitting there a while?). The second one looks fine though.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
HippieLizards":1a9qyxlf said:
That poop looks good and healthy to me. :) But the urate looks weird.. :? Is it soft or hard?

what is urate? please :) and her poop was hard in first picture, and in the second picture her poop was soft :)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
The urate is the white part of the feces. It's a bearded dragons version of pee.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thank you :)

@ HIPPIELIZARDS,

I had to take my adopted nephew and niece to the zoo today, I showed them a photo of JIMMIA, and asked out of curiosity-what type of bearded dragon they think she is, and they had told me she look more like a ”Pogona Barbata”

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
It Could be a Pogona Barbata (Coastal/Eastern beardie). :? Or a Pogona Henrylawsoni (Lawsons/Rankins dragon).

Or It could just be a weird colored/shaped Pogona Vitticeps (Central bearded dragon, The most commonly sold and most popular beardie in the pet trade).

This is a article on types of beardies(Look at the bottom of the article to see the different species of beardies). http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/types-of-bearded-dragons.php#species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom