White worms in cricket container?? Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra213

Ok so I just bought crickets a days ago and a heat wave it yesterday. Today when I went to feed I noticed only one cricket came out. I opened the lid and there were all these little white worms everywhere! I tried to snag the cricket but he had it eaten in no time and now I'm really worried. Is he going to be ok? Could that cricket have been carrying something?
My crickets were all dead but I'm guessing that's more from the heat exposure, it was well over 90 in my apartment yesterday. But are they maggots? I'd attach a pic but the instant I saw that I chucked the bucket in the dumpster. Could it be fruit flies? Unfortunately the apartment has a bit of an issue with fruit flies, something else the landlord never bothered to mention. I've had other reptiles who ate crickets and never once have I seen this happen before. Please help

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It probably wasn't harmful. Some form of larva/maggot most likely but I'm not sure what it would have been. It could have been from flies that got in with the crickets or it could have come from cleaner crew that was with them at some point or maybe came in with their chow.

cjack99

Probably fruit fly larva. Icky things. The warmth and moisture bring them out and they will spawn in a heartbeat. I have a Dubia colony, and just yesterday spent 2 hours transferring the Dubias to another enclosure because suddenly the active enclosure had a crop of tiny little fruit flys, seems like over night. Only thing you can do is move all the good feeders over to a dry enclosure and then wash out the old one.

We now have a system that works for us. A large Walmart plastic container, with screened cut outs to provide good airflow on all 4 sides. Inside, dry bottom, Dubias go on 2, 3 tiered secretary in baskets, which you can get from Amazon for about $20 each, exactly the same as you would see in an office. (went through the egg carton mess for almost a year and discovered egg cartons just don't work, bugs eat them, they crumble and get soggy, and become a fly hatchery) For nourishment our Dubias get shredded carrots, only as much as they will eat in a day, with some times some peas, and even banana bits. But nothing on the floor. For water, they have access to 3 or 4 small containers (cut from empty "Cafe Francais" containers) and filled with water crystals so they don't drown. We have 3 of the big containers so there is always one ready for a swap out. By keeping the bottom dry, and using the trays for the Dubias and food / water, we can rapidly swap out the colony from one to the other, then get the ones that are left on the bottom, leaving the fly larvae behind. During winter we can get an easy 6 months before we need to clean the enclosure. Summer time, sometimes it can be as short as 6 weeks. The flies will eventually move in, it just depends on how clean you can keep your colony. Mine is 4 years old now, I've got probably 3 or 4 hundred Dubias, time to give some away in fact. Been through 3 variations of enclosure and what we have now is so far the best yet.

cheers
cjack

chifeo

cjack99":1qg81u3o said:
Probably fruit fly larva. Icky things. The warmth and moisture bring them out and they will spawn in a heartbeat. I have a Dubia colony, and just yesterday spent 2 hours transferring the Dubias to another enclosure because suddenly the active enclosure had a crop of tiny little fruit flys, seems like over night. Only thing you can do is move all the good feeders over to a dry enclosure and then wash out the old one.

We now have a system that works for us. A large Walmart plastic container, with screened cut outs to provide good airflow on all 4 sides. Inside, dry bottom, Dubias go on 2, 3 tiered secretary in baskets, which you can get from Amazon for about $20 each, exactly the same as you would see in an office. (went through the egg carton mess for almost a year and discovered egg cartons just don't work, bugs eat them, they crumble and get soggy, and become a fly hatchery) For nourishment our Dubias get shredded carrots, only as much as they will eat in a day, with some times some peas, and even banana bits. But nothing on the floor. For water, they have access to 3 or 4 small containers (cut from empty "Cafe Francais" containers) and filled with water crystals so they don't drown. We have 3 of the big containers so there is always one ready for a swap out. By keeping the bottom dry, and using the trays for the Dubias and food / water, we can rapidly swap out the colony from one to the other, then get the ones that are left on the bottom, leaving the fly larvae behind. During winter we can get an easy 6 months before we need to clean the enclosure. Summer time, sometimes it can be as short as 6 weeks. The flies will eventually move in, it just depends on how clean you can keep your colony. Mine is 4 years old now, I've got probably 3 or 4 hundred Dubias, time to give some away in fact. Been through 3 variations of enclosure and what we have now is so far the best yet.

cheers
cjack

Can you share some pictures of your dubia colony enclosure? I am new to the hobby and have been watching tons of videos and reading upon the subject. Would like to see what you're doing and adopt some of the same settings. THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom