2 Beardies together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxBadWolf

I was wondering if it's okay that two bearded dragons be alowed in the same room togther when out of their tanks?
I'm getting a baby today and I have a super small 6 month old female. I plan on getting another female if possible and I do NOT PLAN ON KEEPING THEM IN THE SAME CAGE.

I just want to know if they can get along if I'm holding both at the same time or have them both outside etc.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Chances are if you have them out together the smaller one will become a meal. That or both will be extremely stressed out from seeing each other.

I'd avoid letting them see each other as it just causes unwanted stress.

dezismom

Juvie Member
There are several owners of multiple beardies on this site who do let their beardies have some out of the cage time in the same room, and do just fine. Usually it is two females of same size and have been raised with some contact outside of their vivs. Of course, each beardie has his own temperment, and large males should not be allowed any time together due to serious territorial fighting. Also, a large dragon will eat a smaller one. But two similar size females, especially youngsters, should be okay, with constant supervision, obviously. You mentioned that they will have separate housing, so you sound like a caring and sensible owner who will take any precautions needed. Just let them be in the same room, once the new one is adjusted to her new environment, and if both are big enough to free roam. Take it slow, do not place them face to face or force them to meet, so they can eye each other from a distance and decide for themselves when and how close they want to be. In time, two females can become socially adjusted, but will always need direct supervision since things could go bad quickly.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
years ago i had two beardies together, to me it is totally dependent on personality... we had one 2 year old male and a year old female, the male was very lazy and meh type of personality where as the female was aggressive and energetic, they would get into small scuffles every few months but most of the time they got along great. they ate together, slept next to each other, we took them on outings together; having one assertive and the other laid back worked out.

end of hte day you just need to try and see how it goes, it helps if they can grow up together as mine did

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The larger one will stress the new baby .

If there is a big size difference it's a bad idea to allow them to be together (even in the same room outside their tanks), the bigger one will not take kindly to the newcomer and will very likely bash it up (even kill it).
If they both boys - IT WILL BE DESASTEROUS to let them be out together.

nicoonic123

i have 2 baby bearded dragon 6 weeks old and 4 weeks old both female. i put them on the same tank they get along just fine no sign of stress they lick ea other and bask together. theyre together for a month now. my 4 weeks old beardie likes to copy the old one like she doesnt eat veggies and doesnt drink water but when she saw that my older beardie eats veggies and drinks water she also eats and drinks now.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
once they enter puberty things will change. as they get older is when stresses can come out. growing up together can absolutely help and mitigate the risk but by and large you can have dozens of little ones together

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
nicoonic123":216hey57 said:
i have 2 baby bearded dragon 6 weeks old and 4 weeks old both female. i put them on the same tank they get along just fine no sign of stress they lick ea other and bask together. theyre together for a month now. my 4 weeks old beardie likes to copy the old one like she doesnt eat veggies and doesnt drink water but when she saw that my older beardie eats veggies and drinks water she also eats and drinks now.

wont last long ... one will be the dominant and will thrive, the other will fail to grow .... eventually it will become bloody.

you will have heathier and happier hatchlings if they are housed separately in their own personal tanks and can't see each other all day every day....

nick9100

Could use some advice too

At the pet store I was toled that a female and a male could live together, if the cage was big enough.
So i builded a 200cm x 60cm x 80cm cage and then bought a male and a female around 1 year old.
They both eat and poop fine.
But the problem is that the male is constantly bobbing his head at her, and tries to mate. But she’s trying to run away (some times he gets her) and she glass surfes (tries to get out of the cage) all the time.
I read that if I get another female, it could help, because then they can share the male. And the individual female has more peace.

If this isn’t true.. can I put a wall in the middle of the cage to prevent stress/injuries? (There is a uva/uvb lamp in both ends of the cage)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
nick9100":2kqc5618 said:
Could use some advice too

At the pet store I was toled that a female and a male could live together, if the cage was big enough. <<<< VERY BAD ADVISE.
Only a matter of time before thing go bad.

So i builded a 200cm x 60cm x 80cm cage and then bought a male and a female around 1 year old.
They both eat and poop fine.
But the problem is that the male is constantly bobbing his head at her, and tries to mate. But she’s trying to run away (some times he gets her) and she glass surfes (tries to get out of the cage) all the time.
I read that if I get another female, it could help, because then they can share the male. And the individual female has more peace.

If this isn’t true.. can I put a wall in the middle of the cage to prevent stress/injuries? (There is a uva/uvb lamp in both ends of the cage)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You could put in a divider [ not see through ! ] but then the area for each dragon would be rather small. But that would def. be better than this situation. If you can get the largest plastic tote at Walmart it can work as a temp. tank until you can build the wall . You'll need heat + uvb on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom