Dubias near Scottsdale, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure anyone uses or checks this part of the forum, but I’ve been having to drive to Mesa to my favorite reptile store, Predators Reptile for dubias and I was wondering if anyone on this board had any recommendations for a place more north (I’m in North Scottsdale) for dubias as i won’t be making it out to Mesa as much now that my son is out of school for the summer and 30 min is a long drive!

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure about them locally but you can order them online pretty easily. I ordered some roaches to start my colony from ABDragons and it worked out really well. Sometimes Craigslist is a good resource for local items if you can't order online though. Someone nearby might have a colony and are trying to give away or sell off extras.

twocatsandadog

Original Poster
Thanks, CooperDragon. I have seriously considered this, but am a little bit apprehensive at least for the time being as it is already 100-105 degrees here in Phoenix and is only going to get hotter (it will get up to 120+ in the summer). I know I have read to have them hold it at the P.O. so it doesn't sit at the mailbox (duh?!), but I don't even trust the heat in any capacity here even while traveling!

I am currently trying to talk my husband into starting our own small breeder colony for Lizzy but he doesn't think he can commit any extra time as he is a pharm/med student and it's hard enough for me to get him to find 15 minutes to feed her every other day. I know that sounds crazy, but his time is really, really planned to the minute. Lizzy is the perfect pet as she sits on his shoulder or desk while he studies and keeps him company. She's been great for our whole family!

I'm just hoping as now that he is a 3rd year, his schedule might lessen and he could at least consider getting a colony started and all he will have to do is go out and grab them for feeding and the only thing I will need to do is check on them and feed/water them since I will NOT touch them. :oops:

twocatsandadog

Original Poster
Oh! I missed the part about people selling off extras on Craigslist locally. Totally good idea. Thanks! I'll check there.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's reasonable. Yeah med school is pretty nuts for sure. If you do decide to start a colony I would encourage it. They are quite easy to take care of and pretty much just do their thing. They are great at composting kitchen scraps which is part of why I keep my colony so large even though I'm just feeding one adult dragon. They thrive with minimal effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom