MegaRay Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
I just ordered a MegaRay off amazon and I noticed some hard brown material around the vent of the bulb and I'm not sure if this is normal as I've never seen it on any other MVB I've used and I didn't notice it on any other MegaRays I could find online. I emailed the manufacturer but I don't think he understood the issue so I sent him a picture and I'm waiting for a response. So while I wait, I'd like to know what you guys think! Does this look right? Or am I looking at a fire hazard?? Does anyone recognize what this is?

UvVow1W.jpg

For a closer look click the link.. https://i.imgur.com/UvVow1W.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I'm pretty sure I have the same thing on the megaray bulb I'm using for my tegu. I'll have to check in a bit though, the bulb is currently on and I rather not burn my fingers off trying to look at it.

Also, do make sure that your only using this as a secondary UVB source or a portable basking spot. They don't really work well for the main UVB source as they have too much of a narrow beam of UVB and only cover a small area while the tube can go over most if not the entire enclosure and spreads UVB out more evenly. Oh and the MVB's produce really weird colors sometimes depending on brand...also suck at heating.

Overall a tube light would be a more natural way of providing UVB as in the wild UVB isn't just in a single spot. Your beardie would also have to bask 24/7 to get UVB while with a tube light it can cool off and get UVB as it won't be in a single spot.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have two 100w and they look different. One has a solder there and the other just has a vent hole that is lower near the base of the bulb. This is the older one (about 2 yrs):
76248-4204881983.jpg

This is the newer one (about 4 mo):
76248-2809613333.jpg

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":zmmsb6e8 said:
I'm pretty sure I have the same thing on the megaray bulb I'm using for my tegu. I'll have to check in a bit though, the bulb is currently on and I rather not burn my fingers off trying to look at it.

Also, do make sure that your only using this as a secondary UVB source or a portable basking spot. They don't really work well for the main UVB source as they have too much of a narrow beam of UVB and only cover a small area while the tube can go over most if not the entire enclosure and spreads UVB out more evenly. Oh and the MVB's produce really weird colors sometimes depending on brand...also suck at heating. Thank you for suggesting this, that was my plan in purchasing this bulb. I'm currently using an Arcadia 14% T5 fluorescent bulb for my dragons UV needs and a very old Powersun MVB that provides adequate heat for my dragons setup. I got this bulb because I buy a bulb every 6 months even knowing my current is expected to last a 1+yrs and I like the idea of having more options and utility. I also wanted to go ahead and replace the old Powersun MVB with another effective MVB. :)

Overall a tube light would be a more natural way of providing UVB as in the wild UVB isn't just in a single spot. Your beardie would also have to bask 24/7 to get UVB while with a tube light it can cool off and get UVB as it won't be in a single spot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CooperDragon":zmmsb6e8 said:
I have two 100w and they look different. One has a solder there and the other just has a vent hole that is lower near the base of the bulb. This is the older one (about 2 yrs): Thank you Cooper for the photos of your two bulbs! The soldering seems to be a common occurrence and I did notice people on amazon reviews saying that they are still good and safe, that the soldering is normal. I'm concerned with the brown bit that is inside the vent hole that you'll see on the photo I uploaded of the bulb? Will that cause it to overheat or potentially spark a fire? I've never seen it on a bulb before so I don't know what that is or if it's safe to ignore. I'm still anticipating a second response from the manufacturer regarding this.
76248-4204881983.jpg

This is the newer one (about 4 mo):
76248-2809613333.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure what the brown buildup is. I don't see it on either of my bulbs. It may be harmless but it's a good idea to check with Bob at ReptileUV and see what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom