Mufasa and Norberta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already introduced me and Fasa, but I thought you all might like to see his cuteness, lol. I also have a question for you professionals: do you have any idea what morph he is?
82607-7214899291.jpg
82607-6370805064.jpg
Here he is sleeping in his new tree, slept in it all of last night.
Mufasa will just sit on my chest and nap or watch whats going on. ;)
One last question: Half the time he doesn't eat his crickets, is there anything I can do to help him eat?
Well, I think that's all for now! :) :)
Makayla.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
No, they have no way to get a fecal unless you bring one in, unfortunately. Try your best, but if you don't and when they poop it doesn't stink, then they probably don't have parasites. Have you tried giving them pumpkin or apple sauce without sugar added? Canned pumpkin without spices is what I've always used on Cierra, as she's the reluctant pooper. I've been keeping track of their poops later, she and Castiel are like your girls.

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Darn, I'll try my best.
I haven't tried that in a while I might give Mufasa some tomorrow just to see if it can help at all. The appointment is Monday at 5pm, I'll update you guys afterwards!

Cute pics of the girls trying their new carriers I bought for the vet, they each have their own.
82607-6749388543.jpg
82607-3969482798.jpg

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We're back from the vet!
They were very nice, he seemed to know pretty much what he was doing so that was nice.
I got fecals on both of them and Mufasa has in his words, "a moderate amount of coccidia". He didn't find any in Norberta's, but he's gonna go ahead and medicate them both just because he was a little uneasy about Norbertas.
He didn't have the med so he ordered some and I'll have to pick it up. I didn't get to have bloodwork done on Norberta either because they were too close to closing so I'm going to see if he can do it when I pick up the med.
I really don't know anything about coccidia, I'm reading the article on here about it but if you can fill me in about it more/let me know what else I should be doing that would be great.
Both the girls did a good job on the 40 min ride and at the vet, Mufasa was chill but Norberta was glass surfing on the carrier front the whole ride. Both of them snuggled down in the corner's after their exams pouting at me, funniest thing ever :lol: Poor girls.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Probably Ponazuril for Coccidia treatment. Hopefully that will be effective quickly. It's important to keep everything well cleaned and sanitized to prevent re-infection or spreading. Best bet for sanitizing against Coccidia is using an ammonia/water mix or steam (or both).

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
How often would you say to disinfect everything? I've got ammonia/water mix so I'll use that and take any fabrics/ extra stuff out of her tank till she's clear.
How should I keep from spreading it to Norberta? They never are out together/near each other but I handle them and their stuff both during the day and use hand sanitizer in between each.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would sanitize after every poop since that is the transmission vector. Just be sure anything that comes in contact with poop is sanitized. Wash your hands well between handling each of them or their tanks and that should help prevent cross contamination.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
What I do for poop samples is when I know we've got a vet appointment coming, I start saving our beardie's poops and put them in a little plastic ziploc bag labeled with the date, then put the bag in a plastic cup with a lid, and put it in the fridge (two layers of plastic to keep it from stinking up the fridge :wink: ). Then I take the most recent one to the vet when the time comes -- the fresher, the better.

We were lucky this last time -- no parasites in the poop. With all the other stuff that's been going on with the weight loss and anemia, that was the last thing we needed. :roll:

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys, I've been washing really good between touching Mufasa and her stuff.
The meds came in and I picked them up Sat, its called Ponazuril. I gave one syringe Sat, one tomorrow and then do another two in a week. Should I give them anything else while giving this? He gave me meds for both girls even though he didn't see anything on Norberta.
Neither girl liked it lol, Norberta was a flat out brat and wouldn't eat it until I snuck it in between her allopurinol and serrepaptase :roll: Mufasa just let me dribble it in the corner of her mouth and swallowed it then but wouldn't lick it off her nose.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ponazuril should be pretty effective and is relatively easy on their systems. Offer plenty of water if they want it but you shouldn't need to do much else during treatment aside from keeping everything as clean as possible. Hopefully it will do the trick quickly.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
And if you have a probiotic, you can give that to them opposite time of day to the meds, helps their gut stay healthy.

Sorry I haven't been off, my dad had a fall on May 22, caused 2 strokes and he passed this past Friday, June 15. It's been hard to do anything because I was at the hospital, then hospice for the last 12 days. It was much better for Dad and Mom.

I hope Mufasa is done her meds soon. Yes, keeping the tank sanitized is very important. I had a friend that used newspaper as the substrate, easier to get poop out of the tank, then cleaned it thoroughly before bedtime every day. She had 2 clean basking platforms, resin, that she used & interchanged every night. Her dragon never had to have another treatment.

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Been a while since I updated here, sorry!
Both girls are doing great!
Norberta is doing good with her gout and has shed a couple times, still likes running around the room till she passes out under something.
Mufasa has shed as well and is as calm as ever, I think she's trying to brumate again but I'm not sure, she sits in her corner a lot and doesn't move much until I move her. She also doesn't eat a whole lot and has her weird poop schedule of every like two weeks.
Norberta does the same thing almost where she runs around, eats, then crashes under her hammock for a bit then usually comes back out and does it a couple times a day. Both go to bed pretty early too lol.
They also are both 3 years old now! Can't believe it's been that long.
I'll post pics here in a bit. :D Hope you all and your dragons are doing well!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Welcome back, Makayla, so good to hear from you and your girls. I'm so glad Norberta is doing so well with the gout medication, here's to a long and happy life one day to be gout free, hopefully.

And Mufasa is doing her normal, shall I brumate or not? period before she crashes.

Castiel went down mid May!!! Have you ever heard about one so early in the summer? Nathaniel went down mid July as usual and Cierra crashed in August, as usual. So she'll wake up in Feb, if she does the same thing she's done 4x now. Castiel is now 4 and his birthday is in Sept, too Cierra and Nathaniel will be 5 in Dec, already, time goes so fast. Freya is older than she appears, according to my vet, so she's at least a year old, but stil not sure. She's become a robust beauty, she loves to be outside, jump down, get back into the living room and sit on the ramp until I find her, or if she gets past the ramp, she'll settle somewhere under her tank. She is a real housebody. She moves her furniture, too...

Gabriel has been the concern, he had 2 months of RI meds and still was getting worse. So back to the vet for xray because this time she couldn't hear his heart. So she found fluid around it, so he was on a diuretic for 14 days and it worked. So now he's on his 3rd RI med round, a shot every alt arm, every 3 days for a month. The medication had to be frozen in the syringes, so that's all done and he'll be getting his 4th shot in a couple of days. So I'm really hoping this works and he's back to being my Gabriel, still my miracle baby.

And here are my busy grandkids on a visit to my place:
11887-50487523.jpg
11887-754349349.jpg

Leo starts kindergarten on Tuesday, he was 5 Aug 2. Safara will be 4 on Oct 10, so she goes to school next Sept. The following year, when they're in Gr 2 and Gr 1, I'll be retiring, so I've offered after school care. We'll see how that goes. So those are the latest pics.

I have to put pics up on my thread but haven't had a chance yet, so will get to that. Looking forward to seeing pictures :D

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I will be good about posting one day!
School and work have kept me super busy, so sorry guys!
Deb I hope Gabriel is doing better now and the rest of the crew are well, your grandkids look so cute!

Both Mufasa and Norberta are officially brumating. :cry: Mufasa just lays in the corner under her log and has her eyes open most of the time but doesn't look very awake and doesn't come out almost at all, she did walk around her tank this morning but tucked herself right back in. Norberta is up and down every couple of days but mostly sleeping under her hammock for a couple days before getting up for half a day to poop, eat, and go back to sleep. I miss them already, goodness.
Here are some pics finally!
82607-8238299079.jpg
82607-917177322.jpg
82607-2190516088.jpg
82607-1976717064.jpg
82607-5225478890.jpg
82607-6178702586.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Awww, what great pictures of your girls. Yes, it's the brumation season, well at your place, but here Castiel has been down since mid-May, Cierra since August (her usual 6 mo to Feb, this is her 4th year doing this). Nathaniel went down mid-July but woke up about a month ago and now doesn't know if he wants to brumate or he wants to stay up LOL. Freya brumated for 3 weeks, but woke up when I gave her a bath. So she's up for the morning, running around, pooping, eating, but flakes out about 2p.

Gabriel got through the 3rd mo of med, after the diuretic worked to get rid of the fluid around his heart. He's still not well, I think the aneurysm is back, I could feel a lump about 2" in diameter growing just under his rigs where they meed, under the heart, I think. So he's going to the vet on Oct 25 to be checked out again. I'll have to take him back 2 weeks later for whatever tests I can't afford...but $ will be better soon. I've been off work for 6 mo, back next Monday full time, so Nov will get full time pay again. I'm not sure if Gabriel will make it through this aneurysm, but he can live as long as he can. He can live with one for years...he is 8, though, we'll see. I'll let you know.

I figured you'd been busy with school/work. It takes up so much time. Having to go back to work means my crew are in their tanks by 10:30 as leave for work then. Don't get home until 9p, at least it's only 4 days a week, so 3 days I'm home in the am.

So I have to go to walk Bella, but I do have some pics to post, so will try to get to that on We. When I get home from work, I am exhausted. Last night I fell asleep without eating supper...hopefully I won't be as tired tonight. And I have my day off tomorrow and my cleaner is coming in. I have a new one who works alot in my area, so I was so glad to hire her. $25/hr, probably 2 hrs once monthly, works for me. I'll be posting on my thread, I'll let you know, as there will be lots of pictures. You'd be amazed at how Freya has grown, she's 17" long now, but I don't know her weight, my scale is broken, so will have to get that fixed asap.

Have a good week and talk to you soon. Your girls are looking beautiful as always :D

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry I've been so bad about updating here! I've been insanely busy, its felt like I haven't had a moment to sit down and write on here. Things should finally be settling down a little.
Deb I was so sad to hear about Gabriel's passing, I know how much you loved him. I'm glad he's no longer in pain and that you were able to give Grrr a home. <3

Mufasa is up from brumating and has been up since the beginning of November I want to say. She's been super active and keeping me on my toes with her wants lol. It's been nice though, I missed her while she was sleeping.
Norberta is still brumating but doing an awkward sort of popcorn brumating. Down for a week or two, up for a day or so, down again. She got up yesterday and is just chilling where she passed out yesterday lol.

82607-7079772805.jpg
82607-3535295441.jpg
82607-2313620961.jpg
82607-2222690159.jpg

Hope you all are doing well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom