Can you use QUATS (benzalkonium chloride) topically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliffsMom

Hi all,
I thought I had seen somewhere that QUATS (benzalkonium chloride) could be used to disinfect a superficial cut, but now I can't find it so I'm just going to ask:
-Can I use it on a little cut?

-Can I use a benzalkonium chloride wet wipe to wipe inside his plastic carrier (ie, an accident while travelling)? Or if a seagull pooped directly into it from the sky... This actually happened yesterday. Luckily Clifford was sitting in my lap at the time. I was afraid to put him back in even after I cleaned it in a store bathroom, so he napped in my purse. **This would be an occasional and temporary measure.

-If I do use the benzalkonium chloride wipe, how thoroughly do I need to rinse the carrier with water? I've read that it's pretty safe once dry, especially at the concentrations on a sanitary wipe...

Thank you so much! Now that I have two beardies, sanitizing everything is so, SO important!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's probably OK but would depend on the concentration I think. It can be pretty nasty until it's diluted to safe levels. Benzalkonium chloride is a main ingredient in F10 disinfectant which I use regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom