Post illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKACZMAR

We've had Fred for 2 months and he's about 4 months old. Prior to him becoming sick he was really timid. He'd never run from us and would let us pet him and pick him up without hesitation but was still very much nervous. I could easily hand feed him and bathe him without any issues but again still adjusting to me. Well he got really sick 2 weeks ago and we took him to the vet and found out he had pinworms. Helping him get better involved force feeding a special diet as well as giving him medication for 5 days. Well now I'm the scary lady that makes him open his mouth and shove things inside it because anytime he sees me approach his cage he starts to get nervous. It's been a week since I've had to give him any medication and I'm still able to hand feed him but anytime I get remotely near him and try to pet him he opens his mouth and flares at me. He's not tried to bite or anything but obviously makes me a tad nervous he might. I'm not sure what approach I take because I don't want to stress him out and just never trust me but I also don't want to encourage the behavior either. I've been hand feeding him his fave which are silk worms and he takes them no problem but again doesn't want my hands on him. Thoughts? suggestions on what I need to be doing going forward so he forgives me and learns to trust me again.

JKACZMAR

Original Poster
I should have noted that he's eating great, no changes to VIV, and pooing normal and not shedding currently. He had never flared before until I took him to the vet and he was upset with her. But then when I held him I was able to calm him just by talking to him. So bummed that we've lost that connection.

JKACZMAR

Original Poster
I’ve been doing some reading on this site and am going to put my T-shirt on his basking spot today. Should I try that for a few days before I try to pet him? I’ve also read that some people pick them up when they first wake or are close to bedtime even with them showing signs of aggression. I guess I’m just not sure if I force him to get adjusted or patiently wait for him to decide he’s ok with me?

The T-shirt thing is a good trick as it gets them used to your smell on their own terms. I would start with hand feeding in his viv. He's probably just had a bit of a shock going to the vets and will take a little while to be back to normal. Just keep persevering slowly and steadily showing him that your hand is a positive thing by rewarding him with things like food.

Also if he's been unwell he might be a bit more defensive if he's feeling a bit poorly still. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

JKACZMAR

Original Poster
So I did the shirt trick and left it in on Fred's basking spot all of yesterday. My 12 year son was able to handle him yesterday afternoon with no issues at all as Fred has only shown any sign of aggression towards me (the meanie who keeps shoving icky things into my mouth). Well this morning I approached him calmly and slowly about 20 mins after he woke up and he definitely had enough energy to flare at me and stick his mouth open but I gently scooped him into my hand regardless to show I'm not afraid of him. He was cold so I put him on my chest and covered him up with the shirt I was wearing so he could warm up. Oddly enough he immediately calmed down and snuggled with me for about 5 mins....no heaving breathing just kept looking up at me so I just talked him in a low voice reassuring him. I put him back on his basking spot to warm up for a few. Half hour later went back in there and decided to take it a step further and put my hand under him with treats in my hand and he would lean and only put one of his feet on me but hey I'll take it. No flaring yeah! He ate from my hand probably 10x and was looking for more...had phoenix worms and several portions of mustard greens then I fed him a few crickets with my fingers...ate everything without hesitation. Gave me some hope that he might come around quicker than I was thinking. I'm not going to press my luck and go slow with him but approaching him in the morning definitely helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom