Bearded dragon beard turned grey on the side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow13

Hello, my name is Elisa. I have a 2yr old beardie who I rescued a year ago. I won’t get into to all the details of his background but she smoked very heavy in her house all the stuff I was given from her reeked of smoke. She also only feed him once a week, by throwing 1/2 a dozen crickets in and lettuce. I have worked extremely hard to get him to where he is now. I have noticed his beard is getting grey on the side and I’m not sure what to do. Is it normal? Do I need to take him to the vet? Any advice/ wisdom you all have would be greatly appreciated.( he has a 55gal tank 80F on cool side 95-100F on basking side he has 2reptile hammocks and a ladder, 4 vines they are strung across his tank, and a rock he also has a 75wtt heat lamp and an 18” UVB lamp tropical sun I believe is the name? I have him out 1-2 hours he eats butternut/collards as a staple veggie and soldier fly larvae/ Phoenix worms as a staple protein he also gets hornworms Or butter worms as a treat when I have them)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post a photo of him? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply. It's possibly just a patch that's getting ready to shed.

If you are using a tropical T8 UVB light in a 55g tank it might not be strong enough for him. I would consider replacing it with a T5 if possible.

Shadow13

Original Poster
Thank you i noticed After I came back from a trip it wasn’t there before that’s my only concern thank again

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Could that be an upcoming shed area perhaps? It doesn't appear to be any type of fungal
issue though. How long has it been there on him?

Tracie

Shadow13

Original Poster
Thank you i noticed After I came back from a trip it wasn’t there before that’s my only concern thank again around 4 weeks I’m positive it’s not a shed

Shadow13

Original Poster
Thank you everyone who helped the update is I talked with a women who owned a reptile shop and she beloved it was mites I have been giving Betadine baths and a few other things to help and it seems to be working well thank you again

~Elisa

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Elisa, I don't see any sign of mites there, beardie spikes often become discolored and/or have a bit of shed hanging on. Mites cluster around the eyes + nose for moisture and look like little round specks. The baths may just taking the excess shed off the beard .

Shadow13

Original Poster
Interesting, I don’t know a lot about mites. It could be that the picture is not showing very well. But in his bath he has had a lot of little specks a little bigger then black pepper. Could that be something else? I give him regular baths. I can try and post an other pic. When I give him baths in Betadine some of them go away. If you want a pic let me know. I’m just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Shadow13

Original Poster
Oh one other thing I do believe the white/ grey color is just a change or shed what is concerning is the black specks the weren’t as bad before

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's possible that the specks are just specks of dirt but I wouldn't totally rule out mites. Do you see them crawling anywhere on him at all ? And next time you see the specks in the water, get a paper towel to dab them up + have a close look.

Whatever it is I don't think it will be serious. You can post more pics as you see any change though or just to show off your handsome boy. :)

Shadow13

Original Poster
I do want to thank you for your help. I have some mites spray coming in 2-3 days. I have him in a travel tank for now, I put him in there today with paper towel as bedding. I waited 2yrs to get my dragon so I could do research, and make sure I could properly take care of him. I'm a little annoyed that I didn't come across anything about mites, so even if it isn't I will spray the mite prevent in his tank every once in awhile. I'm sad to say I would not be surprised if it was mites. I volunteer at a shelter where we do often get dogs with mange. I also take my beardie to I show I have a table at and everyone LOVES him so they could have carried it to him. I also have injured my ankle getting bucked off a horse so my general cleaning was pushed back ( it's just a general clean there was no poop just left in his tank). I will see if I can get some close up pictures tomorrow and look at the paper towels. Thx again

~
Elisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom