beardie won't eat, drink or move

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindseyy

I've had my beardie for almost 2 years. I think its safe to say he's about 2 as he was only a few weeks old when i got him. About 2 weeks ago his fluorescent uv bulb burnt out and I had to wait until payday to grt him a new one. all i had for his during this time was his basking light. I still fed him as I usually do, he'll eat about 2-3 dozen crickets 3 tomes a week and the rest of the week I feed his squash, berries or green beans. However, a few days before we got the new light, he stopped moving, eating and drinking water. He wouldn't chase his crickets, they just walk on him. This wouldn't freak me out so bad if he would open his mouth. He wont open his mouth or even stand up. This is my first beardie and I'm so lost. Can anyone help me? I'm planning a vet visit for tomorrow or the next day just incase.

lindseyy

Original Poster
98609-8550766874.jpg
98609-8559969971.jpg

right now i have a reptasun 5.0 fluorescent and a heat lamp. normally i have (left to right) basking, heat, uvb.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy looks pretty gloomy. One thing that stands out is the 5.0 uvb. That will not be providing anywhere near enough uvb unfortunately so he is probably suffering from extreme calcium deficiency. Get him a 10.0 and then mount it under the screen like this. :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

You can use string, fishing line or wire to attach it under the screen. For now if you get him out in the sun [ not in his glass tank though ] it may perk him up with a good dose of natural uvb.
And for a basking light replace the red light with a bright white halogen bulb which can be bought at Walmart or Home Depot. Those changes will hopefully help him but if he doesn't seem better real soon you should look for an experienced reptile vet. Be sure to ask if they have experience with beardies or you will waste your money.

lindseyy

Original Poster
what should i do about him not eating? i kinda pulled his side lip down and shot some strawberry/squash juice in there so he would at least have that. also i mixed some calcium powder in some water and shot it in there too. not a lot, but as much as he would let me. by 'shot' i mean i have a plastic syringe i use for my animals when theyre sick. its not a needle or anything.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, he looks like he doesn't feel well.
I agree, he needs a much stronger UVB light & likely has advanced metabolic bone disease.
I would recommend getting a T5 high output tube bulb. There is either the Reptisun 10 or
the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% which are both great.
Feeding him with a syringe is perfectly fine, he needs the nutrition. You can add chicken or
turkey baby food in with the squash, etc for him. You might want to consider a liquid calcium
also to help him absorb calcium more quickly.
Be sure to keep him around 80 in his tank over night to help keep his immune system boosted.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

lindseyy

Original Poster
so he's doing much better now. he is moving around and eating crickets in small doses. i still feed him with the syringe because he likes it. i think he feels kingly about it. anyway, his basking light finally burnt out and i was wondering how many watts should the halogen light be? i have some here at home, but they're 100 watts.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news he is doing better! :D Were you able to get him a new UVB light then?
That is ok, to feed him some with the syringe if he likes it. Is he eating greens too along with
his crickets?
What sized tank do you have? A 100 watt halogen should be ok, as long as it is far enough away
from him which should be 10 or so inches.
You can post updated pictures of him also, when you get a chance.

Tracie

AElizabeth

Your bearded dragon looks extremely ill. If he is over 2 years old, he shouldn’t be that small. It looks like a really bad case of MBD. That red light needs to be taken out and replaced with a Reptisun 10.0 UVB light. He also needs to be taken to a reptile vet so he can be checked out to see if there’s any way the MBD can be reversed.
Red lights are very very bad for bearded dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom