Blankets and Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ncc74656":2og7z1ji said:
well sindragosa had a stellar vet visit. the vet commented how relaxed she was when he forced her mouth open, she hardly squirmed at all... shows how used to human interaction she is...

she ended up going on the 3 hour road trip with me and hanging out at the hospital for a few hours as well. she spent most of the entire drive moving from my shoulder to the top of the seat to watch things fly by outside the window. she is super active right now and awake, the trip seems to have given her lots of energy!

i get her blood and fecal work back in a few days and we will know if she has any lingering issues.

So glad she had a great check up. I need to find a herp vet for Murphy and get him setup for a preventive visit. I know we should hopefully have a Herp vet in Eugene. I know we don't have one here in Florence where I live.

Yesterday we took Murphy out for his first "outing". We went in to Subway to pick up sandwiches, and then went to the park where there were tiny tots baseball games. Our park is beautiful with Cherry blossoms in bloom everywhere. He loved the trip and loved the grass, and just wanted to wander. When we picked him up to walk on the track, he fought us to get back down, and then buried himself into the grass in a S shape.

He was a hit though, my son felt so proud carrying him around. Everyone was commenting on him and his size etc.

He has been eating his greens. I was feeding him after work everyday, but we started feeding him in the morning and he has slowly started eating more and more greens each day. Yesterday he finished all his greens and left the parsley. I know Parsley has no nutritional value so he only had a bit of it mixed in his tub of mustard and turnip greens. He obviously knew it was garnish.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
i get lots of peopel who dont notice sindragosa, ive talked to sales guys for 15 min before and it took someone else to point it out before they noticed. generally tho its been a positive experience

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Have you ever had an issue of taking her in to places before? If so what kind of places? We were a little worried walking in to Subway, but everyone was excited.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
only issue i ever had was a cubfoods, other than that nope... carabu, starbucks, mall of america, auto parts stores, hardware stores, menards, home depot, gas stations, local grocers, pet stores, never had an issue

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
she sat on the seat the entire trip back, watching out the windows
0wvuWqf.jpg

she wiggled back behind me to see out the other side

giNkrZj.jpg

on the trip down she sat like this, each way was a couple hours

y834gsP.jpg

then she wanted to get back outside that night after getting home

3vHvGKd.jpg

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like a great trip. I’ve got to get a good harness & leash for Mystic, he needs some outings. He gets some outdoor time every day, but he need more. I glad yours got a trip in.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
i have noticed that sindragosa will stick pretty close to me, at work if hte outside doors are open she will lay down until i grab her when she passes them. she runs around in an enclosed area freely but for instance in the mornings we will wake up, she will be chilling in her tank or in the window or next to me in the bed and will just sit there for how ever long i lay there (hours some times). ill get up and go to watch tv in the living room and not long after she comes running into teh room, sees me and stops. then goes off to do her own thing, like she is checking where i went. she follows me outside fairly well but some times does run off into the woods, she is large enough that i can see her easily and follow her. i live on the 2nd floor of a condo with a wooded area, she will run around back there and some times start climbing up the stucco of the building. she has never gone beyond a couple feet up however.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I just wanted to add a warning about beardies in a bath or shower. Be aware that many dragons develop R.I's from prolonged exposure to water when being soaked , the faucet running can be a recipe for disaster. Showers would increase that risk quite a bit so be careful of excess soaking ....showering would be even riskier. It's the aspiration of water that can cause the respiratory issues. Here are just a few experiences if you Google the subject :

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232939
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=137089

There are many others and I know one person who's dragon DID drown. And these are only the people who actually posted about it, there are many others out there who have similar experiences who didn't post on a forum. So be careful, it only takes a few seconds to aspirate water + cause big trouble.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
i was worried about her when she was younger but she seems quite confident around water these days and she always has a ladder or floatie near her which she is quite adept at using these days. when she was young i kept her in shallow water, just enough to get a bit wet and maybe drink. progressively moving up to deeper water and now she prefers to go to the deep end of the tub and float/swim around. i still check on her regularly and majority of the time im there with her to watch her.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":385371rd said:
Hi there, I just wanted to add a warning about beardies in a bath or shower. Be aware that many dragons develop R.I's from prolonged exposure to water when being soaked , the faucet running can be a recipe for disaster. Showers would increase that risk quite a bit so be careful of excess soaking ....showering would be even riskier. It's the aspiration of water that can cause the respiratory issues. Here are just a few experiences if you Google the subject :

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232939
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=137089

There are many others and I know one person who's dragon DID drown. And these are only the people who actually posted about it, there are many others out there who have similar experiences who didn't post on a forum. So be careful, it only takes a few seconds to aspirate water + cause big trouble.

Thanks for the information. I sure don't want murphy to get a lung infection.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ncc74656":2jhwk1le said:
she sat on the seat the entire trip back, watching out the windows
0wvuWqf.jpg

she wiggled back behind me to see out the other side

giNkrZj.jpg

on the trip down she sat like this, each way was a couple hours

y834gsP.jpg

then she wanted to get back outside that night after getting home

3vHvGKd.jpg

You've got one lucky dragon there. Her back legs look very muscular.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
well i got her as a rescue from petco by where i live, she was in a tank a year+3 months ago january. she was very small, maybe 3 months old they said. she was getting 2 crickets a day but often not reallyk eating anything. she had shed stuck around her tail, legs, and neck. she was going to be sent back to the breeder because she was too old for anyone to buy her and they had to make room for new stock. my last beardie had passed away a month or so prior and i was not really looking to get another one, i had gone in to return some lighting i wasnt going to use anymore. they gave her to me for 5.00, i couldnt just leave her to die; in MN january its -20f so shipping a warm blooded animal is a major issue let alone a reptile...

the following two months were syringe feedings and olive oil on her shed along with lots of water. some of the shed came off but other areas were turning dark in color so i sat down with an electronics pic and magnifier and started picking in a thin line at the shed, once i had cut the shed in half i left it and continued with the soaking and oil and after a couple weeks the shed broke free and fell away. it looked to be 4 or 5 layers thick.

she began eating on her own and running around her large tank. she would dig her way behind hte carpeting on the walls and use it has a hammock, eventually she started climbing up the sides and onto the top and sitting on the warm spots opposite her lighting. this lead to me just opening the front and allowing her to run around once she was a bit bigger. she would spend lots of time with me, from about 7 months on she stopped sleeping in the tank in favor of the bed and came to work with me every weekend. her outings to stores also started around that time.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
My Kohaku was the smallest beardie in the tank of three at petsmart when I got her fall of last year.

Now at 7 months of age she's finally 11 inches long. She still runs around like a lizard out of hades when I take her to my computer desk, but can be very chill if I am sitting in my recliner and not actually reclining. I haven't been gutsy enough to recline with her out yet because I don't know if I'd be able to 'catch her' if she goes somewhere I feel is dangerous for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom