Adult Beardie not eating insects

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouiePolo

Hello, I recently adopted a 1.5 year old bearded dragon from a pet store employee (came from a 16 year old girl who's parents were sick of it). Anyways, the info I have is that he was somewhat dehydrated due to his poor diet, which consisted of vegetables and exclusively freeze-dried insects. Fast forward to now; i've had him 2 weeks, and while he always eats his greens (an assortment of collard, endive, etc), he shows no interest whatsoever in live insects, neither dubia roaches or superworms. I've tried to put them right in front of his face, but he just closes his eyes (lol).

I assume he may not know what to do with live prey? He has yet to eat anything besides his greens and some other veggies that I've given him. Should I go back to freeze-dried? I know its not as good for them, so I wanted to get him on a healthier diet. He's in a 40-gallon tank, has a hide spot, heat lamp, 10.0 UVB bulb. Any advice would be appreciated.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. It looks like he has mbd. Is the uvb a tube of coil/compact? I would try different feeders super worms are ok as a treat. Maybe try Dubai roaches, Silk worms,crickets or Phoenix worms.

LouiePolo

Original Poster
Uvb is a compact right now, but I have a tube on order, arriving Thursday. I've tried dubia roaches also, and he hasn't shown much interest. Thinking about trying crickets, thinking they are not active and might pique his interest.

Should I take him to a vet for mbd treatment?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Unfortunately the is not treatable. You can with the proper lighting and calcium it won't get worse. I would get liquid calcium that is absorbed better than powder. What is the gun that you ordered?

LouiePolo

Original Poster
I think there may have been an autocorrect issue in your post, but I'll assume you mean the UVB bulb? If so, it's a Zilla 10.0 T8 tube. I will try the liquid calcium as well; I have an appointment with a vet for Friday.

If you don't mind me asking, what in the picture I posted leads you to believe he has MBD? he's not displaying any of the symptoms (no dragging legs, etc), from what I've read online, and the person I got him from worked with reptiles and said he was healthy (for what that's worth).

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Ya, I don't see it either. On the plus side , adults should eat mostly greens 80% 20% most folks have a hard time getting them to make the transition, you're lucky in that aspect.

sheilapb

I too am having the same problem with my 18 month old. She's had no desire or interest in eating any protein I'd say for the past 4 months or so. I've tried crickets, bsfl, super worms, meal worms to no avail. Haven't tried dubias yet. I'm not a fan of roaches.

She is quite spoiled and is hand fed. She'll eat her veggies and fruits without any difficulty...usually! I did gently force feed her bsfl by pulling down her lower lip and pushing them in. She ate them but not with great enthusiasm as when she was younger.

I know they tend to be more vegetarian as they get older but not eating any protein has me concerned. Are there protein supplements for beardies or other protein sources. I've read about giving them beef baby food as a source of protein but worry about the sodium content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom