New hatchling help

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while ago I adopted a female beardies. I had no idea that she was carrying eggs until she started digging one night. The next day we found 18 eggs. They all had a heartbeat so I didn't have the heart to freeze them (don't judge) we kept them in vermiculite in a tub with holes at a constant temp and this week they started hatching. All seemed OK until one that we have had at teatime. While trying to transfer it from the tub to the viv, the dragon seemed to roll on it side with its mouth wide open as tho it was trying to flare its beard at me. I thought it maybe scared as a few have been. But since it's been in the viv it hasn't picked up, just seems to lay there. I know they are often exhausted for about 24 hours but this just doesn't seem right at all. I lifted it to check it wasn't deformed or injured etc but it just stayed limp and opened its eyes. Is there anything I can do apart from wait or is this perfectly normal and will hopefully pick up?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Being a hatchling you'll just have to watch to see how it does. Nothing you can do if it has a congenital problem so the hope is that it's just very tired ATM.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little one! That is always hard to have to see. I hope he is just tired & will start becoming more active.
Let us know how he turns out.

Tracie

Staceyb1985

Original Poster
Hi.
Thanks for all of your help. This morning he seems to be a little more active than he has been so Im hoping he has just been really tired. He's not as active as the rest but seems to be getting there slowly :) x

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh bless him, so he is coming around slowly then! I was hoping that he hadn't passed.
That's great to hear the others are doing well now.
You can post pictures of them also, if you would like.

Tracie

Staceyb1985

Original Poster
Hi,
The baby is doing so well that I can't tell it apart from the others now. They're all running round and eating loads. I'm so pleased. A few are even drinking straight from a plate.
Not sure how to add pictures on here. X

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific the youngster has caught up with the rest & is doing well! I know you must be
relieved, too. I always hate to see the little ones not make it.
Great news, let us know how the entire gang is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They look sweet + spunky ! And that's a nice basking rock that holds the heat for them. :) One more thing to add is a few sticks to criss cross over the rock + give them the choice of climbing + being elevated [ which they love ] off the ground, here's a pic of how I used to keep my babies .

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29895/full

Just grab a few sticks from outside + pop them in a preheated 250 degree oven.

Staceyb1985

Original Poster
That's great thank you I'll get the kids hunting for some. I have kit hen roll tubes in at the minute but they seem to like to stand on top and roll it around the cage lol.
They all seem to be doing great even drinking from a shallow plate which I was pleased about coz mum won't do that x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom