Constant black beard. (RIP Thor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Lately Thor's been acting sickly and unfortunately his beards been pitch black all the time. This has been going on for about 2+ weeks and I'm starting to get worried. This is a previous topic about him and has most of his info: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=240077#p1839724

The only time he's not black bearding is when he's in his blanket asleep getting cuddled. Any Ideas on what's causing this constant pitch black beard? Could he be stressed out? Or is it just from hormones? View media item 60864 View media item 60385 View media item 60652 View media item 61147He's very eager to eat which is good and been ridiculously active and overall he seems great minus the Black beard.

Thank you in advance!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry, I have forgotten, how many other dragons do you currently have?
Some could be hormonal sure, but he shouldn't have a black beard 24/7 though.
I would say if this continues you should take him in to see the vet incase there is some type of
health condition going on, such as kidney or liver problems. I hope not though!
It sounds like though, he loves being cuddled & loves sleeping in his blankie.
He looks really good though!
It's a great sign he has such a good appetite & is very active also.

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I Have four beardies, two males and two females (Cisco and Daisy are the females and Thor and Loki are the males). On my other thread viewtopic.php?f=49&t=241176 Another poster said that it was probably hormones and I thought so too because he keeps trying to mate with everything and is non-stop head bobbing.

Also this morning his beard wasn't black when he was basking. But it seems that he mainly black beards when he's trying to move around and due to his semi-paralysis he can't very well. It almost seems as if he's frustrated when he's trying to get somewhere but can't.

He did fight me a LOT when I had to give him his liquid calcium yesterday. Also I put some raw unpasteurised honey on his leg again but when him and Cisco were out free roaming Cisco kept licking it off of his leg. :banghead:

He seems fine today though. No black beard and was very active and eager to eat.

I'll keep y'all posted on him.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thor is refusing to eat today. :( Also he attempted to poop and strained a lot and pooped out a rock hard urate that when I broke it open seemed to be full of powder or something similar to that. View media item 60882 Could he not be digesting his calcium?

Also his fat pads and eyes have been sunken in and his tail and hip bones are REALLY showing. :( View media item 60646 View media item 60573 View media item 61078 View media item 60790 His fat pads and eyes have been like that for about two days and his tail and hip bones have been like that for about a month. I've tried giving him lots of water and feed him baby food but he still won't get better. :(

He did black beard for a few minutes but when he fell asleep on my pillow he went back to normal. Also there's a strange spot of skin that almost looks like a scrape View media item 60653.

He's been super active still but he still looks sick. :(

Tracie, is it possible to post videos directly to Bd.org? Because I don't have a YouTube account but I still want to post a video of how he moves.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He's not looking good =(. The urate looks dehydrated and his depleted fat pads are concerning to me. I'd say a vet visit is in order to run at least a blood test and see how his systems are going. I don't have much more for you to try other than keep up offering baby food and water.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can get a vet visit soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry, I just came back to check! Poor Thor, were you able to get him to a vet? I don't
like how his fat pads look, something is going on with him.
He definitely needs hydration, but he could have an absorption problem or his kidneys
might be having trouble. I hope not though.
Keep us posted on him, I hope he is feeling better, poor guy.

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thankfully Thor was much better today. :) I Actually just came back in from letting him free roam outside. Although one problem now is that is right nostril is clogged I think from both shedding and a scab/dried blood. :(

Also Last night I had him out and noticed that his nostril looked clogged from what looked like a scab.. So I gently rubbed it hoping it was just food or something and it tuned out to be a scab.. So His nose/area around nostril started bleeding for about two minutes and Thankfully I got it to stop bleeding and Put some raw unpasteurised honey on the scabs and his leg.

He Immediately became very happy and normal again once he found out that there was honey on him and started licking it up off of him. :roll: So I gave him a treat by just giving him a little bit of honey. and That made his day. :love5:

I Haven't gotten him to a vet yet but I will try to soon. He's been very active today and his fat pads and eyes are less sunken in! :blob5: and His hip bones and tail bones aren't as prominent too. But I'm still going to try to get him to the vet.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Update: Thor has been a bit more lethargic lately and his eyes and fat pads have been super sunken in. :( and His tail, hip and back bones are really showing as well. :( He's also constantly flipping onto his back almost every 2 hours. :(

On the bright side he did do a massive poop today and a nice looking urate except that the urate was rock hard. :?

He has a vet appointment tomorrow and I'll let Y'all know how that goes. :)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
:cry: Unfortunately the vet visit didn't go well... The vet said that he was in a very critical condition and it was most likely that his kidneys and other organs were shutting down.. He also went from 230 grams down to 120 grams.. He was very unresponsive and The vet said that he was already dying.. So we opted to put him down... :cry: :cry: :cry: He will be buried soon. :cry: Needless to say, He was my favourite pet. :( I Loved him so much..

It was a really hard decision but the vet is someone whom I trust and he said that there wasn't much hope.

I tried my best to save him, We could've tried treating him but the vet said that there still wasn't a very good chance for him and he was most likely to die within the next week or so.. So I ended his suffering. :(

Thank you everyone who tried to help.. It was greatly appreciated. :)
Fly high sweet Thor! :) You will always hold a special place in my heart. :love5:

Oh poor Thor :( I will miss reading about his wonderful adventures and attitude.

Sounds like you did the best you could have. There is no doubt that he was very loved and, even in his last days, had bright moments with you. ❤

R.I.P. Thor ❤

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thank you. :) I Will miss caring for him, I'll miss snuggling with him, Feeding him, and seeing Those beautiful eyes of his.. :cry:

I Did get to cuddle him for a few minutes before he was put down. It was bitter-sweet but still very sad.. but unfortunately he was ready to die.. He did look dead for a while, and I hope that It was the best thing for him. :(

Here's my original thread with some of his best pictures: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=241176&start=60#p1850925

NoahC

HippieLizards":3tkyljia said:
Thank you. :) I Will miss caring for him, I'll miss snuggling with him, Feeding him, and seeing Those beautiful eyes of his.. :cry:

I Did get to cuddle him for a few minutes before his was put down. It was bitter-sweet but still very sad.. but unfortunately he was ready to die.. He did look dead for a while, and I hope that It was the best thing for him. :(

Here's my original thread with some of his best pictures: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=241176&start=60#p1850925

This is so sad to hear! You've been so helpful to me in the short time I've been on this website, I really hope Thor is resting peacefully now, wherever he is :( . He was so handsome! I hope you're ok x

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thank you. :D and You're welcome. :) I'm always happy to help. :)

Hopefully Thor's up in beardie heaven, Head bobbing until his brains fall out at all the female beardies Lol. :)

I was/am so upset when I saw this! He may be gone but you still have the good memories with him and he is in no pain anymore.. You still have 3 (I think) other beardies to take care of and you'll have so many fun times with them in the future!! Im so sorry for your loss :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom