Would he be able to eat this worm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
I bough hornedworms and they got big faster than my chameleon could eat them and i was wondering if he could eat a worm this size
98274-1839779313.jpg
98274-8223899724.jpg

dezismom

Juvie Member
The best measure is to never feed any thing longer than the space between their eyes...they have a choke reflex that can be a problem. Since that worm is soft, just cut it into approptiate size, then feed. Good nutrition!

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
dezismom":hgii1imu said:
The best measure is to never feed any thing longer than the space between their eyes...they have a choke reflex that can be a problem. Since that worm is soft, just cut it into approptiate size, then feed. Good nutrition!
I tried to cut it and it exploded everywhere

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Bmjo":3iryjdls said:
dezismom":3iryjdls said:
Hello,

:shock: :puke: I Would hate to have had to clean that up! :? I would probably just stick to dubia roaches and crickets until he's larger. I Tried the same thing with the same results. :?

I Agree with everyone.. They are great treats and are nice and soft, But that's way too big for your beardie.

BTW, How big/old is the chameleon you have? Most older chameleons could probably eat a hornworm that size.

-HippieLizards.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If the hornworms are too big for your little beardie to tackle, let them pupate and become moths, he will enjoy the months , and if you have enough moths, let them lay eggs and hatch your own baby hornworms and raise them to appropriate size on "hornworm chow".

In the main, I find lizards can handle bigger worms than the usual rule of thumb (distance between the eyes) if they are the soft squishy variety (ie silkworms , I expect hornworms will work the same too , being very soft and squishy , just expect a wormy explosion when he bites it).

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Yeah.. and Definitely do be prepared for a worm juice explosion.. You don't want to get hornworm juice in your eye (Ouch)! :?

dezismom

Juvie Member
So sorry, bmjo! that sounds sooo gross, and somehow, a little funny! :):) I have never cut a hornworm in half, so perhaps I should not have given that particular advise. woops! I was just trying to help you avoid wasting it, knowing those are rather expensive worms...I do not feed my boy hornwoms,because I think they (the hornworms) are kinda cute. I know that is weird, but,oh, well....

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HippieLizards":hx1tvzn7 said:
Bmjo":hx1tvzn7 said:
dezismom":hx1tvzn7 said:
Hello,

:shock: :puke: I Would hate to have had to clean that up! :? I would probably just stick to dubia roaches and crickets until he's larger. I Tried the same thing with the same results. :?

I Agree with everyone.. They are great treats and are nice and soft, But that's way too big for your beardie.

BTW, How big/old is the chameleon you have? Most older chameleons could probably eat a hornworm that size.

-HippieLizards.
I really want to feed Dubias but my mom won’t allow it. My chameleon is 9 months but i didn’t have any crickets yesterday

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Nine months? What kind of chameleon? I'm pretty sure that your chameleon would love that. Especially since the worm's so soft and squishy It would probably be easy to eat.

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HippieLizards":17d9mjnt said:
Nine months? What kind of chameleon? I'm pretty sure that your chameleon would love that. Especially since the worm's so soft and squishy It would probably be easy to eat.
He is a veiled. I saved him from a reptile shop that the guy didn’t care for them very well. I was force feeding him for 2 months and i took him to the vet and got him all situated so his growth is a little bit stunted

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
If you still have the worm I Bet that the chameleon would love that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom