Alternate food option help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRkorey

So my beardie is about 16 inches in length from head to top of his tail. So 5-6 months I believe. Crickets are getting a little pricey I bought about 200 from our local pet store and that literally lasts my like 2 Days MAYBE 3. He loves eating lol I tried ordering in bulk with that flukers farm and literally more then half came dead and just smelt so I’m not doing that again. My question is could I switch to worms for him. I feel that would be a tad easier also. If so what worms are good for him around that age? Any help would be great thanks guys! Oh here’s a little pic of him!
96322-8947588675.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sorry , but there is no satisfactory substitute for high quality live insects every day for a juvenile bearded dragon.

At 6 months old , he needs AT LEAST TWO feeds of live insects EVERY DAY , as many as he wants each meal.

The best feeders for him are :
BSF lavae and flies
silkworms to about 1.5 inches long or moths
crickets up to 1/3 size which are gutload and dusted
roaches similar size and as above
locusts similar size and as above.

Pellets are not adequate.

Mealworms , maybe a few once a week as treats / bribes.
Superworms - too big until he is about 12 months old.

NYRkorey

Original Poster
Oh no I would never switch off live food for him never. That’s not what I meant sorry! I may try silk worms and see how he enjoys them. I don’t have much exp with worms can I just put them in a bowl and let him eat as much as he wants ?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
Nice beardie you got there. Looks content and alert, which is good. The best diet for any dragon is a variety of food like what kingofnobbys was mentioning. My beardie was raised on crickets in the beginning but then I offered him dubia roaches and ever since then he loves them. The best is to offer maybe one week of crix, one week of dubias, you can also alternate in between so one feeding crix and worms as long as your beardie is getting twice feeding. I would not recommend any type of mealworms when beardie is young since they have a hard shell skin so its harder for their digestive systems. If crickets are working out for you can always order online, buy in bulk, much cheaper and cost effective. Same thing with dubia roaches.. might be worth checking into a dubia colony especially when they are young and love to eat :D Best calcium feeders would be the BSFL (black soldier fly larvae) and the silkworms. You also may want to try offering a bit of the super greens in as well (ex. collard greens, dandelion greens - try to get organic if possible, less pesticides), I did this as soon as I got my beardie and he still loves to eat his salad so just try to offer a little bit a day.

Here is a great website to check out for nutrition:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom