New to breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I have a male and just bought a female. They bobbed their heads and waved to each other. The store owner that I got both of my Beardies will take care of her before she lays her eggs. We put them in the same cage and they really liked each other. All I wanted was a friend for “Willie”. Lily is a sweetie. They keep going after each other. After she’s pregnant will they stop mating? Is this going to be a forever thing? What did I get myself into? Help! Any info will be appreciated.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Beardies don't need friends just so you know... in fact it stresses them out if they have another beardie with them. Sometimes so badly it kills them.

The only time they actually come together is for mating, thats it. And when the eggs are laid and covered up the female leaves the babies forever, when they hatch and if one or two unlucky babies happens to cross its mother or fathers path then it will become a nice dinner or breakfast for her or him... or really any other beardie for that matter, even its siblings.

You'll need to get a separate enclosure ASAP as I doubt your ready for hundreds of babies that require thousands of crickets and other bugs monthly.
On average a single baby bearded dragon eats about 60 bugs every single day until about 4 months of age.

Even if she gets gravid I'm sure he'll keep mating with her until she's too weak and dies. If beardies don't have enough calcium in their body the eggs will take calcium from their bones.

Just so you know my female laid a clutch of 27 eggs about 30 days ago of fertile eggs and that took about 100 grams from her.. she was skinny, didn't have an appetite for a few days, she just looked terrible and was very lethargic.
Fun fact though, they mated over a year ago when they were only about 6-7 months of age. And she only now laid the eggs most likely because she wasn't as mature back then and didnt have all these hormones she does now, also beardies hold sperm in their body for quite a while.
This wasn't planned at all... in fact it was quite a surprise when I looked at the eggs with a flash light out of curiosity.
She laid a second clutch just yesterday, Im hoping this is her last clutch but they can lay up to about 6 clutches... sometimes even more. Luckily they were all infertile as there was 28 eggs.
Also from these two clutches i've learned something, fertile ones take a lot out of the female and infertile ones don't. My female only lost about 40 grams with this clutch.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Venus, that's interesting. Are you positive that your first clutch is fertile, and do you have pics of them ? And are you positive that they did not mate again ? And laying fertile eggs should not be so hard on any dragon. Most of my girls were pretty lively afterwards + ate either the same day or the next, and bounced back very quickly. Maybe your girl was dehydrated before + after.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I'm as positive as ever that the first clutch is fertile, although most didnt make it... I dont know if thats because I wasn't prepared, accidentally moved them from their position or if they just weren't good eggs.

I currently have one that is doing fairly good, I can see tons of veins in it and its pretty white and plump. Theres a few more but pretty sure they wont make it.

I do indeed have pics of them, this is the most recent pic of the good egg. I took it a few days ago. Looks a lot better in person than on the photo.
89510-601587240.jpg

I'm pretty positive that they didn't mate again, only time I ever had them out together after I moved them to separate tanks was always with me watching them very closely. Them mating at 6-7 months is pretty much my only idea of how the eggs could be fertile.

I don't think she was dehydrated before but maybe afterwards. It took her about an hour to lay each time but the second clutch seemed to be a lot easier for her as she took food very willingly and is completely active right now.

Kimgreen16

Original Poster
Hello again. Ty for the info. I’m not dealing with the babies or eggs. When she is ready to lay I’m sending her to a professional. I’m unable to get two separate tanks. I’ll return her. I hate to say that, she is a sweetie and she is flame colored and really beautiful. I want them to be happy and healthy and I’ll do whatever is best for them. I hoped once they had eggs that he would leave her alone and they would be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom