Juvenile found and can't use any of his legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven7777777

I work at a vet and a client brought in a young beardie that was cold. We put him on a heating pad and syringe fed a small amount of water. He is awake and seems to try to move but none of his legs will cooperate. They ran to the store and got mealworms. He ate two and was VERY interested in eating. Our vets do not have reptile experience so I offered to take it home to try and save it.

My question is: does anyone know what this could be and how I can help him survive? I honestly am hesitant to buy everything (tank, light, supplements, etc) if his prognosis is grave. Is there anything I can do TONIGHT to help him feel better? I'm more than willing to invest in this guy if he has a chance. I've owned 2 in the past but they never had any problems.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I'm glad that you're trying to help this beardie. :)

By what you are describing it sounds like he is fully paralysed. I Have a male beardie who is semi-paralysed and he seems just fine (it doesn't seem to bother him most of the time) but I've never taken care of a fully paralysed beardie before.

It really depends on how he is on how well his prognosis is. If he can eat, drink, bask, and defecate on his own then his prognosis will be very good.

Could you post some pictures of him and his current setup https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/? How long is he? How much does he weigh? What are you feeding him? How is he doing today? What's his substrate?

I Hope that he gets better! :)

-HippieLizards.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, I hope you can get him to recover more. Definitely try to post some pictures for
us so we can see his condition. Does he appear injured in any way? Can he move his front
arms or push himself up & lift himself up off of the floor at all?
I think it's worth a try, he deserves a chance, especially if he is eager to eat & seems happy.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
How is the beardie doing today? Is he still alive?

Please keep us posted! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes definitely let us know how he is doing, it sounds like he is critical!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom