Blood in Stool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently been finding traces of bright red blood in my bearded dragons poop. It has been for about a week now so nothing has changed. I am wondering if this is something that needs immediate care from a vet or if there is something that I am doing to cause it? Any help would be appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, blood in the stool is considered serious, depending on how much you are talking about
here. Are you sure it's blood & not something you are feeding like strawberries or cherries?
It can be caused by straining while going to the bathroom, or a heavy load of worms or
parasites. Other causes are renal or liver issues possibly.
Does your dragon have a black beard or not? How is his appetite?
Please review your tank setup with us so we can determine if anything is needing to be
changed or if it's all correct.

Tracie

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
Drache613":dr0v4ihl said:
Hello,

Well, blood in the stool is considered serious, depending on how much you are talking about
here. Are you sure it's blood & not something you are feeding like strawberries or cherries?
It can be caused by straining while going to the bathroom, or a heavy load of worms or
parasites. Other causes are renal or liver issues possibly.
Does your dragon have a black beard or not? How is his appetite?
Please review your tank setup with us so we can determine if anything is needing to be
changed or if it's all correct.

Tracie

Hey! Its not a lot of blood at all its a very small amount, and i know its not anything im feeding him. He isnt showing any sign of distress at all and is eating as usual. His tank is also properly set up. Its 100 gal tank with the reptisun 10.0 tube light and his temp is around 100f in his basking spot. I regularly give him his calcium and multi vitamin. Im really not sure whats wrong.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It might be a good idea to get a fecal done on him, just to be sure that it isn't worms or parasites.
Have you noticed whether or not he has strained when he goes to the bathroom?
That's great he is still eating well & active, too.
How close is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb to him, is it on top of or underneath of the screen?

Tracie

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
I mean how can i tell if he is straining? Looks just as happy pooing as he always did ? his uvb is under the top about 11-12 inches away from him

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
Drache613":1gwq94m2 said:
Hello,

It might be a good idea to get a fecal done on him, just to be sure that it isn't worms or parasites.
Have you noticed whether or not he has strained when he goes to the bathroom?
That's great he is still eating well & active, too.
How close is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb to him, is it on top of or underneath of the screen?

Tracie

I mean how can i tell if he is straining? Looks just as happy pooing as he always did ? his uvb is under the top about 11-12 inches away from him

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, if he is straining, he will be trying to go but nothing is happening or his muscles twitch
& it takes longer for him to go. Were the urates harder than normal?
If this continues, I would definitely consider getting a fecal done, just so you know if he may
have worms or parasites.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
Drache613":lpnet1t2 said:
Hello,

Well, if he is straining, he will be trying to go but nothing is happening or his muscles twitch
& it takes longer for him to go. Were the urates harder than normal?
If this continues, I would definitely consider getting a fecal done, just so you know if he may
have worms or parasites.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

To be honest nothing is out of the ordinary at all except for the blood. I haven't checked his urate so I'm going to do that the next time he poos because he didn't today. Will keep posted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, let us know how things are going. Hopefully he doesn't continue to have blood with his
stool. It could just be harder urates & nothing else.

Tracie

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
Drache613":34tpnjqc said:
Hello,

Ok, let us know how things are going. Hopefully he doesn't continue to have blood with his
stool. It could just be harder urates & nothing else.

Tracie

Hey. Today he pooped and there wasn't any blood and he was as happy as could be. Very strange. I will continue to keep an eye on him for the next few days and see if there are any changes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news to hear then! Hopefully it was just a fluke then, or something he was
eating or drinking? I hope that doesn't happen again. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

heidiveinohatt

Original Poster
Drache613":3itzapk8 said:
Hello,

That is great news to hear then! Hopefully it was just a fluke then, or something he was
eating or drinking? I hope that doesn't happen again. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

The only thing that might have caused any issues in my mind is not hydrated enough or too much calcium? Idk if that could be related at all, but those are the only two errors i think i couldve been making.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Reptisun distance is ok, you could try to move it a little closer to a 6-8 inch range if
possible. I'm glad to hear it is underneath of the screen!
Were the urates hard? If he is getting too much calcium or not processing it well then his
urates will be harder & somewhat discolored. As an adult, he needs calcium 3 or so times
per week.
You could also give a bit more oral fluids to him, just to be sure he is getting adequate water.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom