Concerned about Tail Rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylej

Hey guys,

I am a first time Beardie owner and am slightly concerned about my little guys tail. I was told at the time I purchased him that he was 6 months old, however he is only 11.5" long so I am thinking he is closer to 3.5-4 months. I didn't notice any discoloration in his tail when we purchased him. He has been shedding quite a bit lately, and his eating habits do seem normal. I don't think he hurt himself at all in his enclosure and it seems strange to me that his tail is going dark like it is. Could this be normal color change and I am just being paranoid? Even when he is under his basking lamp it seems dark, although sometimes it seems to lighten some? It's really hard to tell. It stays darker more often than not I would say though. Basking temp right now is 106 on the probe sitting right next to him. UVB is 8" above him and using a Reptisun 10.0.

His staple has been crickets, although he has gotten hornworms, silkworms, waxworms, butterworms, and superworms as treats (supers I didn't realize they should be 16" atleast, I was told 6 months and was told he was 6 months and didn't do enough research so we stopped giving him them, I think he had maybe 2 max 3). I do know that he prefers worms to crickets and we are picking up BSFL and getting rid of the crickets tomorrow. He is eating a little bit of greens eat day but not much.

Let me know if you guys need any other information from me in order to accurately diagnose whats going on with this little dude. I really hope he is okay - if there is any concern it could be tail rot I really want to get treating it asap.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

98534-1920534210.jpg
98534-1507040914.jpg
98534-5044615148.jpg
98534-2145198938.jpg

Kylej

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it! Better to check in and be safe rather than sorry.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I Agree with nobbys. That looks like perfectly normal colors. I Think that the tail is getting ready to shed soon. Btw, I Love the dunner patterning on him. Very pretty! :)

-HippieLizards.

Kylej

Original Poster
Thanks! He is so beautiful, I love him to bits. My girlfriend and I decided to name him Smaug after LOTR haha, such nerds :lol: I thought it might have something to do with shedding as he has been quite a bit lately.

I believe he is a hypo as well, all of his claws are see through. Though I am no expert. I am considering getting a female sometime in August at the Expo when its in town. It's been such a blessing having him around!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
He seems to be a hypo citrus dunner.

and I Love the name! :D Lol, All my beardies have nerd names. :mrgreen: I Have Cisco (the flash, even though I found out that she was female later on), Thor (marvel), Daisy (marvel), and Loki (marvel). :mrgreen: I'm a huge nerd. :)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Cisco is my oldest who is around three and a half,

Thor's age isn't entirely known since he was a rescue and he's stunted in growth so it's hard to tell but I'm assuming around two to four years old.

Daisy is two and a half to three years and Loki is three.

Lol So basically two and a half to three and a half years old for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom