What should I do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxCRAZEE

Hey what's up everyone?

So I've recently upgraded my little guy Migi from a 20 gallon to the Large Exo Terra, and I'm curious on what the usual next upgrade is for most owners and how they go about obtaining a viv so BIG.

k3hioI4.jpg

Added a 36" Reptisun T5 10.0 HO T5 (along with PowerSun I already have)
That's what he's in now, which will probably last another few months, if that. I like to make sure he has plenty enough room to run around.

KnSOPDl.jpg

Migi and I thank you VERY MUCH!

Any ideas? I'm still a newbie, so please Oh, Beardie Gods, inform me.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

Welcome to the forum! :) The enclosure is nice! and You have a very pretty dude there. :D

I Would think that once your beardie reaches full size (around 14+ Inches is for a typical adult. Mine are all around 16-19 inches long) You should probably upgrade to a 4 L x 2 W x 2 T tank. He would LOVE the space probably.

I'm soon going to upgrade my biggest beardie Loki to a tank similar that size and I'm hoping that he'll enjoy it.

Loki (and my other three) says hi too! :D View media item 60418
Feel free to ask any questions regarding beardies. We're all happy to help! :)

-HippieLizards.

xxCRAZEE

Original Poster
Thanks! Glad to finally be a part of the forum!

Migi appreciates the compliment! Wait, 14in+ is adult????
(That sounds like a wonderful tank idea, is it possible to find something like that pre-made or is that a DIY kind of job?)

He's just hitting over 6 months and is at 16in!!
Aww! Loki looks so majestic!! Tell them all Migi says hi back!!! (beardie wave)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
You're Welcome. :)

14 inches is more of a sub-adult.. I Meant to say 16-17+ is typically an adult size (Darned auto correct).

I Would look on somewhere like craigslist for a tank that size. You could use a literal glass tank or you could buy one of those melamine cages that you would probably find at a reptile expo or something similar. Or you could make your own custom cage. They're really great for beardies. Here's a video I found on how to build one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4W6Ye_XvEA

and Loki's my newest beardie.. I Have three more Lol. This is the rest of my crew View media item 61067
I Can tell that Migi seems to be a leatherback with some tiger morph in him. He's got some nice patterns in there. :)

xxCRAZEE

Original Poster
I definitely want to attend a reptile expo they have one coming to Tampa next month I believe. Pretty excited be at my first one. Thanks for the ideas, as well as the video, I'll definitely take a look. I'm pretty DIY capable so if it'll save a few hundred bucks, that'll probably be the route.

How do you get the to be all so tame? They look so comfortable!

I knew he was a leatherback, but not "Tiger Morph". There's so much to learn when it comes to these guys. All Petsmart had was "fancy" as an explanation, haha. I noticed the temp inside the viv they had him in with others was a little below what temp should be. So that immediately prompted my purchase of him. (Got to pick him out as a Christmas gift, and immediately wanted him in a better situation than he was)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
You will LOVE the reptile expos. They're awesome. :) When you go to a reptile expo and if you bring your beardie the vendors there could probably tell you what morph he is.

and I handle my beardies a lot and take them out a lot so they're used to each other and me. and All of them are super tame and mellow too so that helps them not freak out when they see eachother (although Cisco occasionally will black beard and bob at Daisy to show her that she's the boss).

and Lol, There is no 'fancy' morph actually. It's typically when the breeder or seller doesn't know what the exact morph is so they just call it "fancy" because they look different then the normal colors.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
I'm going to my first reptile show this weekend I think it's still a little too cold to take her out as it'll only be in mid sixties this weekend in the Cincinnati area (in the morning it'll still be forties or fifties).

She's about eleven inches at this time, what is a good thing to transport her in if I wanted to take her to a future reptile show. I'm going to look at enclosures there to see if there's one that can either be delivered or be disassembled and light enough to carry up two flights of stairs. It's going to be an experience.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Welcome to the forum! Migi is a beaury--Love the pattern on her back...so artistic! Your set up looks great, and the reptisuns are good UVB sources.I use a reptisun 24" tube light for desert reptiles, and have been quite satisfied. As to size, I have a 40 gallon reptile tank--it is longer and wider than a 40 gal fish tank, and the glass is less reflective. I started out with a fishtank, but my boy saw his reflection in it and was constantly agitated, bearding and glass surfing.

The 40 would be too small for my boy (he is big! a full 24 inches and still growing!) But I am always home, and Dezi gets lots of time out of his viv, so he gets his exercise and seems happy and healthy. Also, we take long trips in an RV, and Dezi gets to be a free roaming Beardie in the RV. He loves that. He has a viv in the RV almost identical to his one at home, but seldom uses it. He has a ledge behind the RV sofa next to a window, with his lamps set up there, so that is his usual place in the daytime. I had to remove all the pretty decorative items from his vivs, to give him more space, so I would like to get him into a bigger home viv that I could decorate, but have space issues.

So, the best size of your Migi's viv will depend on your available space, finances, his activity level, size, time outside her viv, etc. Does that help at all? I think maybe it just added more complications to your question--sorry! ??.

tameness and docility seem to be a product of several factors: frequent handling is most important. Dez spends several hours on/with me every day. I got him at around 8 weeks, and began handling him immediately. I socialized him by having visitors hold him, and taking him for car rides and visits to pet stores. He is totally relaxed in any environment, as long as he can see me. Another factor of tameness is the individual personality of the Beardie...each one is different. Some have high energy levels, while others are just naturally more laid back and social. Age also makes a big difference. At around six months (puberty), they tend to settle down and become more confident. The older they get, the more relaxed and confident they become. Dezi is three years, and totally laid back.

Everything about these remarkable creatures is quite individual. They are such complex, intelligent, emotional beings! I would never have believed it, before I became Dezis willing slave. He has sucha huge range of emotion, and as we got to know one another, I learned his body language and facial expressions, so now we communicate as well as any pet I have had. Our bond is deep, and beautiful. You will have this with your lovely Migi, too! Welcome to the wonderful world of Bearded dragons.

Here is Dezi, showing his laid back attitude...
82765-779776052.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom