Another rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Very vocal tonight while feeding and "playing" .... several barks from her .... I believe these are skink talk for " I'm very excited and having a ball "....

Definitely into snuggles after she's eaten and if I put her to bed before she's ready , she objects and tells me in no uncertain terms " I want back out ....NOW !! ".

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I can't get over how amazing she looks!!! What a fantastic recovery, truly!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It's hard to get used to the idea of a lizard making noise and having another way to communicate. I've learned to make do with color changes and, of course, the famous "Look".

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
She owns me , this proves it
24feb2018_fluffy_on_my_head.jpg

She was really happy to be out of her 100L tub today and starving .... we had the window installers here all day yesterday taking our old weathered aluminium sliding kitchen and lounge room windows out and installed new double glased tinted aluminium sliding windows --- very noisy and dusty
--- I moved the dragon and skink tanks and tubs into the master bedroom (good thing they all have wheels and casters) for the day and I didn't feed Fluffy yesterday or take her out of the tank at all. Thought the loud power tools would really stress her , I saw Cheakie "heading for the hills" = disappearing up the hallway not long after the strangers (two tradies) came inside and started making a racket. Didn't see Cheakie or Speedie at all today.

Near ate my finger tips today - way very hungry and licked my fingers clean, even ate a whole mealworm I dropped next to her while I was feeding her.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Got Fluffy on the same feeding schedule as George & Mildred (the two Eastern BTs) from now , ie insects / protein every 2nd day.

Will see how she goes on this for a few weeks.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, you have definitely been claimed by The Queen. :lol:

I think I know you well enough to be able to safely assume that you are taking all the necessary precautions to make sure that Her Majesty does not fall off of her perch and injure her royal self. :wink:

It sounds like things are pretty hectic at your house with all the remodeling going on, but it also sounds like you'll have some very nice new windows to enjoy after the dust settles.

Having the tanks on casters sounds very convenient. Our beardie tank sits on a piece of furniture that my husband originally built to be a couch that could be converted to a twin sized bed with storage drawers in the bottom -- he's pretty good at building things, but he built it to fit his own slightly taller and much thinner body, so it never worked for me as a couch, nor did it work as an extra bed for someone to stay with us and sleep in the living room, as my husband had hoped. So one day I got the bright idea that it could be converted to a terrarium platform for a bearded dragon and I asked him if that would be doable, and he said yes and did a beautiful job, and the rest is history...

At least you found out that Fluffy is fully capable of eating a whole mealworm all by herself if she gets hungry enough, even if her human slave doesn't cut it up for her. :mrgreen:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I'm pretty sure my husband could put the casters on, but we would need to recruit a number of younger and stronger guys to do the heavy lifting, and we'd probably have to move some other furniture as well in order to make the space to flip this thing on its side (it's really quite a monstrosity, but very sturdy and does the job well), not to mention moving the 125 gallon tank which probably weighs at least a couple hundred pounds (maybe even at least a hundred kilos, at that :wink: ). No plans to move anything in the foreseeable future, so it's fine where it is and the way it is for now. Our beardie is in a good place, within visual range of the largest windows in the house. :D

But I'm always in the market for good ideas, just in case, so thanks for the info.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Fluffy now tolerates a pat from my wife, and will even crawl over from my hand to her hand for brief visit but wont stay on her for very long before turning around and crawling back onto me.

More interaction with my wife will help remedy that , Lucky and Wriggles used snuggle into her cleavage and up high on her chest near her neck and ears on a regular basis and have naps there, but it took a little while before they trusted her and were comfortable enough with her to be affectionate towards her .... Fluffy is still a one hooman skink at the moment.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Well, at least Fluffy is learning to be polite to her favorite human's favorite human.

Cleavage does make a nice warm place for a lizard to snuggle. I think our beardie also knows that his "mommy's" warm mammalian body has a couple of extra pillows on the chest that he can cuddle up in between. But he'll settle down with "Daddy" too if he puts him under his jacket and makes a warm dark place for him.

I think they like to get up under your chin by your neck because it's usually nice and warm there, and probably also because your chin makes a nice little "overhang" like a roof over them, so once they trust you, it probably makes them feel safe and protected too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Slowly weening her off handfeeding , she's resisting , but ate 2 whole BSFL & 4 mealworm pupa overnight from her feeding dish, and made fast work of a whole medium (2/3 size) cricket this afternoon.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So at least you know she won't starve, just in case her favorite human slave is ever not available to cut up her worms for her. :wink:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":2tw6cdq9 said:
So at least you know she won't starve, just in case her favorite human slave is ever not available to cut up her worms for her. :wink:

It's harder on me than her....

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, they do get their hold on us, don't they?

Last night my husband brought home a new batch of roaches and I made the mistake of setting the little container on a table near the tank where our beardie could see it, and he went nuts. :blob5: Like, "I want some of those RIGHT NOW!" I tried to explain to him that it was almost bedtime and he wouldn't have time to properly digest them, but he obviously did NOT agree with me. I barely managed to not give in to his demands (not to mention his cuteness :p ).

Fortunately he didn't stay mad at me for too long -- settled down and snuggled up for his bedtime cuddle a little while later. :love5: That's when it's all worth it...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I still hand feed Fluffy , but also leave insects in an escape proof dish and she graces on them too.

Just discovered we have a new baby water skink living in the house .... and I mean tiny !!

I think may well be one of cheakie's babies and it has been seen in several rooms.

Been very warm for April , heatwave conditions this week here, so the skinks who live outside are back and are hungry .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom