Shedding info for Newbies

Chanza

Hatchling Member
My dragon sheds very quickly and it flakes off in small peices, with the hand and foot area taking the longest to fully complete.

Hey guys,

I have two bearded dragons.
Saphira is 1 year old and finally came out of brumation about 3 weeks ago. :) but I haven’t seen her shed yet is that normal? And when do you think I will see her shed?

Ember on the other hand is 6 months old and all I see from her recently is that she gets dull in color for a day and goes back the her normal color or even darker sometimes. I’m confused what’s going on. Can anyone explain? And can you maybe tell me when I should expect to see her shed?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Maspethzoo":3gkbywnd said:
Hey guys,

Saphira is 1 year old and finally came out of brumation about 3 weeks ago. :) but I haven’t seen her shed yet is that normal? And when do you think I will see her shed?

Ember on the other hand is 6 months old and all I see from her recently is that she gets dull in color for a day and goes back the her normal color or even darker sometimes. I’m confused what’s going on. Can anyone explain? And can you maybe tell me when I should expect to see her shed?

It's hard to say for sure. They shed at different rates both between eachother and against their own past sheds. Sometimes, especially as they get older, they shed in odd patches and even a single scale at a time. Unless you see a shed that seems to be cutting off circulation around the tail or fingers they'll just kind of do their thing in their own time and there isn't much to do or worry over.

CooperDragon":2wjmvx6z said:
Maspethzoo":2wjmvx6z said:
Hey guys,

It's hard to say for sure. They shed at different rates both between eachother and against their own past sheds. Sometimes, especially as they get older, they shed in odd patches and even a single scale at a time. Unless you see a shed that seems to be cutting off circulation around the tail or fingers they'll just kind of do their thing in their own time and there isn't much to do or worry over.

How can you tell if the shed is cutting off circulation?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You'll see some dead skin in a ring around a finger or the tail and it will look like it's clamping down on the tail and causing an indent. Sometimes you'll see swelling beyond this area or if it's advanced the area beyond it will look black or shriveled. It's not common but it's something to keep an eye out for.

CooperDragon":3ohtyqoq said:
You'll see some dead skin in a ring around a finger or the tail and it will look like it's clamping down on the tail and causing an indent. Sometimes you'll see swelling beyond this area or if it's advanced the area beyond it will look black or shriveled. It's not common but it's something to keep an eye out for.

Thanks

Thanks for this post. Newbie here, only a week into having our rescued juvenile beardie and I think he is starting to shed on his back. He just looked off to me and I am a little concerned, but seems like from these posts, this could be what is going on. He is a bit more sluggish (not that I have much to compare to as we have only had him a week). When he gets to explore the living room floor, he moves around but loafs in the tank mostly in somewhat odd positions (i.e., half hanging from his basking spot). I have given him to baths (he just sits there while I drip water over him, but he doesn't seem to hate it).

97894-4379047165.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Loafing in the tank in odd positions all sounds like pretty normal beardie behavior to me.

You'll get used to what shedding looks like -- most people usually wonder what's wrong the first time they see it. And as long as he doesn't mind a bath and sits still for it, that will help with the shed -- it keeps the skin moist and helps it come off easier.

Some beardies get grumpy when they're shedding, and some even go off their food for a little while. Others seem to take it all in stride and it doesn't seem to bother them too much. You'll also get used to what's normal for yours when he's shedding.

Emjay22

So I’m just posting here so it won’t “close due to inactivity” because this thread is great and I don’t want it to close so when I get my beardie I can post on here???

NuJohn321

Hakuna is shedding today. His head. Ive never heard it before but it sounded like clicking when he was breathing after a bath. Not too much but was. But then figured it could be the skin on his nose blocking him from breathing because thats when he oppened his mouth to breathe. Am i correct?

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sometimes they open their mouths to cool off when they're warm, and it's nothing to worry about as long as they have a cooler place to go in case they want to get out of the heat -- like when they're basking.

As long as you don't see any discharge or bubbles coming from his nose (which could indicate a respiratory infection), he's probably ok. Not sure about the "clicking," but nostril sheds can look pretty weird the first time you see one. (Someone on this website once mentioned "Shrek boogers." :lol: ) The skin comes off for a ways up inside, so you see this little plug come out, but don't try to pull it if it's half out, because the skin is delicate. They usually rub their nose on something and they come out when they're ready. I would suppose that they might want to breathe through their mouth when that's going on, but I think they can usually still get air through their nostrils.

Hope this helps, but it's been a few days, so he may be done shedding whatever he's shedding by the time you read this.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom