Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc555

Hi im setting up a baby bearded dragon tank and i was just wondering can i use this humid/Warm UVB bulb rather than an dry/warm light UVB bulb? Or should i return this for the dry/warm one thanks. Its a tropical all living things 18” tropical fluorescent UVB bulb versus the other type i dont have and can get called the dry one thanks.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Well for starters, this is a desert species not a tropical one, all living things UVB bulbs are not sufficient enough, T8 UVB bulbs can not be used unless a specific kind and mounted inside underneath screen at about 6-8 inches from the basking spot.

Just to point out plastic and glass (solid objects) block out all UVB, sadly some fixtures come with a plastic guard over the bulb which means the beardie will get no UVB with the plastic over the bulb.
Screen also blocks about 40-50% of all UVB.

Only brands of tube lights that can be used perfectly fine are Reptisun and Arcadia. And even then you can't just get any bulb as some are better than others, some produce a higher percentage, some can't be placed on screen, and some are just worthless.

The minimum for on top of a screen enclosure is a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB. (10-12 inches from the basking spot)
The minimum for inside the enclosure is a Reptisun T8 10.0 UVB bulb. (6-8 inches from the basking spot)

I suggest going for a 22" or a 34" Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB tube light with a reflective fixture.

Other acceptible UVB tube lights,
Arcadia D3+ T5 HO 12% (10-12 inches from the basking spot)
Arcadia D3+ T5 HO 14% (about 16 inches from the basking spot)

(When I say 10-12 inches away from the basking spot that Is basically how far it can be from it and still produce a decent amount of UVB)

Just in case, the minimum for a baby bearded dragon is a 20 gallon, that would last up till about 6 months of age were you would then need a 40-50 gallon which will last you a bit until you need the minimum of a 75 gallon enclosure when they turn about 12 months old.

You could probably use the 22" for the 20 gallon and 40-50 gallon enclosure but for a 75 gallon I recommended going for a 34" or a 46" UVB bulb.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
As Venus had stated, all living things and other china made kind of brands are best avoided. Another thing to note is that certain compact uvb bulbs are okay as well. Brands like Exo Terra and some others have adequate performance and can rarely, if ever hurt the eyes of your reptile(again, the actual chance of the bulb hurting the reptile's eye is EXTREMELY slim if the right brand is used). Opinions differ on minimum wattage and whether to have the bulb above or below a screen top. Many suggest going with the higher wattage Exo Terra desert compact uvb below screen or at least within 6-8 inches of the reptile. I have been using a 13w compact exo terra uvb desert version above screen at around 8 inches with no problem for the past 6 or so months but I will definitely update if ANYTHING happens. I'll be switching to a tube exclusively because I've heard that people that have switched from compacts to tubes have more active reptiles. And since my beardy is 5 years old and lazy for most of the day(except for eating his salad and eating crickets, he runs like the Flash when getting crickets), I'm gonna try getting my beardy a bit more active. So, if you can use a tube, definitely go with a Reptisun t5 10.0 or an Arcadia 12-14% and if you use a compact, go with the desert version or the step up. The version that performs higher than the desert version isn't often sold in stores so, if you're willing to take the risk of getting a broken, hard to return bulb, order online. If not, go with the desert version from petsmart and that is that. While a compact is just fine for enclosures for I'd say up to 4 feet long, I wouldn't use one in an enclosure that is 6 or more feet long

NOTE : My temps are actually adequate. They reach 90+ plus degrees. So it's not that he needs a higher wattage bulb, he's just genuinely lazy.

jc555

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice, i understand but since i have a strong UVB baskling light (where beardies are most their time) couldnt i still just get the dry all living things as a supplement? Not necessarily his primary UVB source?

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
I would never ,ever use an All living things bulb. They are frankly junk. UVB is one place I have found that you definitely get what you pay for.
Are you using an MVB for a basking lamp? How do you have it set up?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
KeyBlu422":2cu5pho7 said:
Opinions differ on minimum wattage and whether to have the bulb above or below a screen top. Many suggest going with the higher wattage Exo Terra desert compact uvb below screen or at least within 6-8 inches of the reptile. I have been using a 13w compact exo terra uvb desert version above screen at around 8 inches with no problem for the past 6 or so months but I will definitely update if ANYTHING happens. [...] While a compact is just fine for enclosures for I'd say up to 4 feet long, I wouldn't use one in an enclosure that is 6 or more feet long

Compact lamps aren’t a good choice, when other options are available. They have a safe spectrum, but the output area is pretty small. They are best for small reptiles in small enclosures. A 4’ enclosure is best served by a 22” tube. A good reflector can help redirect the light, but a lot of dome fixtures have painted interiors which doesn’t reflect UVB. The drop off from UVB being much to high and too low is a matter of a couple inches, where as tubes will have a much gentler gradient. Problems from LOW UVB won’t necessarily be noticeable in 6 months.

UVBandUVI-spreadchart-NOdome.gif

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm#reflectors

OP, what is your basking light?
I’ve have very good luck ordering reptisun bulbs from amazon.com, never had one arrive broken and the prices are excellent. They are much better bulbs than the all living things one.

jc555

Original Poster
To answer all these questions, its unfortunate because most lighting equipment i had was all living things but not all, i had a all living things terrarium hood with a all living things bulb (Humid and warm which i will be already returning) i then had a all living things dome lamp (Can a dome lamp be bad for them too or is this one fine?) and a strong UVA basking bulb which isnt all living things which i will be returning because i thought it said UVB. And then all requisites inside the tank. As well what would you guys recommend for a wattage basking bulb? The closest reptile store in 45 minutes away and id like to get the right bulb the first time as well.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
jc555":22ox0lgz said:
To answer all these questions, its unfortunate because most lighting equipment i had was all living things but not all, i had a all living things terrarium hood with a all living things bulb (Humid and warm which i will be already returning) i then had a all living things dome lamp (Can a dome lamp be bad for them too or is this one fine?) and a strong UVA basking bulb which isnt all living things which i will be returning because i thought it said UVB. And then all requisites inside the tank. As well what would you guys recommend for a wattage basking bulb? The closest reptile store in 45 minutes away and id like to get the right bulb the first time as well.
Basking bulb is really dependent on a lot of things. Tank size, material, temp in the house, airflow around the tank, ect. They are fairly cheap, so you could get a couple and try them out or get a dimmer switch to adjust. The actual dome is fine, but i would get a different bulb. You can just buy a halogen floodlight bulb at the hardware store too. Most basking bulbs don't provide any UVB.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Taterbug":7ldkdden said:
KeyBlu422":7ldkdden said:
Opinions differ on minimum wattage and whether to have the bulb above or below a screen top. Many suggest going with the higher wattage Exo Terra desert compact uvb below screen or at least within 6-8 inches of the reptile. I have been using a 13w compact exo terra uvb desert version above screen at around 8 inches with no problem for the past 6 or so months but I will definitely update if ANYTHING happens. [...] While a compact is just fine for enclosures for I'd say up to 4 feet long, I wouldn't use one in an enclosure that is 6 or more feet long

Compact lamps aren’t a good choice, when other options are available. They have a safe spectrum, but the output area is pretty small. They are best for small reptiles in small enclosures. A 4’ enclosure is best served by a 22” tube. A good reflector can help redirect the light, but a lot of dome fixtures have painted interiors which doesn’t reflect UVB. The drop off from UVB being much to high and too low is a matter of a couple inches, where as tubes will have a much gentler gradient. Problems from LOW UVB won’t necessarily be noticeable in 6 months.

UVBandUVI-spreadchart-NOdome.gif

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm#reflectors

OP, what is your basking light?
I’ve have very good luck ordering reptisun bulbs from amazon.com, never had one arrive broken and the prices are excellent. They are much better bulbs than the all living things one.

Correction : I've actually used MVBs and compact uvb bulbs for the past years I've had him(over 5 years). I also used it on a few reptiles I had in the past for the time I had them. I don't know why I said 6 months. He doesn't have any kinks or protuding higher or lower jaw. Given where my tank is, a compact is truly my best option. But at his age, if his end is to come in a couple years, I want to absolutely provide the bestest care I can so I will likely be getting a tube uvb soon. Lastly, I said it was an option. I don't believe I said it was the best option, as I know that you must be more precise with distance away from uvb source when using a compact. And while a 22' tube would be great, I think a compact would still be fine, as it has with my dragon for the 1-2 years I've had him in his 4 foot long enclosure.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
jc555":3ghvg7fg said:

I'd say to go for at least a 50 watt halogen bulb attached to a dimmer. "Reptile made" basking bulbs are really no different from most bulbs you can pick up from a hardware store.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
KeyBlu422":2qls7xjp said:
Correction : I've actually used MVBs and compact uvb bulbs for the past years I've had him(over 5 years). I also used it on a few reptiles I had in the past for the time I had them. I don't know why I said 6 months. He doesn't have any kinks or protuding higher or lower jaw. Given where my tank is, a compact is truly my best option. But at his age, if his end is to come in a couple years, I want to absolutely provide the bestest care I can so I will likely be getting a tube uvb soon. Lastly, I said it was an option. I don't believe I said it was the best option, as I know that you must be more precise with distance away from uvb source when using a compact. And while a 22' tube would be great, I think a compact would still be fine, as it has with my dragon for the 1-2 years I've had him in his 4 foot long enclosure.

I’m not being dismissive that the compact bulbs have worked for you. They are safe bulbs and do meet the minimum needs. I’m just being honest with the OP that compacts are not a good choice, there are plenty of options in lighting... not all of them deserve to be considered. The area and strength of exposure is not very good. Bone deformities are symptoms of severe D3 or calcium deficiency. Milder deficencies may go completely unnoticed but still effect the health of the dragon... things like energy levels, mood and all sorts of unseen bodily functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom