Sudden Swollen Neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it shouldn't be anything bad, like a growth or anything since it just cropped up so
quickly after that episode. If the tissue is just inflamed, then it will take a few days, maybe
up to a week or so. A vet visit would definitely put your mind at ease if needed. It is hard
not to worry though.
Has he attempted eating since the incident occurred?

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you both so much for your input. It is indeed hard not to worry, he's my baby, I hate to see him in any discomfort. It makes sense that if the irritation caused inflammation it won't go down straight away so I will give it a couple more days and if there's no change he will be seeing the vet.
He is eating fine, drinking fine, no other issue but the swelling and it hasn't had much time to go down so I'll give it some time.

Is there anything I can give for swellings/inflammation?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I can't think of anything you can do to speed up the swelling reduction.
The calcium worms would be perfect for him since they are small & he should be able to
chew them easily also. Has his beard been normal color or darker like he is in distress?
I hope he starts to feel better & the swelling goes down soon.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, I'll pick some up today. His beard hasn't been black at all, a little on the dark side every so often but for the most part it's pure white and orange. I'll arrange the vet appointment for Wednesday or Thursday so it has some time to go down but I want him to have a check up anyway so we'll go. Thanks guys, so much and I'll keep you updated. ?

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey all,
I know I post a lot with updates etc but I can't help my worrying. I've been doing the worst thing.. Researching on the net and I'm starting to panic. I'm so afraid this swelling is not an easy fix. He is constantly head bobbing today and it seems to have not gotten any smaller. I think I might take him to the vet tomorrow to get peace of mind. I've been reading about aneurisms and all sorts and it's making me panic ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Try not to worry too much, many of us have had a dragon with a saggy beard. Sometimes there's no clear explanation, sometimes it's edema from unknown case [ sometimes related to an R.I ] but this wouldn't be an aneurism.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, I was hoping the swelling would start to go down by now! I agree, this isn't an
aneurism though, but something definitely is causing the swelling.
Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey guys,

We visited the vet today, it's not great news, they said it's an aneurism. It filled a syringe with blood. Info I was given is that it could clot and heal on it's own over time or he could have surgery to tie it off but might not make it through. I've cried already, I'd just like to know if any of you have experienced this and if you had a success story to share. What is the likelyhood of Rocky being okay?

Vet gave 0.15ml Loxicom once every other day and
0.15ml Marbocyl 1%

Emma

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Emma,

Wow, that is really too bad! I never would have thought it would have been an aneurism
so quickly. Did he say that anything being stuck in his throat could have caused that at all?
I am so sorry! It is very possible that it will go down on its own & be reabsorbed in time.
Be sure to give him foods that are smaller so he can chew them better.
Let us know how he is doing.
One of the mods here on the board recently learned that her boy actually reabsorbed his
aneurism that he had in his belly for quite awhile! It just went down & is completely gone.
She was shocked & so was the vet, it was rather unbelievable actually! She thought surely
he wouldn't be with her much longer but he confounded us all. :D
I hope the meds help him out some. How is he doing?

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The vet said that it could have been worse news but I know it's not good. He is having calci worms and wax worms for now and he is eating just fine, no change there.

So there is every reason to hope for a good outcome?

The vet said that maybe food could have nipped the vein going down also there is risky surgery but I have to take him back in two weeks.
When he removed some of the blood from it, it went down a bit and he said it was already filling back up but I've felt it since and it's a bit less firm, would you say that's a good sign?

As for his vivarium, he has upper levels in there, should I remove anything high up to take away the risk of falling etc?

Also, would those meds listed help at all, with bringing down the swelling?

Emma

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is there any way I can speak to that mod about this? Maybe they can help in some way. Or is there a thread I can read?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Emma,

I did send a message to Deb, the moderator whose precious boy had an aneurism that has
since then completely absorbed & he seems to be doing terrific right now.
I would try to keep everything safe to where he can't fall from a distance, absolutely. The
less jostling the better just to be on the safe side. I know that she was very careful about
his climbing, etc when he had the aneurism.
I think it is a good sign that it isn't as firm as before. At least he is eating so just keep him
comfortable & happy. I am pulling for him & hope he can overcome this. Keep him eating
also, so he can get his nutrition. At least he isn't having any trouble on that end.

Tracie

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi Ellen, I'm Deb. My Gabriel, who's 7 years old had a huge aneurysm in his belly for over 2 years. It's now gone. My vet said there was nothing she could do, I checked with 2 other vets and they said the same thing because of where it was along his belly. Thing got huge thought I'd lose him any day and then about 2 months ago, I couldn't feel it anymore. My vet said he could absorb it and that's what he did. If they had tried to remove it because of where it was, it would have killed him. I weighed him, when he had the aneurysm, he was almost 600 g. He's now 520 g and no sign of it. I'm not sure about it being in his neck, what can be done. But if you want good advice, contact the Reptile Doctor, he's on Facebook he's a really good vet in Australia.

I wish the best for your little guy, I hope he absorbs his, too.

I'll be keeping an eye on your post. I'm just glad your little one is eating well.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you both. Deb, your boy's story makes me feel hopeful, I just worry because Rocky is big on head bobbing, he does it almost constantly and also, he rarely eats any greens, should I try blending all the good stuff and feed with a syringe? He happily drinks water from one but I've not tried it with food before.
I'm going to remove his large log and create some type of ladder or safe wide walkway to ensure no falling. He still seems his usual, happy self, wants to come out. I just want to do everything I can to help. Is there anything you did that I should be doing? Would critical care formula help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom