Orange Urate

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hmm. I think she definitely has eggs. As for the medications you should PM someone like Drache613, EllenD, CooperDragon, or AHBD. I Do know that EllenD is very knowledgeable on reptile medicine so you should definitely PM her.

But what really confounds me is how did she get pollen in her poop??

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah that I have no idea about, my only possible guess could be that when I was giving her a bath and draining the water, she pooped and the pollen from the flowers above the sink somehow got onto it.

I actually just messaged EllenD about it not too long ago.

I got more eco earth for her lay bin and put one block in, so im about to put her in so she stops driving me crazy with her tile scratching.
If only I could put the eco earth in her enclosure, it would make my life so much easier, but then I'd probably be cleaning her 24/7.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well shes laying eggs, she has about 8 eggs in total now. I was not expecting her to lay so soon and this definitely took me by surprise.

EDIT - She now has about 14 eggs, i looked at three of the first ones she laid with a flash light two definitely look infertile i think (All yellow coloring is infertile right?) but one has a slight red ring inside of it and I have no idea what that is.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
26 nice eggs, and then 1 egg came out a bit deflated. Looking at some eggs they had a more noticable "red ring" inside. I have no idea what that is and if they are somehow fertile I'm going to be questioning how this is even possible.

Currently Venus is covering the spot where she laid them up in eco earth. I touched her underbelly and it feels like nothing is even there. She still looks like a little chubby beardie though.

EDIT- So I turned on my incubator, currently its sitting at about 80-81*F in there and 70% humidity. Just in case I put the eggs in a nice little tub with vermiculite and put them in. I dont want to get rid of these eggs if they are in fact fertile by some odd chance, my mom is actually happy that they may be fertile which is odd because I've told her before how much they cost to feed.
Luckily I have just one spot for two empty 20 gallons, and have some money saved away for lighting and heating, and food. Im glad I have a ton of CHE's sitting around because thats the coldest portion of my room.

I really don't know yet if they are or not, and if they are im going to be question what I know. I suppose I wont truly know for a while.

I think Im not going to give Venus the meds, she's a bit stressed out right now and lost nearly 100 grams. Rather than the 502-505 she got at the vet she is now only 410 grams.

89510-3411880937.jpg
89510-8974866429.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
89510-9354206225.jpg
89510-8465207405.jpg
Decided to check the eggs and candle a few, here are two of them from the clutch.
The one that was pretty deflated ended up filling in a bit. Its a lot smaller than the others so I separated it from the healthy more fertile looking ones.

I wonder what the vet will say when we call him tomorrow.

I've already started looking around a bit for homes if they do turn out to be fertile, and from what I've been seeing they look like they are.
If they are fertile they should hatch between May 10th and June 9th. Somewhere around there. So that gives us a fair amount of time to prepare, not really enough but some time at least.

I counted about 15 possible fertile eggs, theres about 9 that I can't see very well and then of course the 3 other eggs who may not be very good.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
That is SUPER weird!! :shock: :shock: Those look exactly like fertile eggs! :shock: Did Venus or Saturn ever escape and get into one of their tanks? Do you ever let them out together? I Don't believe that beardies can do parthenogenesis. Right?

Wow. That really boggles my brain. :| :? At least she got them out and no egg binding so far. But those pics of the eggs are all fertile egg signs :? (Well if they are fertile you can prove out some of her hets after all). :? I'm gonna do a bit of research to see if beardies can indeed do parthenogenesis after all. :study:

Keep us posted on her and the eggs.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
VenusAndSaturn":uwh9pjw1 said:

This one definitely looks fertile. :? :shock:

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah it's really weird, they've never escaped their enclosures or got into each others enclosures. I sometimes let them out together but I'm always watching them and I've never seen them mate. Most of the time when their out it's during the night and their sleeping on my bed, thats pretty much the only time I can have all three beardies out beside me.

I have no idea if this is a case of parthenogenesis or not, I wasn't aware that it was even possible for beardies to do.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
That is really strange. I know whiptail lizards and anacondas are capable of doing so, But beardies? I Don't think so. Either that or you have a super special beardie and this is a breakthrough in science. :shock: That's too weird. Are any of the eggs white looking?

These are pictures of fertile bearded dragon eggs that I found on google, These pictures were when they had just been laid, and the eggs hatched later on. :? View media item 60867 View media item 61058 Both had the red circle which indicates a growing embryo. Just like yours have. :shock:
This could possibly be parthenogenesis after all. :? Maybe they did mate at six months old and then store the sperm later. That is starting to sound more plausible then parthenogenesis. :| :? :study:

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
89510-9496438819.jpg
89510-5028018267.jpg
89510-6992514804.jpg

Heres the eggs, the top picture is the one that im sure are entirely fertile, the middle picture has ones that I can't quite make out along with 3 other fertile eggs, and then the last picture is my possible problem egg container. The two larger ones may be fine, but the one that is a bit away from the others is what Im somewhat worried about. It's a lot smaller and mostly entirely yellow inside. When laid it was deflated and only filled in more once it got proper humidity.
Im guessing thats probably a infertile egg but just in case I'll give it a week or two.

Yeah im guessing they just mated at a young age and she just stored the sperm up until now.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
As Strange and unheard of as this is, Those are definitely fertile looking. :shock: You should probably be expecting baby beardies soon and I Hope they come out healthy. :)

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I hope they come out healthy as well. Temps and humidity seem to be pretty stable so far.

EDIT- My mom called the vet, he was surprised with the number of eggs she had and said it's very likely that they mated when they were young and then she held the sperm up until now. He said that they can hold onto it for a very long time.
I guess I have another thing against cohabitation now.

He said that she'd probably be fine just make sure to give her lots of calcium and food and let her rest. He also said that the antibiotics were fine to give and wouldn't hurt her at all but I'm still iffy on it.

I've noticed the fat pads on her head are sunken in just a bit, her colors are quite dark and most of the time she has her eyes closed and is overall a bit lethargic, which is worrying.
She isn't black bearding so thats good.

I need to recover her enclosure again as the paper fell down when I was cleaning my room, currently she's bobbing her head slowly at saturn across the room. I'm about to put the cover back over the glass.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Your welcome, If you need another one, This is a old topic that's also pretty informative viewtopic.php?f=4&t=166108 I'm pretty sure that the calcium syrup is ok. Do make sure she has a lot of calcium.

I'm pretty sure the lethargy is due to the stress of egg laying.

Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom