Swollen arm, Puffy eyes, Crusty mouth. Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Lately Cisco's arm has been a little swollen looking, Her eyes have also been swollen looking as well. and The right side of her mouth has been crusting up a lot.

I Have been gently scrubbing the crusty mouth with a soft toothbrush for about two weeks. I Scrub it all off only to find that it had came back within a day. Could it be mouth rot? How Could I treat it?

The arm and eyes have been swollen looking for about a week. Could it be gout? How could I treat those?

She just came out of a semi-hibernation in January. She has been shedding. and Has been a bit more lethargic and always tries to sleep. Her UVB is a exo terra repti-glo 10.0 T8 bulb, Her basking spot is about 104F, Her cool end is around 78F, Her warm end is around 88F. Her substrate is tile. She is 19" and weighs 1 lb 2.1 oz. The tank is soon to be upgraded to a 4ftx19"X18".

Here's the arm: View media item 61098 View media item 60807 View media item 60498 View media item 60705
The eyes: View media item 60808 View media item 60917 View media item 60362
The Mouth: View media item 60899 View media item 60734 View media item 60683 View media item 60544
Thank you in advance! :D

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Ok, Thank you! :D I will take getting ready for a shed over gout any day. But still what about the mouth? It has been like that for about 3+ weeks. and When it scrubs off, it comes back in a day. Yesterday I forgot to mention that that side of the mouth was bleeding yesterday. Not very bad, but it did seem to irritate her So I gently wiped the blood off with a damp cloth. Is there any ways to treat that? The crusty mouth has been there ever since her last shed.

Thanks again!

-HippieLizards.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that most of that looks shed related. :) But can you post pics of both her front legs in the same picture from the front ? For her mouth just use a dab of raw honey, then be sure there are no loose bugs in the tank.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I agree, the legs/feet and the eyes are most likely swollen because she's getting ready to shed them, so no worries there I don't think, however it's always a good idea to take a good long look at them and compare them to the other legs/feet, so as AHBD asked, posting some photos of her other legs for comparison is a very good idea.

As far as her mouth goes, it's not "crust", but rather a scab. She's got an area on her mouth that was somehow injured, and the "crusty" stuff is actually a scab/skin regrowing. So it will take some time for it to heal, and applying the Raw, Unpasteurized Honey (not regular honey) to it once a day will keep it from getting infected and speed-up the healing process...That being said, don't keep scrubbing the scab off like you have been, as it needs to heal. I totally understand why you were scrubbing it off, thinking it was just some kind of crusty stuff or dead skin that needed to come off, so no worries there, just from now on stop scrubbing at it, apply the Raw, Unpasteurized Honey once a day, and it should heal-up just fine pretty quickly.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ok, Thank you! :) I have stopped scrubbing the mouth and I will see If I have any raw unpasteurized honey.

Another question: I think that Thor has a sperm plug. How should I treat it? I'm not 100% sure it is. It could be a hemipene, but it looks like a sperm plug to me. View media item 60942 View media item 60979 I thought It would be smart to confirm it's a sperm plug before I treat it. I Don't know how to treat sperm plugs but I do know how to treat prolapsed hemipenes. and I'm pretty sure they're treated differently. There's a bit of dirt on it because he was crawling around outside in the sun.

-HippieLizards.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ok. I'll try that. Thanks!

EDIT: I Just gave Thor a bath I think I got it all out.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Here's the pictures of her limbs. Sorry if they're blurry. View media item 60484 View media item 61108 She has been very active and normal today.

Also, today Daisy dodged a bullet. She nearly ate a lightning bug that was flying near her. Thankfully I noticed it was a lightning bug and pulled her away before she grabbed it. She is fine right now. But she was lunging at it. :shock:

-HippieLizards.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great you got the sperm plug out! LOL It happens.
Wow, I'm glad she wasn't able to ingest the fire fly, good grief!
How is she doing today? Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Her legs look O.K., she's a chunky girl. They often look puffier when shedding, part optical illusion and partly the skin coming up + separating from the body.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ok, Good. :) Both daisy and Cisco are doing good. Thor has been a bit more lethargic lately though. :( Could it be from the sperm plug? He did a huge poop yesterday. I Think the sperm plug had blocked up his bowels because he barely pooped at all when he had it. and Yes, Cisco is a bit chunky. So I'm cutting back on the supers.

Also Today is my one year anniversary with Cisco!! :blob5: :D She's my first dragon so it's also been one whole year with keeping reptiles! :blob5: I'll do a thread all about Cisco, Thor, Daisy, and Gizmo. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=241176

I'll do more updates about all of them on that thread soon.

-HippieLizards.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Thor, he could have gotten plugged up from the sperm plug possibly! At least you
finally got it cleared for him. Hopefully he will perk up soon & have more energy.
That's great both Daisy & Cisco are doing well & eating. A full year with Cisco, that is
cool, congratulations! LOL
I will have to check out your thread soon, too.

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yeah, Once I started noticing it in him (I could feel it in his vent) he would not poop at all, He would strain a lot but nothing would come out. Thankfully today he has been super good. He did a big poop and he was actually running like a normal beardie!! :blob5: :D His MBD has not slowed him down at all. and Gizmo has gained 3 grams! I know that's not a lot, but for a 3-4 month old gecko, That's great. :D

More updates coming soon!

-HippieLizards.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great to hear Thor finally got it all passed through, poor guy! At least his metabolic bone
issues are not keeping him down & he is in good spirits too. I hope he makes a full recovery
for you, bless him.
That is terrific Gizmo is doing well also & gaining weight. Geckos are so neat. :D
I posted on your other thread, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom