Sick beardie. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocbelle79

I have a 6month old beardie. This morning she wasn’t moving. Normally she darts for her morning meal worms but today she didn’t. I went to move her and she stiffened up on me. She threw her legs back and started wiggling like she was going to pop but her legs were twitching. Definitely abnormal for her to do. She dragged herself across the tank and I picked her up. She seemed ok but she was cold. I went to give her a warm bath (swimming is her favorite) but she just floated. She puffed up (rounded, not flat)about 3 times her norm and I took her out of the bath. I put her back in the tank and she dragged herself to the corner where she’s been for about 8 hours now, she hasn’t moved. She’s breathing but she’s lethargic. I don’t know what to do or what could be wrong. She was absolutely fine last night and I have not made any changes

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your girl is not doing well!
That behavior is concerning. Can you review what your tank setup is, such as the type/brand
of UVB light, supplementation type & frequency as well as foods offered, etc. If you can, post
a picture of her & the tank setup so we can see how everything is placed.
She is unable to support herself on all four limbs & climb right now? Is her beard black?
I would try to get her to the vet for analysis. It is a possibility that she was having seizures from
hypocalcemia which is a major sign of metabolic bone disease.

Tracie

Ocbelle79

Original Poster
I’m not sure how to upload pics. I have a 100 watt Infared basking bulb, 150 watt heat bulb and a 100 watt night time heat bulb. I have a 60 gallon tank with 2 beardies. I also use a heating pad to keep the tank warm, had problems keeping it at the right temp without it. I’m using a calcium supplement to dust crickets once a week and I also give them giant mealworms. They aren’t too big on fresh greens. They will only eat kale once a week and have refused anything else that’s been offered.

Mandysmum

Hi,

You didn’t mention a UV bulb...do you have one and if so what brand, type etc?
The infrared light is not a good idea...you just want a bright white basking lamp. If you could post a pic of your lighting set up that would be great.
Also dusting with calcium once a week is not sufficient, lightly dusting one feed a day 5 times a week and using a vitamin supplement the other 2 days a week is generally recommended. How often are you giving live feeds? I would assume at 6 months old the giant mealworms are far too large for your bd. Mealworms are not a good staple feeder, you would be better off with calciworms (bsfl) or roaches.
It would also be advisable to remove the loose substrate to prevent impaction are they fed inside the tank?
Serious issues can arise when housing dragons together, you should think about separating them asap.

Ocbelle79

Original Poster
My beardies are extremely bonded, which is odd, I know. I have ground walnut in there right now. It was suggested by the reptile people I’ve been learning from but I do believe you are correct. It may be what has caused the problem. She is still alive but very lethargic and her beard is black. I’ve removed her from the tank, forced her mouth open and have cleared her mouth, which did have particle in it. She perked up and started drinking some water. I have her in a smaller tank on a terry cloth towel and heating elements to help warm her up. I’m going to have to get her into the vet tomorrow. Her “sister” is not happy and semi freaking out that she is alone. My heart is breaking. I wish I never listened to them and kept the turf like I was using before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom