Orange Urate

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Same here, Although you are very lucky to have TWO reptile vets near you. My beardies vet is an exotics vet (only one near me). But the head vet is experienced and I trust him, The other vet, not so much. But the head vet actually keeps beardies and has been treating them for years. :)

How has her poop been? Has she pooped at all today? Keep us posted.

-HippieLizards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She has not pooped today, but tomorrow when I give her another bath she probably will.

I put a water bowl into her enclosure so she has water 24/7, and currently she is splashing around in it and drinking it. I think she's become obsessed with the bowl... I'll probably have to get a larger one for her to soak in because she seems to want to but since its so small she can't.

Maybe after vet bills, enclosure costs and everything I'll get some large water bowls for her and the other two. I think Neptune may be able to be trained to drink from a bowl, Saturn may be a bit stubborn but when I was cleaning his enclosure with some water earlier, just whipping things down he did try to have a nice little drink.

My mom is going to call the vets sometime tomorrow.

89510-1368229702.jpg
89510-2251255014.jpg
89510-5781198228.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
You seem to be doing everything good. :D You can use a small rubbermaid bin to be a water dish. Easy to clean, and inexpensive. You don't need to get a commercial beardie water dish as those are harder to clean and harbor more bacteria.

Saturn is very pretty. :)

-HippieLizards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks, I'm sure he thinks he's very pretty as well.

Yeah I probably may end up just using a container since it would be easier and inexpensive, a part of me likes the looks of rock themed water bowls but another part just wants to go to the easy and clean way. And If I plan to end up adding LED lights on top of the middle portion to make the beardies enclosures brighter I have a feeling I'm not just going to have my leopard geckos water dish get algae.

I swear every morning I'll clean it, refill it with a regular water bottle, put it in. And then leave it all day long until night where I go and feed her, and there will be algae in it. With my tegu and BP I never get algae in their bowls, with my BTS I occasionally do but not as bad as my leopard geckos bowl.
It's the same type of bowl Venus has in her enclosure, they were part of two separate waterfalls but the pump and everything was a bit too short so it didnt reach down fully so now I just use them as water bowls or sometimes food bowls.
Very overpriced water/food bowls...

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
I Know, I Used to have a nice rock looking bowl for Cisco and Daisy's cages and I scrubbed it, replaced the water every day, and always cleaned it daily. But it always had algae. Plus my dragons never drank from it and only pooped in it. So Now I just spray my dragons or give them a bath for them to drink in. I got rid of the bowls, and it's SO much easier now.

-HippieLizards.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
HippieLizards":1q8ksjs3 said:
I Know, I Used to have a nice rock looking bowl for Cisco and Daisy's cages and I scrubbed it, replaced the water every day, and always cleaned it daily. But it always had algae. Plus my dragons never drank from it and only pooped in it. So Now I just spray my dragons or give them a bath for them to drink in. I got rid of the bowls, and it's SO much easier now.

-HippieLizards.

Don't need a water dish for a bearded dragon.

At best most will only use the water dish as latrine (dragons are smart, they soon discover the poo doesn't stink as much if it under the water), or they will just sit in and cool off. Very few beardies will actually drink from a pond of standing water.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
kingofnobbys":2hle8tpp said:
HippieLizards":2hle8tpp said:

-HippieLizards.

Don't need a water dish for a bearded dragon.

At best most will only use the water dish as latrine (dragons are smart, they soon discover the poo doesn't stink as much if it under the water), or they will just sit in and cool off. Very few beardies will actually drink from a pond of standing water.
Yep. Only saw one of my dragons drinking from it once. Mainly was a toilet. Your much better off just spraying them or giving them a bath in which you flick your finger in the water, Making the dragons see the moving water, Triggering a drinking response. That is SO much easier than a water bowl.

Did she poop today?

-HippieLizards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Not yet but I'm giving her a bath in a few minutes, I have a feeling her love of water is going to keep me on my toes with what she did to the cool side. Maybe I should get another piece of tile for that side of the tank.

Currently she is digging in her hide, she'll stop for a minute, then continue for about five minutes, before stopping again and then repeating.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay just gave the beardies a bath (Separately of course), Saturn could care less about the water, Neptune actually drank from the bath... she went to the bathroom and then proceeded to try and eat it before going after something else that looked "edible" to her.

And then I gave Venus a bath, she drank some water for a bit before going to the bathroom, no poop but there was urate.
89510-8875323953.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Hmm. That is strange. I have never seen that pink-ish orange color urate. Plus only urate for two days. That Is very strange.

When you said add another piece of tile to the tank what did that mean? From one of your recent pics it looked like she was drinking water out of mud. Does her cage have a dirt side? Sorry, I'm just a lil bit confused. :?

-HippieLizards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah its a bit odd that she's only had urates so far, she did eat on Friday for sure, had a nice meal of mealworms, superworms and crickets with a big salad... though she was focused on the insects and fruit rather than the leafy greens. Hasn't ate her salad yet today, shes currently now running back and forth on her warm side.

None of my beardies has a dirt area, Neptune used to have one but I ended up taking it out as I was having trouble with crickets and she was scared to death of it for the most part. She's an odd beardie.
What I meant was since she's getting water everywhere all over the paper towels, causing me to change it more than once a day I think it may be best If its a more solid substrate on the cool side.

Also update on the vet situation, by the time my mom was going to call It was already too late, I guess the vets offices are closed today. Hopefully we can get her in soon though.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Oh, Ok. Lol. I Had the same problem too. Daisy is also an odd beardie. But hey, It's just part of their charm. :D

For the greens problem, Try putting the insects in their salad. It always worked for me because I have three picky eaters who believe they're too cool for greens and that they should only eat insects. :roll: Another technique to eating greens is stop all insect feeding's for a week and only offer greens. They should eventually get hungry enough to eat greens.

BTW on the mealworms, How often do you feed them? I Hope you do know they're much harder to digest because they're exoskeletons are full of chitin which is very hard for beardies to digest, Which could ultimately lead to impaction. Which may be why she is pooping out only urates. They're much better off as a rare treat.

-HippieLizards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She doesn't get treats too often, she's a bit of a fatty because of her diet she had when she was younger.

I do know that mealworms are pretty hard to digest, which is why I tend to only give 10 max maybe once a week or once every other week for her especially. My adult male and my yearling female get them a bit more often than her as they are far more in better health. Weight wise at least.

My adult male usually gets 10 mealworms every meal for the most part, which he is fed twice a week for insects. He doesn't just get that of course, he also gets about 10 crickets and 5 BSFL.
Most of the time I'll do two weeks of mealworms added in with his regular meals and then the next two weeks will be no mealworms or any treats like that at all to let his digestive system rest a bit.

My yearling gets the same amount, however she eats them a bit more often than the other two. Like every other day to every two days. For her I sometimes do one month with mealworms added into her diet and then the next month will be without mealworms or any treats for the most part. Her main diet is generally crickets and BSFL.

I doubt she's impacted though.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Oh, Ok. I Just wanted to make sure you knew that.

You seem to be feeding your beardies well. :) Do you feed them dubia roaches? I Feed mine dubias mainly, Supers once a week, and hornworms occasionally (due to the high price on them). Then sometimes I Treat them with butter worms or wax worms. I Wanted to try BSFL or silkworms, but I can't find any place that sells them. :|

-HippieLizards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I do occasionally, mostly when a female is close to dying or I have too many males. My colony has a lot of nymphs but has no dubia roaches to feed off really.
I believe in the colony theres around 4 males and 45 females.

If the colony was more established then I would be feeding them mainly.

For BSFL I get mine off dubiaroaches.com, they have pretty cheap prices. I generally get a 2,000 count each time so it lasts me.

Venus is currently digging in her hide again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom