COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Status
Not open for further replies.

babybearded07

Original Poster
AHBD":2yeyn1e2 said:
Poor little guy, can you post pics of him ? I agree with Cooperdragon to keep him off the meds. for now. I think the vet is not that reliable for treating reptiles actually. You can order toltrazuril from this site , along with dosing info. It usually works in 1-2 doses.
http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=246

I will look into purchasing that medication! just gonna wait it out maybe a week and see if his appetite kicks back in, im hoping its because he might be going into shed. I just feel like hes been so lazy and seems to stay in his hide alot.. weird -.- I dont know how to post photos on here! haha but ill look it up quickly and post a photo

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His actions may be just from not feeling well over all, possibly from the meds, possibly from shedding, possibly the parasites. He was doing well before the meds. though so I think the sulfa drugs did cause some loss of appetite to a degree. He still looks healthy + alert though so hopefully his appetite will pick up again soon. :)

babybearded07

Original Poster
AHBD":6ke5sujt said:
His actions may be just from not feeling well over all, possibly from the meds, possibly from shedding, possibly the parasites. He was doing well before the meds. though so I think the sulfa drugs did cause some loss of appetite to a degree. He still looks healthy + alert though so hopefully his appetite will pick up again soon. :)

Thanks for the positive feedback. He’s been off the sulfa for like 3 weeks now, and he was fine up until this week.. that’s what concerns me. Oh well I’m sure he will be fine soon :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree he looks pretty good based on those photos. No black beard etc. I'd just keep offering plenty of water for him to take if he wants it and perhaps try some probiotics and see if that helps him feel better.

babybearded07

Original Poster
CooperDragon":d3atqcb9 said:
I agree he looks pretty good based on those photos. No black beard etc. I'd just keep offering plenty of water for him to take if he wants it and perhaps try some probiotics and see if that helps him feel better.

I’ve been giving him daily baths and syringe feeding him water because he never drinks from his water dish. Also been spoon feeding him soy yogurt he seems to love the vanilla flavour lol :) still not eating today though - got home from work and he was in his hide all day, I’m worried!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may take some time for him to start feeling better. There isn't much else to do for now. I would check the vanilla yogurt for sugar content as it's not so good to offer them a ton of sugars. A little now & then is OK though.

babybearded07

Original Poster
Got my fecal results with the actual organisms found and these were them, they were labelled as “numerous” and “many”

Oxyurid eggs
Isospora amphibiluri oocysts
Retortamonas sp cyst
Blastocytis sp

Has anyone got a clue whether or not these should be treated? He hasn’t been eating like normal, he eats maybe 2 horn worms a day and I have to syringe feed him water.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Have you gotten any of the toltrazuril ? If not, go ahead + get some and dose him for 2-3 days, the instructions will be on the bottle. For pinworms Panacur is usually prescribed and is not a very harsh drug but you might wait until you dose him for the coccidia first. The other 2 are commonly found in many reptiles and may or may not need any further treatment.

How big are the hornworms that he eats ?

babybearded07

Original Poster
AHBD":12u24juz said:
Have you gotten any of the toltrazuril ? If not, go ahead + get some and dose him for 2-3 days, the instructions will be on the bottle. For pinworms Panacur is usually prescribed and is not a very harsh drug but you might wait until you dose him for the coccidia first. The other 2 are commonly found in many reptiles and may or may not need any further treatment.

How big are the hornworms that he eats ?

hornworms are medium size, not too large not too small. maybe about an inch long. this morning he ate about 20 crickets.. maybe his appetite is getting back up? Do you still think its worth treating him? Im sure the vet wouldnt lie about his fecal results.. i just dont know if its worth treating if all reptiles have these parasites anyways.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I didn't mean that the vet may be fabricating, but some of the parasites mentioned may not be in high numbers where other may be. You can get the Panacur [ for pinworms + other parasites ] here as well:

http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=113
The same place to get toltrazuril.

It's great that he had 20 crickets this morning, that's definitely a good sign. :) You can always order the meds. if you feel the need to treat him. Reptiles do carry a lot of different bacteria + pathogens.

babybearded07

Original Poster
AHBD":1sbr53qq said:
I didn't mean that the vet may be fabricating, but some of the parasites mentioned may not be in high numbers where other may be. You can get the Panacur [ for pinworms + other parasites ] here as well:

http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=113
The same place to get toltrazuril.

It's great that he had 20 crickets this morning, that's definitely a good sign. :) You can always order the meds. if you feel the need to treat him. Reptiles do carry a lot of different bacteria + pathogens.

Thanks :) do you think I should use panacur or the toltrazuril? Based on what was found in his fecal, I’ll purchase both but which one should I use first? I don’t think coccidia was in his second fecal? I’m not sure because they are all in the scientific names. I believe pinworms was on of them

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I usually recommend treating the ailment that has the most or the highest count if it is
affecting the health & well being of your dragon. If he seems to be doing fine even with
a moderate level present, you can treat naturally with Mint & basil to help with parasites.
If you are going to treat the coccidian I would definitely go with Toltrazuril, it is much less
harsh than any sulfa based medication such as the Sulfa is.

Traciet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom