Question on vivarium background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedoraht

Hello,
I recently built my own enclosure for my bearded dragon, Andre, since he outgrew his old one.
I decided to make the background out of Great Stuff with silicone and coco fiber on the surface.
It's working very well for the most part, aside from one thing.
You see, Andre loves to climb the background of his enclosure, which is mostly harmless since his basking light is outside the enclosure, but whenever he decides to climb around, he scratches a bunch of the coco fiber off of the background. Over time, this has done some good damage to his favorite climbing spots, which I painted over with acrylic based paint to hide any foam he exposed. The worst part is that the coco fiber gets all over the enclosure, and he likes to eat random stuff lying around the enclosure, si I have to constantly vacuum it up. Would anyone recommend some type of protective coating or something to stop with all the mess?
If you need pictures I can provide them
Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's the downside of the loose background. Foam backgrounds tend to get shredded after a bit too. You might be able to coat it with polyurethane or similar but ultimately you might be best off with a solid background or a photo background.

Hedoraht

Original Poster
OK, I've opted to remove the background, is there any particular method to doing that, aside from sleep slicing it up with a knife?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What kind of adhesive is it connected with? Pulling/scraping at it might be the best bet. I'd worry about using a solvent or heat on it for fear that it would cause harmful gas or residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom