Rescuing a young male bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

browndm87

I am getting a young male bearded dragon in the next week or so from a friend that is taking him out of a bad situation. She thinks he is about 6 or 7 months old. I do have a female that is the same age, but i want to see if anyone has advice on making the transition to his new home with me as smooth as possible. Such as when would be best to try and handle him and also best way to feed him? She said he is with another male in the same tank and he get aggressive when it comes to food. Will that go away with time and being in his own tank? Also any advice on introducing my female to him.

Thank you in advance.

browndm87

Original Poster
He will have his own tank, and I will definitely keep him out of sight of my girl. any recommendations on not having my girl get jealous, while i have him out?

Buddy04

I just got a 9 month old bearded dragon. I'm just curious how long it will take for him to get acclimated to his new home? And he keeps running into the tank. I just put him to bed. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I'm so glad you're rescuing this poor beardie! :blob5: All three of my beardies are rescues. I am currently rehabilitating my male beardie who was severly neglected (stuck in a 20-30 gal tank with three other beardies without heat or uvb, just sand). I hope you too will be able to rehab your beardie. But I want to give you some tips (or just some things to consider):

-You're going to spend A LOT of money on vet bills. I Mean A LOT.

-If you have a seriously ill beardie, I recommend hourly checks on him.

-You need to first find a good vet that specializes in reptiles. A regular vet can give bad advice due to unfamiliarity with reptiles.

-Always give them the proper heat and uvb.

-Since you have another dragon, You MUST do a quarantine period of about a month or two.

To be honest, Rescuing is HARD. Very Hard and Expensive. But it also can be very rewarding. My Thor went from half dead to very healthy since last November (when I got him). He still is a little bit on the unhealthy side and he is crippled.

Could you post some pics of him+his setup? https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ What are you going to feed him? What will his substrate be? and By introducing him to your female, Do you mean by breeding? or just by letting your female know you have another dragon? Do you feed him calcium? What are his lights? What brand is his UVB light? Is it a Coil or a Tube? Is it T8 or T5?
and Is his Heat lamp a Colored one or not? (Colored bulbs are bad for beardies).

I hope he does well with you! :blob5: :D

-HippieLizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom