Tank setup questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethre

So I'm new to bearded dragons and I'm not familiar with how the lighting should be, some people are saying I should get a 18" Reptisun 10.0 T5 lamp and some say to just use bulbs that fit in regular fixtures. Wondering what is fact and what is myth.

My beardy only seems to be about 4 weeks old, just got him. Currently have a regular basking bulb and UVB bulb for his cage that came with the kit setup. Someone was saying the T5 would be way to much UVB for a little guy like him. Do you think thats true?

I'm including a picture of how I currently have his tank setup so I can get information on what is needed and whats okay. I really love Mozzie, the beardy, and am just trying to get him set up so he's as comfortable as possible.

https://imgur.com/WlfTZul (Picture of tank)

https://imgur.com/lND2uPQ (picture of Mozzie)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello and Welcome to BD.org and the wonderful world of dragons! :)

You should definately get a reptisun 10.0 florescent tube bulb. T5 is fine for any age and those two things you heard are a total myth. Mozzie is adorable! :blob5: Although he does look a little dehydrated and you should give him a bit more water.

His setup looks fine. What do you feed him? As baby beardies need insect feeding’s three times a day until they are juveniles. Dubia roaches and crickets are great for them, and You should not feed them any worms until they are about a year old. and Feeding them greens is just an added bonus until they're juveniles to adults, Then you should feed them more greens and have only one insect feeding. and What is his Temps? (basking spot, warm end, cool end).

I Hope you enjoy your new pal for many years to come. :D

-HippieLizards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Word of advice Pet-store employees are dead wrong 99% of the time in a chain pet-store. If your lucky you may have that one guy/girl that has actual knowledge. Which is rare, I've lived in this one area for quite some time and only a few months ago did pet-smart finally get a employee that
actually knew about proper care and lighting.

1. You do need a T5 tube light, the ones in the regular fixtures barely give off any UVB.
2. A T5 is perfect for him, and whoever said that is a a straight up lair who definitely does not understand UVB lighting.
By the way I have kept my juvenile underneath a 46" T5 HO Reptisun 10.0 bulb going across her tank and another tank when she was smaller. Only had screen over the basking area and she did perfectly fine with the UVB so close. Which was only about 10-12 inches away from the bottom of the tank.

The UVB light you have now is most likely not giving off any UVB light at all because of how weak coil/compacts are and screen blocks out 40-50% of all UVB.

Id go for a 34" Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB Tube light with a fitting reflective fixture. You can get this on amazon for a cheap price.
The reason I say 34" rather than 22" is when you upgrade to the preferred minimum size which is 75 gallons (48"x18"x20") or 120 gallons (4x2x2) you wont have to upgrade the fixture as it will be enough somewhat.

You'll want to mount it right over the basking spot behind or in front of the basking bulb.
The bulb I recommended should be replaced every 6-12 months.

He looks like a healthy little beardie, I do agree he does look just a bit dehydrated but not too much. You can drip water on his nose for hydration, also make sure you get a new thermometer. Preferably a temp gun as it is the most accurate, if not that then a digital thermometer with a probe. You can get this on amazon.

Basking temps should be 100-110, no lower and no higher.
Warm side (area around the direct basking spot) 88-95.
Cool side 70-85.
Night time temps no lower than 65.
If it drops below this then you need a CHE or ceramic heat emitter which produces no light and only heat. Which by the way beardies can see in color so those red/blue/purple/green lights can not be used during the day or at night.

Make sure you have two supplements to dust his bugs with. One a calcium without d3 and the other a multivitmin. I prefer the Repti-cal brand.
Calcium needs to be dusted 5x a week on at least one meal a day, and multivitmin 2x a week on at least one meal a day.

You need to be feeding him 3x a day, 10-20 healthy staple insects each feeding.
Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-nutrition-data.php#veg
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Sethre

Original Poster
Thanks for responding so fast! The bulb is a t10 bulb if that makes a difference. Will it be fine for a couple days while i get a t5?

Also how do I 'give him water'? I have a water bowl in there right now and i gave him a bath yesterday. Anything else i should do? Im going to get a misting bottle as well.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
VenusAndSaturn":yniptaf0 said:
Word of advice Pet-store employees are dead wrong 99% of the time in a chain pet-store. If your lucky you may have that one guy/girl that has actual knowledge. Which is rare, I've lived in this one area for quite some time and only a few months ago did pet-smart finally get a employee that
actually knew about proper care and lighting.

1. You do need a T5 tube light, the ones in the regular fixtures barely give off any UVB.
2. A T5 is perfect for him, and whoever said that is a a straight up lair who definitely does not understand UVB lighting.
By the way I have kept my juvenile underneath a 46" T5 HO Reptisun 10.0 bulb going across her tank and another tank when she was smaller. Only had screen over the basking area and she did perfectly fine with the UVB so close. Which was only about 10-12 inches away from the bottom of the tank.

The UVB light you have now is most likely not giving off any UVB light at all because of how weak coil/compacts are and screen blocks out 40-50% of all UVB.

Id go for a 34" Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB Tube light with a fitting reflective fixture. You can get this on amazon for a cheap price.
The reason I say 34" rather than 22" is when you upgrade to the preferred minimum size which is 75 gallons (48"x18"x20") or 120 gallons (4x2x2) you wont have to upgrade the fixture as it will be enough somewhat.

You'll want to mount it right over the basking spot behind or in front of the basking bulb.
The bulb I recommended should be replaced every 6-12 months.

He looks like a healthy little beardie, I do agree he does look just a bit dehydrated but not too much. You can drip water on his nose for hydration, also make sure you get a new thermometer. Preferably a temp gun as it is the most accurate, if not that then a digital thermometer with a probe. You can get this on amazon.

Basking temps should be 100-110, no lower and no higher.
Warm side (area around the direct basking spot) 88-95.
Cool side 70-85.
Night time temps no lower than 65.
If it drops below this then you need a CHE or ceramic heat emitter which produces no light and only heat. Which by the way beardies can see in color so those red/blue/purple/green lights can not be used during the day or at night.

Make sure you have two supplements to dust his bugs with. One a calcium without d3 and the other a multivitmin. I prefer the Repti-cal brand.
Calcium needs to be dusted 5x a week on at least one meal a day, and multivitmin 2x a week on at least one meal a day.

You need to be feeding him 3x a day, 10-20 healthy staple insects each feeding.
Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-nutrition-data.php#veg
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

VenusandSaturn is dead on right about everything, and I Totally agree with the pet store thing, As I actually helped a pet store clerk learn that sand wasn't good for beardies, or leopard geckos. Last time I checked the reptiles, All of them had carpet. :) It never hurts to point out something wrong to someone.

He should be fine for a few days until you get him a proper UVB bulb. And you could give him more water by misting his cage once a day, One or two spritz will suffice. and You could give him a bath once or twice a week, As it gives them a chance to drink and poop. Just make sure it is no deeper than his elbows.

-HippieLizards.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Beardies don't see standing water like other reptiles and animals do, baths don't really work unless you actually see him drinking from it.

Just get a eyedropper and drip the water onto his nose slowly, he should lick it up.
You can also spray his enclosure once a day or every other day and he'll drink the droplets off the glass or sourounding surfaces.
I've had my juvenile lick her wooden log hide for about an hour once when I sprayed her enclosure down before.

You can use that water bowl as a veggie bowl however so its not a total waste of money.

To my knowledge there is not a T10 bulb that produces uvb, and T5, T8, T12 ect is the size of a tube light bulb which you definitely dont have. Also just in case you almost get a t8 bulb when looking around, t8's are tons weaker than a T5 and don't produce enough UVB on top of a screen.
Did you mean 10.0? You can probably keep it on but it wont do much for him, but yes he'll be fine for a couple of days.

I cant stand petstores sometimes, luckily my petsmart seems to be doing "okay" in the terms of care. I remember when I was looking to get my third beardie I picked up this regular white sand to make a dig area for her. I was preparing for a full grown adult female rather than two 6 month old male and female beardies, which by now you can probably guess that I didnt end up with an adult and instead ended up with two lovely youngsters from miles of exotics.
Anyway one of the people that worked there actually stopped what she was doing to recommend me repti-carpet or something else that wasn't a particle substrate.
I still bought the sand, ended up trying to use it for breeding mealworms. Did not work so well...

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Wow, That person actually knew that sand was bad! :shock: :blob5:

-HippieLizards.

Sethre

Original Poster
Alright, i dripped water on his nose for awhile and he drank it all, not sure how much he should get but he seemed to get a good amount. Also gave him a semi long bath to help try to hydrate him. Heard that they absorb water through their skin, dont know if thats true or not.

Sethre

Original Poster
One mor question. He seems to be very still, doesn't move from the baskin area and doesnt seem interested in the crickets at all. He is turning white on the tail and legs. Think hes getting ready to shed, does that sound right? Should i be worried about his lack of appetite? Hes eaten some crickets and some mealworms but not many.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
It's not true, same goes for "stress marks". Theres a lot of misinformation out there sadly. From the simplest things like tank size to the somewhat complicated things like lighting and diet.

I'd only bath him once or twice a week, and only 10-20 minutes depending on their reaction to the water. My beardies don't exactly like baths if they haven't had them in a few weeks but when on a constant schedule they get used to it as long as it doesn't stress them out too badly and usually begin to relax.
My adult male Saturn wasn't very excited about his bath earlier today.
89510-795101589.jpg
89510-2101510931.jpg
However my little tegu was quite relaxed, which is unusual as usually its the other way around. She hates them and Saturns fine with them, guess she finally got used to it after painstakingly forcing her into the bath because of her shedding issues. She's only 22" long and around 5 months old but boy is she strong already.
89510-7064431105.jpg

As for your other question white on tail and legs is definitely shed. During sheds they sometimes may be a bit grumpy and have a slight lack in appetite. However his is mostly a UVB issue causing it and possible relocation stress depending on how long you've had him. This can also be caused by too low of temperatures.

You need to stop feeding him mealworms though. They have too much chitin for a young beardie to digest without issues.
As I've stated in one of my other posts they should only be offered to beardies that are 6+ months of age and only every other day to every two days. And only 5-10 at the max for that feeding day.

Sethre

Original Poster
Thanks for your in depth answers! Ill stop feeding him mealworms and stick with crickets and greens. Are all greens safe to feed him? Such as spinich and romaine lettuce?

ryknoll3

Sethre":penxywoj said:
Thanks for your in depth answers! Ill stop feeding him mealworms and stick with crickets and greens. Are all greens safe to feed him? Such as spinich and romaine lettuce?
No, spinach is one of the worst. It binds calcium, so they don't get a proper calcium intake. Romaine lettuce is almost all water and little to no nutritional value.

Proper greens would be the dark stuff. Collard greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, endive, escarole, bok choy, etc....

Stay away from lettuces.

Sethre

Original Poster
Alright thank you! I'm sorry I have one more question. Would a Reptisun T8 be okay for now, or does it HAVE to be a T5? I've called every pet store around me and none of them carry a T5.

*EDIT: Never mind, found a store that carries it near me finally! Thank you everyone for the help and encouragement!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Defiantly preferred to get a T5, lasts longer and if its a T5 10.0 or higher in percentage it can usually go on top of the screen while everything lower than this has to be mounted inside for the most part.

by HippieLizards » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:48 am

Btw VenusandSaturn, Your Tegu and beardie are adorable!!!! :love10: I love tegus! :blob5:
Saturn looks similar to my Cisco.

Thank you! I kinda see the similarities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom