how to feed up a bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelzix

so my beardie is 51.5 cm long and ways 650g.. he has never really had plump fat pads.
How do i feed him so that he gains some more weight and those fat pads?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your dragon doesn't need to gain a bit of weight. The " fat pad " on the head is one of the most often misunderstood features on a beardie. All dragons have different shaped heads. You never go according to the thought that these must look like little pillows popping out on the top of the head like some dragons have. :) Many pet dragons are even overweight, so at 650 your dragon is either a good normal hefty dragon or possibly going toward the heavy side. A leaner dragon that is not underweight will be healthier than a chubby dragon. They retain their agility + climbing skills where fat dragons lose these and are more like couch potatoes.

Post a few pics of your boy anyway if you can. Full body as well as head shots.

Nelzix

Original Poster
88476-8114946461.jpg
AHBD":395hpjvg said:
Your dragon doesn't need to gain a bit of weight. The " fat pad " on the head is one of the most often misunderstood features on a beardie. All dragons have different shaped heads. You never go according to the thought that these must look like little pillows popping out on the top of the head like some dragons have. :) Many pet dragons are even overweight, so at 650 your dragon is either a good normal hefty dragon or possibly going toward the heavy side. A leaner dragon that is not underweight will be healthier than a chubby dragon. They retain their agility + climbing skills where fat dragons lose these and are more like couch potatoes.

Post a few pics of your boy anyway if you can. Full body as well as head shots.
88476-8579570255.jpg
88476-8114946461.jpg
88476-8694853470.jpg
88476-255017174.jpg
88476-7017096239.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmmmm....the body is very plump, almost like a female carrying eggs while the top of the head does look slightly indented. Some dragons retain fluid in their belly when they are ill. Have you had him tested foe Atadenovirus ? Not to scare you but there may be a reason that he has that shape whileat the same time the head looks like that of a underweight dragon [ slightly ] and the tail is juuuuust a bit thin but not much. Could be somewhat dehydrated .

Are you positive it's a female ? If not, post a few pics with the tail arched high in the air while your dragon has all 4 feet flat on a table. A few pics of the cloaca [ rear end ] in that position. Just to rule out a possible belly full of eggs if it's a female.

Nelzix

Original Poster
AHBD":2v4xuiv7 said:
Hmmmmm....the body is very plump, almost like a female carrying eggs while the top of the head does look slightly indented. Some dragons retain fluid in their belly when they are ill. Have you had him tested foe Atadenovirus ? Not to scare you but there may be a reason that he has that shape whileat the same time the head looks like that of a underweight dragon [ slightly ] and the tail is juuuuust a bit thin but not much. Could be somewhat dehydrated .

Are you positive it's a female ? If not, post a few pics with the tail arched high in the air while your dragon has all 4 feet flat on a table. A few pics of the cloaca [ rear end ] in that position. Just to rule out a possible belly full of eggs if it's a female.

I am 100% sure its a MALE and he was recently very ill and wasn't eating, due to high temps on the basking side so yes he is dehydrated but I am giving him water orally 2-3 times a day with a pipette so yes he is dehydrated.. during his time of illness he hadn't eaten for three months and has only just started eating again and he is enjoying dubias right now

I have also not checked for atadenovirus.

but he has never been housed with other dragons nor has he ever "stargazed" etc and he is also really active considering what trauma and poor health he has been through the past few months..

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
What "illness" did he have where he didn't eat for 3 months?

I'd actually be very concerned that something else is going on here, because his hips and fat pads really do look like he's almost emaciated, which would make sense if he hasn't eaten for the past 3 months, yet he's got a ton of "weight" in his belly, that most likely isn't weight at all, it's most likely fluid...

You do not want to just go and try to pile weight on him, that's not the answer here. He's got something going on that is causing a huge amount of some kind of fluid retention in his abdomen. He needs to see an experienced reptile vet for routine blood work and either an x-ray or an ultrasound, as something is not right here...

How long has his stomach been so large?

Nelzix

Original Poster
EllenD":1ygsxuud said:
What "illness" did he have where he didn't eat for 3 months?

I'd actually be very concerned that something else is going on here, because his hips and fat pads really do look like he's almost emaciated, which would make sense if he hasn't eaten for the past 3 months, yet he's got a ton of "weight" in his belly, that most likely isn't weight at all, it's most likely fluid...

You do not want to just go and try to pile weight on him, that's not the answer here. He's got something going on that is causing a huge amount of some kind of fluid retention in his abdomen. He needs to see an experienced reptile vet for routine blood work and either an x-ray or an ultrasound, as something is not right here...

How long has his stomach been so large?

hey EllenD, you helped me out on his 3 months of not eating from dehydration. he has always had sunken-ish fat pads and he has always weighed enough.

his stomach has always been large since he was round 10 months ish and his fat pads have always been pretty non existent.

Could it be the fact he is not keen on vegetables? and he also has poos that have solid urate and formation but have some water coming out aswell..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It wouldn't have anything to do with eating vegetables. How do you keep him hydrated ? Hopefully he doesn't have kidney issues since he has suffered from dehydration in the past. Have you tried slurries, blend up some bugs + greens + a strawberry for him + see how he likes it.

And I agree, get some bloodwork done to see if his liver + kidney function is O.K and other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom