FROZEN BEARDED DRAGON HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have baby bearded dragon named Safire and her tank was near an open window it droped to about 40 or below degrees at night time. Then when I went to check on her she was all frozen I picked her up and she didn't move at all. Then I felt that she was breathing slowly. Then I noticed that the window was open so I closed it. Then I opened the basking/heat lamp to let her heat up. Now Safire is not frozen anymore but I need some tips to what should I do now.

Thanks!!!! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl. She probably got cold and shut her systems down. Try to warm her back up but do so slowly. Maybe wrap her in a small blanket or towel and then hold her against your body to help warm her up slowly using your body heat. A basking light would probably work too but I would slowly ramp it up using a dimmer or start with the light far away and move it closer. Hopefully she will get more active again as she warms up and will bounce back quickly.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH poor thing, I bet she was really really cold! At least she was still breathing, but
slowly! I agree, she likely just shut her system down to preserve energy. It's a good
thing you found her when you did though.
Definitely warm her up slowly so it doesn't shock her system. She should be ok, but
it would be a good idea to keep a ceramic heat emitter on overnight, to be sure she
stays warm.
Let us know how she is doing!

Tracie

PinkJolina22

Original Poster
CooperDragon":18qnwcgk said:
How is she doing today?

She doing better but she is not eating a lot. When she eats she eats a little like 15 crickets a day and then she skips like 1 or 2 days of not feeding and then she eats 15 more crickets. Is this normal

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, that is normal since she was so cold. Their metabolic systems come back slowly so just
keep trying with the food. She will eventually start eating more. Is she basking quite a bit
too?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

PinkJolina22

Original Poster
Drache613":34i77645 said:
Hello,

Yes, that is normal since she was so cold. Their metabolic systems come back slowly so just
keep trying with the food. She will eventually start eating more. Is she basking quite a bit
too?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

She been basking a lot!! Most of the time she wouldn't do much she will just lay there and bask but she seems to be doing good.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
i'm glad she's doing better, and I'm sure you've since moved her tank away from the window...remember that this works both ways too, that's why it's not a good idea at all to keep their tanks in front of a window, as the sun beating through the window can also cause lethal temperature ranges inside their glass tanks very quickly.

Since you put her back in her tank, have you checked her Basking Spot Surface Temperature with either a Temp Gun or a Digital Probe Thermometer? If not, I'd suggest doing this ASAP, just to make sure that it's between 105-110 degrees F...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great she is doing much better now, poor thing!
Definitely double check your temperatures just to be sure they are where they need to be
right now. It is always nice to have them beside a window for a view for them, but you do
have to be careful due to temperature variances. You can always sit her up in the window
for a bit during the day so she can have a view also, but making sure she doesn't fall out of
the windows.

Tracie

PinkJolina22

Original Poster
Drache613":2hzr9jvw said:
Hello,

That's great she is doing much better now, poor thing!
Definitely double check your temperatures just to be sure they are where they need to be
right now. It is always nice to have them beside a window for a view for them, but you do
have to be careful due to temperature variances. You can always sit her up in the window
for a bit during the day so she can have a view also, but making sure she doesn't fall out of
the windows.

Tracie

Thanks everyone for helping me she is doing much better thanks to you guys. She's also started to eat better now she is not near a window anymore. But she still likes to look outside the window but with carful supervisor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom