Concerned about Slim - possible yellow fungus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Got it, thanks! I'll leave him be for the most part until Sunday, when I'll do a cleaning/bandage change.

My poor baby. I think I may buy him a big thing of horn worms as a special treat. They'd help with hydration, too.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just got home and checked on Slim! He seems alert and even ate a big juicy hornworm. I noticed that he had a lot of Honey on his belly and the bottom of the tank so I did my best to wipe the excess away with a damp paper towel. I reapplied fresh honey to the irritated scales that are peeking out of the bandage, and applied a little bit of extra gauze over the raw part because the gauze had moved aside and exposed it.

He doesn't blackbeard when I handle him, but he definitely seems to be in a bit of pain as he begins huffing and puffing and even blowing his beard out a little bit. I'm wondering if I should give him some of the pain medication that his vet prescribed a while back, .5 milliliters of metacam. She said that it can be harsh on their livers though, and that I shouldn't give it to him often. He already had a few doses over the last few weeks so I don't know if I should do that or not.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It may be just that it hurts only as you're handling him. Try to keep the bandage a little tighter to keep it from moving. It's still a great sign that he's eating, that hornworm nay cause a bit of a mess on it's way out so make sure his wound is covered up really well and hopefully the timing will be right for his bathroom business to be done while you are there.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok good to know, thanks! I will wait until my boyfriend gets home and then fasten the bandages tighter. I think it's easier to handle him and cause him less pain with two people. Right now he's just sort of hanging out on his hammock under the basking lights.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I would only give him the Metacam if he black-beards, then it's necessary. One thing that a lot of people don't realize, and I learned not long ago from my own personal experience, is that the raw, unpasteurized honey on an open wound burns like a mother for a few minutes after you apply it...

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Ellen & AHBD!

I just changed Slim's bandage and I am SO relieved. I think he's healing!

The honey was a bit sticky so I did give him a quick rinse with a light betadine solution. Then I dabbed him dry with some gauze and paper towel, applied raw honey to fresh gauze and taped him up.

The first picture is Thursday. The second is today. It looks like it's healing over! I guess the dark spots are scabbing? I didn't see any pus or overt signs of infection so I'm hoping this all looks good to you guys!

zu1csQM.jpg

igNWYLs.jpg

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, that looks a ton better!!! Yes, it's healing! And now I'm certain that the yellow color is simply seepage, as you can see that now. He's doing really well now. Good job. Just keep doing what you're doing, he'll be just fine. That's amazing how much that exposed tissue has healed over in such a short amount of time, and with just a little raw honey and some air hitting the wound...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, it does look better just that quickly ! The tissue is definitely growing over the open wound. That's what honey does because it contains all the amino acids. I know you must be so happy to see that ! I'm really happy for you and your family , esp. Slim. :) Do you think it's swollen at all ?

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes, we are so relieved! Thank you both so much for your continued help! Our baby may have been in such a bad place without you.

Now that you mention it, it does look a little puffy? But maybe that's just from the extra skin that came in while healing... Or do you think it's something to be concerned about?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think it looks slightly bigger in all the pics, but that could be the normal swelling from the injury and/or the angle of the picture. It still looks much improved so it is working. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good, I'm eager to see the progression and am so hoping that this does the trick. I've never ever heard of a dragons femoral pores being removed and am wondering how this will heal being that those glands are in the leg.

How's he eating, still have an appetite ? Is he getting hydration and is he still on antibiotics ?

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I don't know if they removed the pore itself... They removed the necrotic skin, but it was around a pore so who knows...

He isn't on antibiotics but I'll ask the new vet about that on Wednesday. He ate another large hornworm yesterday so I think he's doing well! He's never very interested in his veggies, even when he's healthy...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can see the tissue has grown over the gaping hole so those pores are covered over. The other pores are still there so that should be fine. Be sure you go right in with him , not letting him be taken back without you in the exam room. Bring a little towel for him to set on, those vet exam tables are cold. And don't let the vet scrape anything around the new tissue, if the want to test for Y.F. [ which we don't think he has ] just let them do the belly area. I do believe this stain is all from the betadine that will discolor skin/scales like that. The nasty looking flesh near his wound was just that it was constantly soggy + sloughing off in that area.

Dreamwritten

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Good idea, thank you. I regret letting them take him back into the exam room at the other vet. Who knew what they were doing to the poor thing--he'd come out with THE blackest beard I've ever seen!

It's so tough because I want to be righteous and angry at the other vet, but they were nice people, and I genuinely believe they thought they were doing the right thing... even though they were making matters worse.

I really hope the pore being covered isn't an issue. :cry:

Just to reiterate from our PM (for anyone else reading):

If the new vet tries to do anything crazy I may just tell him I want to hold off on any other treatments for a while until I see how this heals up, and that I just wanted to make sure he didn't look infected or anything. We will see, but I will not let him scrape at the wound or do a "biopsy" or anything of the sort. The good news is that by the time I take him in on Wednesday, the exposed tissue should be mostly healed over, so he should (hopefully) not attempt to cover it in any way.

Also, while I don't think it looks like yellow fungus anymore, it does look like it's more than just a stain. Some of the scales seem to be peeling away. But maybe that's just retained shed, or an irritation from the bandage? Either way, it seems to be getting better with the honey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom