Yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read through the forums and just need more advice. My beardie is about a year old. We adopted him from a petstore because he would not heal an wound below his eye. We got this all fixed up but it was very difficult. Several antibiotics were given. It was an injection in the end that healed it. He was doimg great then ended up with a sore on his mouth that wouldnt heal. Thr vet went through several antibotics that didnt work. It was cultured ... they put him on yet another antibiotic that was suppose to help according to the culture. It seems to start to look better but then it flared up again.we took him back and they did a biopsy. It came back yellow fungus. So i feel we have lost precious time fighting this for about 9 months now. The vet is having medicines made that will take about a week. He is a very healthy looking and has been eating well until recently it seems the dubie roaches hurt his mouth. So we switched to superworms. He srr them... but noe they seem to hurt his mouth so he will eat wax worms which I know are not the best as a reg diet. I would love to get some butter worms for him.. but the place i get them..cant get them. He is still eating his salad. Thr other problem is calcium. He wont eat anythjng with liquid or powder calcium. It makes him shake his head. Any suggestions on how to get that into him. I read on here to out paper towels down and clean tank daily. Im going to fo that. I read about f10 spray? Where can you buy this at locally? I am going to use bleach for now. I also read about probiotics ,....what is the best kind to get that may taste good. This was just a sore on his mouth but looking at him good yesterday he does have some yellowing on his chest. What are others experience with life span with treatment? Thr othet thing im concerened with is his tail is dark.. could it be tail rot on top of all this ? He was at the vet and i told him how he has a hard time shedding but in hindsight that is part of the yw. Maybe his tail has not shed properly? Also i read you shouldnt give them baths when they have this because it spreads. But then i rwsd thst a bath in betadine is good. My problem is when he bathes he drinks lots of the bathwater. So what should i do there ? Im devaststed. I guess i shoips have never adopted a pet with a sore. I think maybe it started there or maybe it happened from all the antibiotics he got to clear that up. Im going to send pictures. Can you tell me how to do that on here.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Wolf, I'm sorry to hear about this sad situation. :( Here's how to post pics. Be sure to get pics of all affected areas in good lighting, and not while he's wet.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

So is the vet getting oral meds. called voriconazol or itraconazole ? Those are pretty much the only effective meds. and still Y.F. is very often fatal. It's best to stop the baths but you can dab a wet cloth that is soaked in betadine solution on his tail or chest if you think it's starting there. If you use any betadine near his mouth be sure it's diluted down to look like iced tea. The other areas can be a stronger solution.

To give him nutrition, feed him smoothies. You can even blend in any insect you want along with healthy greens like turnip, mustard, collard, kale , and a few sweet things like strawberry, blueberry + raspberry . Mix in a bit of calcium powder, extra water and bee pollen [ to boost his immune system ] Some beardies live for a year or so, maybe more with Y.F. You will know when + if it's time to put him to sleep if he gets so compromised that he is suffering with no hope. But for now he may do alright for a while with these changes. Best wishes to you + your little buddy !

wolflover629

Original Poster
I will have to look and see what the veterinarian prescribed and post it later. I know one was a SSD cream and then he will be on two different oral medications. thank you for your help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, what a sweet looking boy ! How sad that he has a very serious case of Y.F. [ aka CANV ] that is eating away at his mouth. SSD is silver sulfadiazine cream which is one of the best topicals for difficult wounds. I don't want to give you false hope....he may likely not survive. I'd be surprised if he does , but you can treat him as long as you can see that he's not just suffering . Some dragons live for a year or so reportedly but he's already had a bad bout come on with his face like that . You can also apply raw unpasteurized honey to those areas but if you do, you need to be 100% sure there are no loose bugs in the tank.

Have you tried the smoothie yet ? And I don't think he has tail rot, just a slight trauma likely from when he was younger.

wolflover629

Original Poster
The oral medications are... and I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right are verisonazole and terbinatine. I'm hoping the medications will be in at the vet tomorrow so we can get him started on them.i guess they had to dose it down. He is losing weight fast. He ate a few worms
Tonight. It seems he is getting worse fast. What about probiotics.? Do you think that will help his appetite? If so what kind. I have not got the bee pollen yet.

wolflover629

Original Poster
The oral medications are... and I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right are verisonazole and terbinatine. I'm hoping the medications will be in at the vet tomorrow so we can get him started on them.i guess they had to dose it down. He is losing weight fast. He ate a few worms
Tonight. It seems he is getting worse fast. What about probiotics.? Do you think that will help his appetite? If so what kind. I have not got the bee pollen yet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those would be voriconazole and terbinafine and are the latest + best that vets are using against Y.F.
The problem will be to get him to take them since his mouth is already in pain. That's also the reason he's not eating. I don't know that he can really be helped at this point or prolong his suffering. I'm really so sorry that you + your poor baby are going through this. I'll have one of the mods. take a look at this, you can p.m. her as well if you like, Drache613 is her username.

wolflover629

Original Poster
Thank you , it is so sad. I was hoping his medication would be in today but as of yet it is not. I did make him a smoothie of stuff I had and he tried to steal the syringe. He ate a few bites of it before he stopped. I think the biopsy has made this a lot worse that he had on Friday. Im going to to my best to get him to eat and see if the medications make a difference. I know if they don't I will be have to euthanize him :( I am also going to get him some critical care and carnivore care today from the vet. Going to alternate that and the smoothies. I know the vet was suppose to be checking on pain medications also to see if it could be given with the antifungals and not make the disease worse . What is your opinion on that ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy, what a bad break he's had. I think a low dose of pain meds. would be something to do in his condition. BTW, you say he bit at the syringe, maybe he thought it was a worm coming his way. One thing to try along with the syringe feedings is to give him fresh shed bugs and maybe also try hornworms. Those would all be soft + maybe not irritate his mouth as much.

Try different ingredients in the smoothie to see if there's anything that sparks his interest. I know it's time consuming but maybe you could discover something he'll really like. You can even add a few drops of raw honey to the mix.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH dear, I am so sorry he has had such horrible luck. The survival rate for yellow fungus is
usually not very high, unfortunately.
Which oral antifungal are you going to be giving him? As stated, Voriconazole or Itraconazole
are the two most used. Voriconazole may be more effective than the others. It will be absolutely
essential that you give probiotics during the medication rounds.
How are you cleaning off the mouth right now?
I would suggest getting some raw, unpasteurized honey to put on his mouth to help with healing.
It is safe if ingested, whereas the silvadene is not. It's hard when dealing with mouth issues such
as his.
Also, colloidal silver is promising as an antimicrobial/antibacterial agent. It kills a lot of different
types of bacteria so you could consider that also.
As far as a pain reliever, the metacam is routinely used, but, it may be too harsh on his system
since he is already compromised. You could try serrapeptase which is an all natural enzyme,
produced by silkworms. It has very good properties for pain relief & help with swelling & anti-
inflammatory issues.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I hate to sound like there's absolutely no hope, so I do want to recommend one more thing. Just like Tracie said, try some raw, unpasteurized honey on it. You can get medi-honey at walmart and some drug stores [ call first to see, but most have it ] It has amazing healing properties that you can read about and I've seen for myself. It's worth a try and since it tastes good + is non toxic your beardie will not mind it on his face + lip area at all. Just be sure there are no loose bugs in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom