Older Bearded Dragon Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaruBD

Hi so my girl is 10 years old and I'm having some problems.
First, she isn't eating her greens/vegetables as she did before, (seemed to happen after feeding her Dubia roaches which I am starting to breed.)
Second, she has weird tremors/muscle spasms in her back, video Here
it happens in These areas, randomly.
This has been happening for a few months now.

All the questions:
How old is your dragon? 10 Years old.
How long have you had your dragon? 9 Years.
How long is your dragon? 19" long.
What is the sex of your dragon? Female.
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 55 Gallon.
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Towels.
Do you use UVB lights? Yes.
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Fluorescent tube.
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Zoo Med Repti Sun 10.0.
How old is your UVB bulb? 4 Months.
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 8" at basking side, 12" on the cool side. (Can adjust easily.)
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot 150W.
What are the basking temps? 105.6F.
What is the cool side temp? 82.4F.
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Digital thermometer with probe.
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? The probe is directly on top of the basking area she sits at, and on the floor on the cool side.
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? Heat pad at night. (if under 65ish degrees.)
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Collard/turnip greens every day, occasional feeds include green beans, mustard greens, sweet bell peppers, sweet potato, acorn/spaghetti/butternut squash (she doesn't like it very much), strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, banana.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? usually around 4PM.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Now that I'm breeding dubias, yes.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? I use Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3 3-4 times a week and Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin 2 times a week.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? She poops every couple (2-4) days.
Do you bath your dragon? How often? Roughly once every two weeks.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? I give her water to drink with a medicine dropper aprox. every 3 days.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No, but am planning on it next month.
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that your 10 year old has stopped eating veggies, it is odd that a 10-year old would suddenly stop eating their salads...

You said that she stopped eating her salads completely after you started feeding her Dubia Roaches...is she still eating the Dubia Roaches regularly? How many does she typically eat per day (I'm assuming that if she hasn't eaten any salad for the past 3 months that you've been supplementing her salad with the live Dubias, as you should have if she won't eat any salad at all)? Have you tried feeding her any other insects besides the Dubias, and if so, has she eaten them willingly? What live insect were you feeding her along with her salad before you started with the Dubias?

It's quite possible that she just really liked the Dubias and decided that's all that she wanted, and she said "Nope, I don't want that stinkin' salad anymore, I want those roaches!"...This is not at all uncommon, it happens all the time. They can get bored with the same insects or the same salad all the time, but if you were feeding her salad every day and she was eating it, and that went on for years with no issues, and then one day you started giving her roaches and she loved them, that may very well be what happened, she got spoiled and decided no more salad for her...

The only husbandry issue I see that may be potentially an problem is how you have your UVB tube mounted...You said that you have had the Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube for about 4 months...Did you have the exact same UVB tube prior to this and you just replaced the tube at 6 months old, as you should, or did you have a different UVB tube prior to getting the Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube 4 months ago?

What strength of Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube is your tube (T8 or T5)? Do you have it sitting on top of a mesh lid, or is the UVB tube obstructed by anything else (is there anything between your dragon and the bare UVB tube)?

The only other suggestion I would make is that you start giving her Calcium 5 days a week, rather than 3-4, I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it can be. And whether or not she's getting enough D3 is dependent on the answers to the questions about your UVB tube)...

BaruBD

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, she hasn't stopped eating veggies completely, just not as much as she should be.
When I said it's been happening for a few months I meant the twitching.
I haven't fed her dubias in about a week as I'm trying to get her to eat her greens instead. But she won't eat more than a few bites.
I was feeding crickets before the dubias and she ate them just fine, however, she hasn't eaten them in over a month now.
Her UVB tube is mounted on the inside of her tank 8-12" away from her with nothing obstructing it.
I've been using the same type of UVB for years now.
It's a T8 bulb.
This is it. http://a.co/5HdUmmy the 24" one.
I will start giving her more calcium supplement.

Also just now noticed she's in a mating mood right now... bobbing her head and stuff, can that make them not eat as much?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If she is head bobbing and black bearding then she may have other priorities rather than eating for now, yes. Since you are using a T8 you might want to set it a little closer. 6-8'' using a reflector will provide the best output from those. At 12'' away a T5 would be a better fit I think.

BaruBD

Original Poster
That's what I was thinking, Cooper.
Do you know any way I can use a reflector when the tube is mounted INSIDE the tank?
Her terrarium is very tall... 19" tall so using a normal reflector fixture on the top isn't really viable.
Here's a pic of how it is now.

By the way, she ate ~15 medium/large sized dubias earlier.

BaruBD

Original Poster
Okay, I'll be buying the reflector then, don't have the money to switch to the T5 stuff right now.
Another question, is a 24" bulb long enough for a 48" wide tank?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it should be moved closer right now. Sometimes when they get older, they may have
a harder time absorbing certain vitamins & or minerals. So, I would move the light closer as
suggested using a reflector & increase the calcium for awhile to see if that helps out for her.
Increased hormones can definitely affect their appetites too.
She looks good overall though, for 10 years old, great job!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom