Baby Bearded Dragon Won't Eat, and Other Possible Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my first bearded dragon about a week ago, I'm not sure what her exact age is, but I'm sure she's only a few weeks old, maximum. Her total length is only about as long as my hand.

Anyways, she's not a big eater. I know that young beardies are supposed to eat mainly insects, yet she's not eating much at all. The day after we brought her home she ate maybe 10 or so crickets, and even less the day after. We still offer them to her as much as we can, yet she simply just sits there. What should we do?

She has a basking light and heat mat. At some points she'll lay around in one spot for hours, then move to another and stay for an even longer amount of time. While yes she seems lazy, she's still alert. She will also scratch at the glass and lean up against it on her back legs and sleep; I'm assuming that's her reflection she's seeing, should I put up a background?

Also, she has stress marks on her abdomen. Is there any way to help relieve her stress?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like she's active which is good. Are you using a UVB light as well? What are the surface temperatures across her tank? Proper heating and lighting play a vital role in their overall health so it's important to get that just right.

The dark lines are common with young dragons. They darken their colors to absorb heat/light and it causes the lines on their bellies to show. It's not necessarily mood related at all. That in itself isn't something to be concerned with.

If you can post some photos of her setup, it would be helpful. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

Kleenextoaster

Original Poster
I've one thermometer in the center of the enclosure. It's at a steady 70°f, which is much lower than I'd appreciate, yet the beardie is certainly not cold, considering she'll laze about on the cool side of the tank. We use a heat mat, but I don't exactly trust those. It produces a noticeable heat, but I'm not sure it's enough, so I'm currently eyeing one of those heat bulbs. She does have a UVB lamp. She'll bask on the bark for a while and then move to a new spot.

I've started giving her 10 to 15 minute baths in warm, shoulder-deep water. She does lap at the water occasionally. I'm just mostly concerned at her water intake. Should I still do these to her?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
70 isn't high enough for a surface temperature. You want the basking surface to be between 100-110 with areas around that in the 90s and the cool side surfaces should be around 75-80 or so. The UVB light should be above the basking area and within the appropriate distance for the type of bulb (they all vary in output).

I prefer offering water by dripping it on their nose to lick up but if she is acting calm in the bath and doesn't seem stressed they are fine to offer. They aren't worth added stress though and they are stressful to some dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom