Extremely Aggressive baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a four month old bearded dragon baby. His setup is fine I already have an adult I raised from a baby and she is fine and nice as can be. He is EXTREMELY aggressive though. He was jumpy when I got him and will attack my hand. It’s a front opening tank and the temps are correct. He eats fine and doesn’t have a Blackbeard all the time or anything like that. If I put my hand in the tank though to try to feed him, pet him, clean up poop, etc. he’ll attack me and bite me. He is from fire and ice dragons and I was wondering if the more expensive dragons are prettier but more aggressive “if they were bred for looks not temperment”? Thank you all for the help

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Each beardie has a different personality, the more expensive beardies wont be more aggressive for no reason at all compared to non expensive ones, some beardies expensive or not will have a more defensive personality compared to other beardies.

He's most likely just freaked out and a bit scared of you as he does not know if you will hurt him or not, and this is perfectly normal for them to act this way when they don't know you.

I have a wiblits beardie named Neptune, she was around 300 and she is the sweetest beardie I have.
(Towards humans at least)

Though she is a bit special in the head, and is more of a one person type of beardie but this has nothing to do with her morph.
When she was younger she had a phobia of hides (still does but not as much),
she tries to eat temperature gauges on occasion (usually the zoomed yellow ones),
she only just learned a few weeks ago she wont die if she jumps off her hammock down to her rock bridge which is literally an inch a way where she can get down from,
she freaks out pretty badly when someone else that isn't a family member touches her or picks her up,
She is also extremely aggressive towards other beardies, towards humans that aren't strangers she's pretty sweet and never has one sign of aggression. However as soon as she sees another beardie she will try to kill it if it does not leave her enclosures area. If I have all the beardies out I have to keep her at least 4 feet from the other two at minimum.
(I rarely have them out all together, and when I do have more than one out it's usually the two adults)
She's also literally smaller and younger than my two adults and a bit weaker than them but it doesn't seem to really come into her mind that she would probably die if she fought them at all.

Yours will eventually come around it just takes time.

Invizimals18

Original Poster
So do I just keep getting bit for the time being? Do I still pick him up because he freaks out and bites me? Will he calm with age?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd give him some space and minimize handling for a while. You could try wearing some gardening gloves to protect your fingers from bites. As mentioned their personalities are unique and don't really seem to be related to a morph or breeding. They generally tend to calm down as they get old and relax when they get used to a new home and know they are safe.

Invizimals18

Original Poster
He’s been in his home since December 26th. Shouldn’t he be settled in yet? I tried handling him more the last couple days to see if he’d get better and now he’s even meaner. When I try to feed him now he will bite me and is getting more aggressive. He’s still obviously a baby so will he calm with age and size? He’s about 8 inches now. I’ve seen mean adult lizards and just would like to have one not like that.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
It just takes time, I've had my blue tongue skink since august of 2017 and she's still defensive. Then again she is a import/farm bred/wild caught so this effects her behavior toward other animals. Eventually I know she will warm up to me, it just takes time.

You should be glad your's is just a baby beardie, mines a juvenile blue tongue skink that bites back on occasion, especially with food present. And let me tell you I rather be bitten by all three of my beardies rather than my single blue tongue skink, she has a very crushing bite and it feels like she's about to take your finger off when she bites down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom