Beardie acting weird/symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camhabit

Hello all, I have a 2 year old beardie named Baby, and all has gone well since I got her December 4th. Her basking temp is 95° and she is in a 40 gallon enclosure apro 8 inches away from the light, (it's a mvb, bc she doesn't go anywhere else in her enclosure). Recently, 2 weeks ago she stopped eating her greens totally, and I think may be toughing it out for the super worms I give her every other day. I tried not feeding her any worms for a few days, and she really didn't budge but for a few pieces. Today, I came home and there is 3 freezedried mealworms I have her maybe about a week ago, in her poop and or throw up. Also there were some chopped up greens in there too. I am very worried as for the past 2 or 3 weeks also, sometimes when she breathes, it sounds like a tiny bubble popping maybe coming from her nose (I have been looking, but have not seen any mucus coming from her nose or mouth what so ever, I just hear a bubble sound)? I understand it may be a respiratory infection, but want to make sure, and get some opinions on this matter. Other than that, she will demolish some superworms, (which btw I do dust) and she is crazy, like she will run around every where when I let her out, and go explore like normal. Please help, this has been worrying me for a while now, thanks so much.

**also, she has been 'gulping recently, in and out of her enclosure, like she is swallowing saliva or something, she does it every few seconds

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope Baby doesn't have a respiratory infection.
The MVB you have, what brand is it & do you know the wattage? I love MVB's & use them
also, in combination with a T5 too.
I would say that 8 inches for a MVB is a little close. Most 100 watts need to be at least 10
inches away. The basking is 95 but should be a tad higher, in a range of 95-105. If moving
the MVB further decreases the basking temperature then you can get a ceramic heat emitter
to help boost the temperatures up.
Continue offering the greens & she will eventually eat them. Will she eat roaches or any
crickets or just superworms? Was that the first time you had fed freeze dried mealworms?
They may have upset her system some. How often do you supplement with calcium or other
vitamins?
Has her beard been darker lately or not?
Is she losing weight at all, or gaining, etc? Has she ever laid infertile eggs before?

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, please post some photos of your Dragon, and also of her complete enclosure/tank showing how you have her lights set-up. And then let us know exactly what MVB you have for her...

What kind of thermometer are you using to measure her temperatures? You say that her "Basking Spot Temperature" is 95 degrees F, but are you measuring that with either a Temperature Gun or a Digital Probe Thermometer? If not, and you're only using a Stick-On Thermometer of some kind, then that is not her Basking Spot Temperature, as it's a SURFACE Temperature. It would rather be her Hot Side Air/Ambient Temperature, and it's a bit high...However, if you are using either a Gun or a Probe and the 95 degrees F is actually her Basking Spot Surface Temperature, then it's far too low, and this is part of the problem, as if their Basking Spot Surface Temp is too low, they cannot properly digest their food, and they also tend to have little appetite and become lethargic. Her Basking Spot Surface Temperature needs to be at least 100 degrees, 105 is best.

A major issue that you have, and that most likely is causing most of this issue is that you're feeding her Freeze-Dried insects, and mealworms yet...Dragons should NEVER be fed any Freeze-Dried Insects, for a number of reasons, most importantly because they contain absolute ZERO hydration, and Dragons get most of their hydration from their LIVE insects and Fresh Greens. They don't drink much, if any water directly. Also, Freeze-Dried insects are basically like feeding her cardboard, literally cardboard would be more nutritious. Every time someone comes on here and says they have been feeding their Dragons any type of Freeze-Dried insects or greens/veggies, the problems that they are having include bowel impactions, bowel obstructions, vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, and if they are fed them long enough they even develop disease processes related to malnutrition. And mealworms are not at all good to feed Bearded Dragons when they are alive, so obviously feeding them Freeze-Dried mealworms is a huge no-no. Mealworms in general are low in protein, low in vitamins/minerals, very high in fat, and mostly just a pile of very hard, chitlin shells that Dragons have a very hard time digesting and passing in their bowel movements. So when you feed them Freeze-Dried insects you're simply feeding them the hard shells or exoskeletons in the case of crickets, and zero hydration.

Proper LIVE "Staple" Feeder Insects for Bearded Dragons, meaning the live insects that they can eat every day on a regular basis and in high quantities include Crickets, several different species of Roaches including Dubias, Silkworms, and BSFL/Phoenix Worms/NutriGrubs/ReptiWorms/CalciWorms (all the same exact thing, just different brand names). There are some live insects you can feed as occasional treats, a few per week, include Wax Worms, HornWorms, and ButterWorms. And as far as Superworms go, they can be fed as a supplement to their live Staple insects, but should not be fed as the Staple insect because they are extremely high in fat, and when Dragons are fed Superworms as their primary source of live insect protein, the Dragons often end-up with Fatty Liver Disease. For example, I feed large BSFL as my live staple feeder insect, and then my adults who are large enough to handle them get 1-2 appropriately sized Superworms every other day, that's it...But either way, you need to completely stop all of the Freeze-Dried insects, as they are not at all healthy, they'll dehydrate him, and as you can see, they cause bowel impactions and vomiting.

When is the last time your Dragon had a Bowel Movement?

Camhabit

Original Poster
EllenD":1jxd2yvu said:
Yes, please post some photos of your Dragon, and also of her complete enclosure/tank showing how you have her lights set-up. And then let us know exactly what MVB you have for her...

What kind of thermometer are you using to measure her temperatures? You say that her "Basking Spot Temperature" is 95 degrees F, but are you measuring that with either a Temperature Gun or a Digital Probe Thermometer? If not, and you're only using a Stick-On Thermometer of some kind, then that is not her Basking Spot Temperature, as it's a SURFACE Temperature. It would rather be her Hot Side Air/Ambient Temperature, and it's a bit high...However, if you are using either a Gun or a Probe and the 95 degrees F is actually her Basking Spot Surface Temperature, then it's far too low, and this is part of the problem, as if their Basking Spot Surface Temp is too low, they cannot properly digest their food, and they also tend to have little appetite and become lethargic. Her Basking Spot Surface Temperature needs to be at least 100 degrees, 105 is best.

A major issue that you have, and that most likely is causing most of this issue is that you're feeding her Freeze-Dried insects, and mealworms yet...Dragons should NEVER be fed any Freeze-Dried Insects, for a number of reasons, most importantly because they contain absolute ZERO hydration, and Dragons get most of their hydration from their LIVE insects and Fresh Greens. They don't drink much, if any water directly. Also, Freeze-Dried insects are basically like feeding her cardboard, literally cardboard would be more nutritious. Every time someone comes on here and says they have been feeding their Dragons any type of Freeze-Dried insects or greens/veggies, the problems that they are having include bowel impactions, bowel obstructions, vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, and if they are fed them long enough they even develop disease processes related to malnutrition. And mealworms are not at all good to feed Bearded Dragons when they are alive, so obviously feeding them Freeze-Dried mealworms is a huge no-no. Mealworms in general are low in protein, low in vitamins/minerals, very high in fat, and mostly just a pile of very hard, chitlin shells that Dragons have a very hard time digesting and passing in their bowel movements. So when you feed them Freeze-Dried insects you're simply feeding them the hard shells or exoskeletons in the case of crickets, and zero hydration.

Proper LIVE "Staple" Feeder Insects for Bearded Dragons, meaning the live insects that they can eat every day on a regular basis and in high quantities include Crickets, several different species of Roaches including Dubias, Silkworms, and BSFL/Phoenix Worms/NutriGrubs/ReptiWorms/CalciWorms (all the same exact thing, just different brand names). There are some live insects you can feed as occasional treats, a few per week, include Wax Worms, HornWorms, and ButterWorms. And as far as Superworms go, they can be fed as a supplement to their live Staple insects, but should not be fed as the Staple insect because they are extremely high in fat, and when Dragons are fed Superworms as their primary source of live insect protein, the Dragons often end-up with Fatty Liver Disease. For example, I feed large BSFL as my live staple feeder insect, and then my adults who are large enough to handle them get 1-2 appropriately sized Superworms every other day, that's it...But either way, you need to completely stop all of the Freeze-Dried insects, as they are not at all healthy, they'll dehydrate him, and as you can see, they cause bowel impactions and vomiting.

When is the last time your Dragon had a Bowel Movement?

She is pooping regularly, and she is acting fine now, just eating a few pieces of turnip greens, then like getting bored and running off to explore. I do not know the brand of mvb but I know it had high ratings on Amazon. I am using a stick on thermometer so yes it is probably off. And I DO NOT feed her freeze dried mealworms like a staple. I gave them to her a week ago when I ran out of super worms. What other staples are a good choice besides roaches and crickets? Getting her to get water in her is a hassle as she won't drink in the tub or when I drop some on her mouth. She is not gaining or losing any weight as far as I can tell, and she is usually pretty active until later in the afternoon then she starts closing her eyes under the basking spot and wants to sleep

Camhabit

Original Poster
Also, I dust her super worms 3 times a week, and give her around 7. She agent laid eggs since I got her, or went into shed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing? So she is acting better now, after she went to the bathroom?
She has not laid any infertile eggs then?
If you look on the base of the MVB, it should have the brand listed, or on your order
history or receipt from Amazon. It is important to know the brand, because not all
brands are equally good.
She receives 7 superworms, 3 times per week, along with greens?
Since you are using a stick on thermometer, your temperatures are likely off quite a
bit. I would recommend getting a digital probe or temp gun to measure them more
accurately.
There is a possibility she could be developing eggs, since she runs all over the place
& acts crazy. A lot of females do that when they start developing eggs. Has she tried
to scratch around any?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, please spend $10 on a Digital Probe Thermometer, as your temperatures are not correct, and again, this is what is causing the digestion problems, along with feeding her the Freeze-Dried Mealworms. You only have to feed them to her once to cause a problem...Also, in my first post I listed ALL of the adequate staple feeders for Dragons and where to get them...

And please do not at all rely upon Amazon.com reviews for choosing a UVB light, as it's the most important piece of equipment that you buy for your Dragon, and there are a couple of very commonly used, popular MVB lights that are no where near adequate for a Bearded Dragon and that often result in a Calcium Deficiency and MVB in most Dragons who are under them...

Camhabit

Original Poster
Drache613":n6hpwjr0 said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing? So she is acting better now, after she went to the bathroom?
If you look on the base of the MVB, it should have the brand listed, or on your order
history or receipt from Amazon. It is important to know the brand, because not all
brands are equally good.
Since you are using a stick on thermometer, your temperatures are likely off quite a
accurately.
There is a possibility she could be developing eggs, since she runs all over the place
& acts crazy. A lot of females do that when they start developing eggs. Has she tried
to scratch around any?

Tracie

Hello, I'll check when I get home what brand it is from the base, as I do not own the amazon account I originally ordered it off of. I plan on getting a temp gun asap. She glass surfs sometimes a little more than usual, but it's like in spurts like where she doesn't want to bask for like 3 hours, and I'll put her back then she will glass surf 5min after. She doesn't scratch around any that I know of. Thanks for your replies.

Camhabit

Original Poster
Drache613":12w5lq8y said:
Hello,

brands are equally good.
accurately.
to scratch around any?

Tracie

And also she is doing fine now, and the little bubbly noise I think is coming from the nose is only every once in a while oddly enough. Like when I put her in the bath she did it, then last night when I let her sleep on my chest she did it once or twice. But all today I haven't heard a peep. It's odd.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear she is doing better now!
That is strange, a noise coming from her nose. It could be just her glottis opening/closing which
will make a clicking noise. You can't hear it unless it is very quiet.
Is she eating well also?

Tracie

Camhabit

Original Poster
Drache613":1sbfv67s said:
Hello,

That is good to hear she is doing better now!
That is strange, a noise coming from her nose. It could be just her glottis opening/closing which
will make a clicking noise. You can't hear it unless it is very quiet.
Is she eating well also?

Tracie

Still not eating her veggies, which is normal honestly, she is eating her insects when I give them to her every other day, and also she likes does a 'gulping' thing with her beard where it looks like she is swallowing her saliva or something, but that only happens at random times also...so irdk

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Did you check to see exactly what MVB you have? This could very likely be the cause of all of her issues, as there are a couple MVB lights that end up causing the same issues that the very weak, compact and coil UVB light cause...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today, is she basking more yet or still wanting out all of the time?
Definitely let us know how she is doing & what your UVB type & brand is.
I hope she is doing better.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom