Paralysis, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, the vet didn't see the eggs on those x-rays? They were pretty clear to me. LOL
I think also that the pressure is causing some issues with the spine along with rear end
weakness, too from calcium problems.
So she doesn't have a respiratory infection at all then? Poor thing, I am sorry that she is
having so much trouble. At least they don't think that an egg burst so far. I agree, I don't
think surgery at this time is a good option with her having problems vomiting, etc. Hopefully
it wont come to emergency surgery & that she'll be able to pass the eggs on her own. If
her shape has changed some then the eggs may be dropping. I hope that she is able to pass
them on her own.
I hope she starts to feel better soon.... Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

jnwc82

Original Poster
Hello all,

Update Time! (will be listing current, full symptoms at bottom)

Dani came home Monday from the vet's office. I must say, we were not happy with the condition we found Dani in when we got to the vet's office to pick her up. When we took her we had her laying on a hand towel as it was easier for her to be moved around on it. She had a BM on the way there and the tech who took her said she would have the towel cleaned up for Dani. Nope. Actually there were about four more BMs crusted to the towel and her tail along with another hard substance that we later identified as dried vomit. On top of that, when I took Dani out of the tub they had her in, three roaches crawled out of her towel and they were not dubias.

When the doctor came in, I was in tears. We had Dani at the sink trying to clean her tail of the crusted poo. We were informed that Dani did well with her feedings (he was only feeding every other day) and she did not vomit at all. "*cough, cough* Bullshit" Again he reiterated not wanting to perform surgery on her and confirmed he sent off a lab testing her for Atadenovirus. He tested the most fresh of the poos attached to her towel and again stated she has no parasites. He told us that he cannot confirm she is gravid and stated he did not want to do an US as they are highly expensive and we already had one xray done. He said since she is able to pass fecal matter fine then she should have no issue passing eggs. He sent her home with enough Carnivore Care to last the week and sent us on our way. He did ask that we call to keep him updated on her progress. Yeah... No.

In the time Dani was in his care, she lost more weight and became a bit weaker. We have started working diligently on reversing her to the right direction. First thing I did when we got home was to come here and looking into all post strands that discussed beardies vomiting and what could be done to help them. We found out about the difference between Critical Care and Carnivore Care, also about the benefit of soy yogurt. We should be getting the Critical Care today and we bought the yogurt. We have started to mix her liquid calcium in with her yogurt, that seems to be working out well so far.

Next step, hydration. We got some Pedialyte and have been soaking her in half Pedialyte and half water. Also, we mix in a little Pedialyte with her food.

Food. As mentioned before, we only have the Carnivore Care at the moment (Critical Care is on its way). We have been mixing the Carnivore Care with a little summer squash baby food, pedialyte, and a very small amount of soy yogurt. She will have about 2 to 3cc of that with a meal worm or two that we have to put in her mouth for her. We also have a few horn worms and are ordering other small live feeders such as the fly larva thingys... The doctor showed us how to tube feed and we have tried that but it seems to upset her more than if we were to just show some patience and let her open her mouth for us. Case in point, last night she chomped the syringe we were using to give her fluids with, she immediatly started to bleed. We cleaned kept flushing her mouth until the bleeding stopped but she wouldn't let us in to see exactly what happened. We would like to avoid that happening again if at all possible.

Tank. Dani is usual on slate tile but because she may want to lay eggs in something softer, we have converted half of her tank to a light and fluffy topsoil (easier for her to dig in). Dani can move around a little so we are keeping both within a scooting reach.

Lights. As discussed before, Dani has a new Reptisun 10.0 T8 that is 5 to 6 inches from her and a SolarGlo 125w for basking. We have upped the temps in her tank to 97 in her basking spot (any higher and she scoots away) and 85 at night. We have not been measuring her cool side as she has not visited it in a while. Any time she is out of her tank (for feeding or traveling to vet) she is kept on a heating pad at about 95 to 97 degrees.

If you have read this far, thank you!! Please help us get Dani well! We are open to any and all ideas! We have already paid out almost a thousand dollars in vet bills since we started and have been given the run around. We think we have been given better advice from everyone here than the three vets we have been to. Thank you all so much!

Current Symptoms
Paralysis
Vomiting
Lack of Appitite
Lethargic (possible, cant really tell with paralysis...)
Weight Loss
Gravid (her body shape has a bulge that moves down to hips then back to center, not sure what that is about)

Dani's State
Dani spends a good amount of time sleeping but has moments where is clearly alert and looking around. She becomes semi active during feeding time (she still fights us) and will spend hours after feeding time staring at us with a judging glare. Dani has good color and the tip of her tail has gone from a dark grey at the vet's office to a very light grey at home. Dani has not black bearded except for once where she seemed to be choking on vomit. She is breathing well and has no signs of a respiratory infection.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This is outrageuos !! I held back when you posted about the vet keeping her about how this usually ends up badly for the dragon. I've seen SO many where this kind of non treatment was given and the animal either died while at the vets or was in worse condition after being there. It's just unacceptable !! You should have taken pics immediately and posted on their review website. Poor Dani had NO care while there and was neglected terribly in a strange place while they snagged up your hard earned money for mistreating your dragon. I would have demanded a refund on the spot !
Who is this vet ? If you don't want to post their name, I understand but please post your experience on their website, you might save someone's reptile from being killed while stealing your money.

Please never take her back there, I'm just imagining her laying on a filthy towel full of feces + vomit and it makes me sick. Poor thing has gone backwards due to all this stress and is now happy to be home. Just be gentle with the feedings and see if a hornworm will entice her. You can also make smoothies from the carnivore care mixed in a food processor with strawberries, good greens, green beans, bee pollen and or a few drops of raw honey and add the bit of pedialyte to it rather than in the bath.[ Keep baths to a bare minimum, they can chill her + may be stressful ] . She may like the bit of fruit mixed in + if it tastes good to her she may eat it. Poor little thing, my heart hurts when I think of her neglected in that quack's office. Keep going Dani, we are pulling for you !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OMG, Wow, I am so sorry, your poor poor Dani. They did an absolutely horrible job & just
exactly how dirty was that place, roaches crawling out of her towel/blanket!!
Are you serious, he said he couldn't confirm whether or not she had eggs? They are very
evident in the x-rays plus, she is pear shaped.
Instead of tube feeding, will she not take food off of the end of her nose, using a dropper
or syringe? How is her mouth doing?
I agree, try using some honey on her mouth to help keep it from getting infected. I feel
horrible for you & your baby. She has suffered way too much & I'm sure she is so happy to
be home with you now.
The lack of care is disgusting & makes me cry, I am so sorry. It is entirely unacceptable &
extremely cruel.
Please let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

jnwc82

Original Poster
Thank you both for your suggestions and sentiments for Dani! Raw honey has been added to our list for tomorrow! She seems to be holding her food down a little better today.

AHBD, we are currently researching other vets in Houston and surrounding areas who would be willing to perform the hysterectomy once Dani is well. If we cannot find another we will have no choice but to go back to the quack, however we have learned a hard lesson and Dani will not be left with him during or after the surgery. I will insist that I watch the procedure, even if from a window in the door. Our hope is we can find another vet.

Tracie, I'm beginning to think the vets around here need a refresher on gravid beardies! Dani''s shape did change a bit over the past week but I'm not sure if it's just her losing weight.
87235-7980015925.jpg
The thickness that was at her hips seemed to have moved back to center mass.

To answer your question, no Dani will not lick anything off her nose. If we don't put the food in her mouth then she won't eat it. Do you happen to have any suggestions for gentle force feeding? Even forcing her mouth open a little seems to be uncomfortable for her.

Again, thank you both for your help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's looking thin but not terribly so. To get a syringe in her mouth, just pull down the side " lip " and place the syringe there gently. Wiggle it a bit until she opens up. You can try sliding the syringe tip from the side to the front and that might work, but it usually works from the side. If she won't open you can gently grasp her beard in that area and pull it until her mouth opens enough to get the syringe in. Then depress the plunger VERY slowly to make sure she has time to swallow what is in her mouth. Stroke her throat to move it along .

jnwc82

Original Poster
Update:
Dani is on her way back to vet number 1! My boyfriend called and told me she vomited and pooped then went completely limp, her mouth was even hanging open. He worked with her for a few minutes until she started to show some life. We discussed it and he is taking her to the vet now. We are scared she is going down hill to fast for us to stop it at this point and are at a loss for what to do. My boyfriend said he felt something about the size of a peanut by her vent, he said it can be moved a bit. He also told me he couldn't feel a single egg. Will update soon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This is so sad, there is something terribly wrong. He said it feels something like a peanut ? That may actually be an egg. This must be egg related, I still suspect egg yolk peritonitis to be that sick, or else she may have cancer or some type of impaction. I hope the vet can figure something out . She can't get by like this much longer , poor girl. I'm so sorry you're going through this. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH no, I am worried for Dani now. It definitely does sound egg related. I agree, peritonitis
is likely the cause or egg binding. Geez, I am so sorry!
Please let us know how she is doing. I hope she doesn't crash on you. :cry:

Tracie

jnwc82

Original Poster
It is with great sadness that I inform you all Daenerys Stormborn of the House Wilder, Third of Her Name, The Small One, Stinker of Tanks, Devourer of Dubias, Kaleasi of the Great Glass, Breaker of Toys, The Fighter has crossed the Rainbow Bridge after a hard struggle with health issues. Dani fought hard to the end and can finally rest. She was a member of our family for a short time but she will be greatly missed.

87235-8784193457.jpg

87235-6249139430.jpg

87235-1989157955.jpg

Dani made it to the vet and started to perk up. After an exam, xrays, and a long conversation with slave #2, Dani was given a shot of antibiotics and a very grim prognosis. Only two eggs were found in the xray and they were close to her vent. Dani came home and crashed again a few hours later. Dani did not recover as well the second time and a short time later passed while receiving what would be her last snuggles. We want to thank everyone here for their time, advice, and love sent to Dani. Dani made such a huge impression on our household and her presence is already sorely missed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that Dani didn't make it. :cry: I hate to hear that, how awful for
you & your family. Dani was with you & she knew how much she was love & she wasn't alone.
I think that's the most important thing. I know it's a terrible & painful loss for you.
We are all here for you.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So sorry to hear that your girl Dani is gone. ! :( I never got a notification , I would have replied much sooner. I just saw your new thread with fears of ADV for your other dragons.

But my heart goes out to you + your family, I know you're devastated.....so hard to lose them. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom